advertisement

Cycling log - random events in the day of a cyclist II

It’s not a basic helmet. I am always happy to spend a bit more on a helmet, more down to fit & ventilation though.

3 piece helmet, eps core, PC outer and straps, it doesn't get more basic. No dual density, no anti-torque liner, no mips, nothing.

Just finished day 3 of 5 of an extended King Alfred Way (mainly off road) jaunt. Short day today compared with the first two which had me on my last legs, particularly yesterday..106k. But thoroughly enjoying it..!
And now enjoying a nice cold pint in the pub I'm staying at.
Not easy cycling - lots of overgrown singletrack so legs and arms are ripped and stung, and a fair few sections of rutted muddy trails which demand attention.. but wonderful views and the weather has held up nicely.
@Ibbots - nice work, keep it up!!

This Uvex cycle helmet is currently reduced to £15 @ Amazon from £50+ (give or take a few pennies). I don't have prime just now so I ended up buying two. But considering my history with cars, I probably should have bought three lol

81OHLEeIMWL._AC_UL320_.jpg
Thanks for this, just bought one and made up the amount for free postage with a bottle of whisky. Win-win.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Funny/stupid cyclist encounter yesterday in Herne Hill, London. I was driving to the plumbers merchants to pick up some pipe and other fittings when I came up behind two cyclists about 20m apart. I held back as the road is narrow and we were approaching a zebra crossing. Two people approached to cross and the first cyclist went straight through but to be fair he would have struggled to stop, but the chap behind was riding a good bit more steadily and the pedestrians assumed he would stop so set off to cross. However he didn't stop and they ended up jumping back on to the kerb to avoid him as he cycled straight through. I then stopped and let them cross and one of the pedestrians yelled at me to have a word with said cyclist if I caught up. About 400m down the road I came up alongside him so slowed and wound the passenger window down and politely pointed out that he should have stopped at the zebra crossing. His reply was perfectly polite too and he said 'Yes I know, but I don't have any brakes which is why I going quite slowly'. When I looked at his bike he didn't have any brakes... none!!! I was speechless so decided to get on my way. :D I am a cyclist myself and the thought of getting on a bike in London (or anywhere else) with no brakes would simply not compute!

Play stupid games you win stupid prizes, he'll regret that choice when he's under a bus or in court for killing a pedestrian.

It's illegal in the UK to ride any bike on the road without both front and rear brakes.

Play stupid games you win stupid prizes, he'll regret that choice when he's under a bus or in court for killing a pedestrian.

It's illegal in the UK to ride any bike on the road without both front and rear brakes.

I thought front brake was the minimum?

EDIT: Ah, it would seem you can ride a fixie with only a front brake, but a freewheel bicycle must have two brakes fitted.

I thought front brake was the minimum?

EDIT: Ah, it would seem you can ride a fixie with only a front brake, but a freewheel bicycle must have two brakes fitted.
Yes, have to say I didn’t know the law regarding brakes, but as I have common sense I don’t really need to. :D

Working brakes are a legal requirement and of course common sense. As is routine bike maintenance. A few weeks ago a rider in my group punctured and his valve nut had fused with the valve ( grit, muck, rust etc ) . We only got it off by using the contents of a tool box donated by a person in a nearby house. Today at a stop we noticed his tube was poking out of a hole in his thread bare tyre. I offered to boot it but no, he rode on for 100m and bang!!
He put a boot in but then punctured 2 tubes by pinching them with his tyre levers! I rolled on his tyre for the third tube. That got him moving. He decided to take a short cut home. Of course we later passed him hiking to the nearest bike shop.
Tyres may be slightly more expensive since Brexit but it's money well spent and a bit of care and maintenance saves so much grief at the roadside.

Dusted down the road bike for the first time since last year (been MTB'ing every chance I get). And had a sudden Eureka moment when, after about 15km, I realised it was so uncomfortable to ride on the drops because I'd tilted the bars up too far and my wrists had to twist to hold the straight part of the ergo drop. I'm pretty sure they've been in roughly the same position since I hastily built it 6 years ago, since when I've done about 10,000km on it.

Cue stopping at the side of the road and: changing bar angle, removing handlebar tape, moving brifters, rewinding bar tape and moving a headset spacer above the stem before I set off again. However, the adjustment was night and day and now it's way more comfortable to ride. Result.

Just finished extended King Alfred Way....475km in 5 days, mainly off road...completely exhausted, but happy.
Muddy, smelly, sunburnt, legs and arms scratched to hell, feel like I've been through a tumble dryer.
Will sleep well tonight.

Nice 28 mile coastal San Diego ride. Lots of new bike paths separated from traffic, the city has actually invested some decent money for cyclists, and it shows by the numbers out today.

Oh and a plug for Caselli Arenberg Gel gloves, used them the first time today and they are incredible, the padding isn't overly thick, but works very well. I usually get some hand tingling on rides, none at all with these gloves, not inexpensive but highly recommended.

Nice 28 mile coastal San Diego ride. Lots of new bike paths separated from traffic, the city has actually invested some decent money for cyclists, and it shows by the numbers out today.

Oh and a plug for Caselli Arenberg Gel gloves, used them the first time today and they are incredible, the padding isn't overly thick, but works very well. I usually get some hand tingling on rides, none at all with these gloves, not inexpensive but highly recommended.

Ooo, I might have to try that as I really suffer from the tingles (not the ASMR type).

As we are talking of brakes, I had my front disc caliper fail today, it's about 3 years old and an Ultegra R8070. I have had brake squealing trouble with it for the past year, keep cleaning and flattening pads and rotors but the squeal comes back. Today, it was working fine for around 15 miles and over the course of a mile or so and smallish rolling descents the lever got softer and softer until the brake failed completely. I could feel oil on the caliper body but not the rotor so cycled home slowly with just the rear working.

A bit of internet searching seems to indicate this can be an issue and means a new caliper which is disappointing at £66 or so.

As we are talking of brakes, I had my front disc caliper fail today, it's about 3 years old and an Ultegra R8070. I have had brake squealing trouble with it for the past year, keep cleaning and flattening pads and rotors but the squeal comes back. Today, it was working fine for around 15 miles and over the course of a mile or so and smallish rolling descents the lever got softer and softer until the brake failed completely. I could feel oil on the caliper body but not the rotor so cycled home slowly with just the rear working.

A bit of internet searching seems to indicate this can be an issue and means a new caliper which is disappointing at £66 or so.
Not sure about the oil leak, but soft squealing brakes usually need bleeding.

advertisement

Back