advertisement

Cycling log - random events in the day of a cyclist

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got knocked off my Triban 3 last Friday - Friday 13th - and although I'm okay apart from some aches and scrapes, my bike is no more. The wheels were buckled and the drive train wouldn't move up to the big chainring. Admittedly, the bike was suffering from wear and tear anyway and needed investment regardless. But after the crash, I thought I'd be as well to let her go and invest in a new commuter as repairing wouldn't be cost-effective. Gumtree to the rescue and I bought a Triban 500 flat-bar in excellent condition for £160 :)

I left my Triban 3 on the street in the hope that someone would take her and fix her up... and I'm pleased to say she's gone. I just wish I'd removed the saddle though as the one on the Triban 500 doesn't fit my bum yet lol

Got a puncture on my first day out on the Triban 500 so I bought a pair of Continental 700x25c GP4000ii tyres last night and hopefully, they'll be here before Christmas.

I also bought these SKS and these Zefal mudguards and I'll fit whichever set looks like they'll fit best between the tyres and v-brakes, if any as clearance will be borderline.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Good lord guys the UK sounds like a cyclist war zone. Glad you're both OK.

I find punctures are almost always the rear, and good as GP4000s are they are no match for Gatorskins for puncture protection so I usually have a gatorskin on the rear and a ultrasport2 (cheap, grippy, low rolling resistance, not puncture resistant) on the front. If you flat the rear again you might want to look at something like a gatorskin for the rear.

Last commute of the year. Boris bike, waxed jacket and work not cycle gear. Highly damp on the way there. Completely drenched on the way back. Reminded me of journeys from the Wirral to Liverpool in the 70's 80's when waterproof cycling gear wasn't quite developed. Quite enjoyed it but hopefully as a one off!!!
( yes I do have full bike wet weather kit for proper rides but when I commute it's in civvies on a Boris bike )

Anybody else suffers from cold feet? I had a ride out on Wednesday and a pleasurable ride turned into a miserable one because of cold feet, despite having thermal socks, shoes lined with tinfoil and neoprene overshoes on I just couldn't get warm. The cleats were acting like heat sinks. Roll-on spring!

Anybody else suffers from cold feet? I had a ride out on Wednesday and a pleasurable ride turned into a miserable one because of cold feet, despite having thermal socks, shoes lined with tinfoil and neoprene overshoes on I just couldn't get warm. The cleats were acting like heat sinks. Roll-on spring!
If it's that cold don't ride. Really not worth it. Speaking from bitter experience.

If it's that cold don't ride. Really not worth it. Speaking from bitter experience.
I hear you, I really do. The thing is, I start to get a guilt trip if I don't go out, especially when the weather looks ok. I try and ride at least three times a week, this doesn't always work out due to the grandparent duties I'm committed to.

I hear you, I really do. The thing is, I start to get a guilt trip if I don't go out, especially when the weather looks ok. I try and ride at least three times a week, this doesn't always work out due to the grandparent duties I'm committed to.
Oh we all get cyclists guilt;) I always want to do at least 100 miles a week, blast past that in the warmer months but more challenging in winter. One bad injury though & it properly ruins the enjoyment unfortunately.

Aldi do Ski socks, quite long come up to the knee & are the best winter socks I've used. I think they were about £4. Worn under tights/leg warmers obviously.

I use Aldi's cycling socks, "Crane brand." as for tights it's either Castelli or Lusso depending on how cold it is. This cold feet thing must be age related, me thinks.

A word of warning. I bought some own brand wheels from Chain Reaction, I believe they are called 'Prime', I just wanted them to see me through winter, nothing more. Rear wheel has popped two spokes & front hub has snapped.

A Derby man is recovering with a cup of tea following the discovery of some "dry tarmac" a few miles west of Derby city. The man involved said: "I was doing my usual 35 mile loop, when I noticed that some sections of road were a nice matt grey, rather than shiny black as is usually the case - there must have been several kilometers of the stuff, it's just weird!"
Mr Taylor is 65.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back