advertisement

Cycling log - random events in the day of a cyclist II

I have never replaced a tire when nails / staples have gone straight through the tread - only when they go through the sidewall. You could remove the tire and see if the casing appears damaged on the inside, but I'd be quite surprised if the tire needs replacing.

Just changed out all 4 tyres in my wife and my road bikes, went for a ride today, industrial type staple right through the tire and into the inner tube of the wife's front wheel. At least I was pretty quick at the repair as I had just practiced on 4 changes a few days earlier. Not sure whether to replace the tire, $50 , but probably worth it to have my wife feel safe.
No, provided it's just a clean puncture with no tearing of the structure. As said earlier, you only need to replace it if the sidewall or other structural bit is damaged.

I did Cas to York on Friday afternoon/evening, with a pal. Lovely ride, with a coffee and banana stop at 47k. 87k in all, so 55 miles, near enough. I find it starts to hurt after ~100k, so I was glad to get back to his place, drink beer and eat mightily.

So after a couple of days in the saddle last week, I got all enthusiastic and am off to do the King Alfred Way tomorrow morning. Only decided to go for it yesterday, and have beds booked and bike packed and much nervousness today...with a bit of an extra bit (Southdowns Way) to get onto the loop it'll be about 460km all in....hopefully home next Saturday night... :eek:

Hoping for some good pubs on the way.:)

This was very nearly a random event of the unwanted kind... Our tandem has a frame with S&S couplings, so has threaded cable connectors for the two gear cables and the rear brake cable (brakes which are very meaty 200mm discs). Glad I noticed THIS, just in time by the look of it...
IMG_7613 by Ian123_running, on Flickr

Ooooh that's a trip over a dry stone wall at full tilt just waiting to happen...
I know .... I'm a bit shaky thinking about it particularly as we are thinking of a fully loaded hilly camping trip soon.... Love the tandem to bits but the idea of crashing with my wife on the back is too horrible to think about! To be fair I was closely checking the brakes and cables (with the trip in mind) when I spotted this, so the inspection worked and I've convinced my wife I saved her from certain death. She just brought me a G&T!!

This Uvex cycle helmet is currently reduced to £15 @ Amazon from £50+ (give or take a few pennies). I don't have prime just now so I ended up buying two. But considering my history with cars, I probably should have bought three lol

81OHLEeIMWL._AC_UL320_.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I've been struggling to get back fit again after having a benign brain tumour removed about 15 months ago. Damage to my neck meant have had difficulty holding my head up so have mostly been on the mtb until now. The tumour and a large cyst were in the cerebellum and I was told may have long lasting effect on metabolism and fitness. Most noticeable effect was not being able to control my heart rate and it would be up at 180bpm and stay there with just a few pedal strokes.

Started trying to ride after about 3 months and I have had a few false starts, having to stop riding completely for a couple of weeks at a time. I have been building up mtb rides and taking the dog for long, brisk walks every morning before work ( this is my commute now) and the HR has been improving. It is only in the last couple of months that I have just been feeling unfit and overweight instead of there being something else wrong.

Just got back from my first +50k road ride which included a couple of the local nasty climbs. Took me at least half an hour longer than it should but feels like a bit of an achievement.

I think I will be lying down for the rest of the day.

Fantastic news - I hope your recovery continues. Only a small percentage of the adult population would be able to do the ride you did, so to have done it after your recovery is a great achievement.
Thank you, although doesn't feel that great when being passed by some lycra whippet on a climb going passed so fast they can't hear me yell 'Ive had me brain out. I used to be somebody on Strava, you know!?'

Thank you, although doesn't feel that great when being passed by some lycra whippet on a climb going passed so fast they can't hear me yell 'Ive had me brain out. I used to be somebody on Strava, you know!?'

I rode a bike at the weekend, for the first time in quite a while. My place up north is close to the Glenlivet bike trails, only about 4 miles away, but little did I know there were some nasty (at my currently very low level of bike fitness anyway!) hills on the way. I'm glad I took a MTB, not the road bike!

One of the climbs in the "100 Greatest Cycling Climbs" book is also very close, but I certainly can't see myself doing that anytime soon as it's a monster with a 10/10 rating in the book.

I rode a bike at the weekend, for the first time in quite a while. My place up north is close to the Glenlivet bike trails, only about 4 miles away, but little did I know there were some nasty (at my currently very low level of bike fitness anyway!) hills on the way. I'm glad I took a MTB, not the road bike!

One of the climbs in the "100 Greatest Cycling Climbs" book is also very close, but I certainly can't see myself doing that anytime soon as it's a monster with a 10/10 rating in the book.
I was rather missing the mtb gears on some (all) of the climbs today. Sounds lovely where you are.

I was rather missing the mtb gears on some (all) of the climbs today. Sounds lovely where you are.

It's a bit of a cycling Mecca and we get a lot of cyclists passing through the village. When I was out at lunch time there was a big group (20+ maybe) of riders with matching orange shirts on that seemed to be doing a charity ride, and there were a couple of touring cyclists heading the other way as well. Some of the groups that pass through seem to be vehicle supported organised rides (I've seen a Saddle Skeddadle van here a few time), some are small groups doing rides like LeJoG and some are club rides.

I've got the lightweight climbing wheels on the Roubaix, along with a 11-32 cassette, so will see if I can find some less hilly bits to get out on that soon.

Well done for getting out, 50kms with hills is not to be sniffed at. If it makes you feel any better one of the local hitters round here was owned by 3 minutes on a hilly TT by James ‘thingy’ Shaw. There’s always someone better but all you can do is be the best version of yourself.

advertisement

Back