advertisement

Cycling log - random events in the day of a cyclist II

Today's mini-rant is about gate etiquette :)

I got overtaken by a chap on an EMTB on an ascent on a tarmacced bridleway. There is a gate half way down the following descent. I was approaching the gate at about 20 MPH, the chap looked up and appeared to be holding the gate open for me to ride through (he was already stationary, so may as well close it). But no, he just rides off and leaves it open so that I have to stop to close it.
In over 20 years of cycling I have never seen such blatant disregard for gate etiquette. :mad:
What is the world coming to?
Selfish snatch!

And I thought he was going to slam it shut just as you arrived :D

A lot of the eBikers I see in here in the Pentlands clearly don't have much cycling experience, especially off-road, and don't know much about etiquette. More often that caused them to annoy walkers by passing them too close and too fast, but I've also seen the same issues with gates etc.

Grrrr... was hoping to start back on the bike today after a 4 month forced break. Some of you may recall that I hydrocele in my right ball i.e. It was the size of a grapefruit, so ended up having private surgery. My younger self would have been disappointed in me but it was a 2 year wait on the NHS.
Consultant says I need an additional 2 weeks off and then I can resume. I don't care what the weather is like in 2 weeks, I will be out there.
In the meantime, happy cycling all.

Today's mini-rant is about gate etiquette :)

I got overtaken by a chap on an EMTB on an ascent on a tarmacced bridleway. There is a gate half way down the following descent. I was approaching the gate at about 20 MPH, the chap looked up and appeared to be holding the gate open for me to ride through (he was already stationary, so may as well close it). But no, he just rides off and leaves it open so that I have to stop to close it.
In over 20 years of cycling I have never seen such blatant disregard for gate etiquette. :mad:
What is the world coming to?
Selfish snatch!
He could have shut it before you arrived;)

Simple and logical: If you have stopped to open a gate and somebody is following, then the 1st person does all the gate stuff and everybody else gets to keep their momentum.

If you have a series of gates a different person "does" the gate each time. Weaker riders are generally excused gate duty, 'cos they never get to gates first!

In the example earlier today, I was 2nd to the gate and was also a weak rider by virtue of my puny legs versus his motor!

So after a couple of days in the saddle last week, I got all enthusiastic and am off to do the King Alfred Way tomorrow morning. Only decided to go for it yesterday, and have beds booked and bike packed and much nervousness today...with a bit of an extra bit (Southdowns Way) to get onto the loop it'll be about 460km all in....hopefully home next Saturday night... :eek:

Hoping for some good pubs on the way.:)

Brilliant, I like the sound of that, we've got friends who live down that way and I've ridden on the South Downs a few times now

I did my longest road ride on Tuesday, we rode from just north of Nottingham to Skegness and back (178 miles)
it's a decent route with some really nice villages and cafe stops, the worst part of it is the actual destination
I've never been a fan of Skegness TBH but it was absolutely packed so it must do something for some?
Quick can of coke and then the long ride home,

I did my longest road ride on Tuesday, we rode from just north of Nottingham to Skegness and back (178 miles)
it's a decent route with some really nice villages and cafe stops, the worst part of it is the actual destination
I've never been a fan of Skegness TBH but it was absolutely packed so it must do something for some?
Top effort that. Used to do Sheffield to Cleethorpes quite a bit. Tend to find it drags somewhat when you do above 120 miles.

Top effort that. Used to do Sheffield to Cleethorpes quite a bit. Tend to find it drags somewhat when you do above 120 miles.

Cheers thanks

totally agree regarding it dragging after a certain mileage, I think you just become fed up of being on a bike

I can't see me doing that mileage again for that very reason

I do enjoy 100 milers but I reckon that's enough

Cheers thanks

totally agree regarding it dragging after a certain mileage, I think you just become fed up of being on a bike

I can't see me doing that mileage again for that very reason

I do enjoy 100 milers but I reckon that's enough
I try & do at least one 100 miler a year but unlikely currently due to lack of organisation.

I usually find I’ve had enough after about 3-4 hours.

Grrrr... was hoping to start back on the bike today after a 4 month forced break. Some of you may recall that I hydrocele in my right ball i.e. It was the size of a grapefruit, so ended up having private surgery. My younger self would have been disappointed in me but it was a 2 year wait on the NHS.
Consultant says I need an additional 2 weeks off and then I can resume. I don't care what the weather is like in 2 weeks, I will be out there.
In the meantime, happy cycling all.
Hang in there Glenda and take whatever time is needed. I was gutted when I cracked my ankle (forced dorsiflexion) back in July 2013, kept me off the bike for 12 months and then slow recovery. Similar when I broke my wrist in 2017, I could only turbo train with that arm held up in the air lots of laughs and put me back 18 months and another 12 months to feel strong again.

But (hopefully) we do get to make these things ever distant memories and get regular riding in again.

Last edited:
I hope youre not admitting to having ebike friends?

Burn the witch...

Haha, no.
I know a couple of people who have them. One guy, who is a complete tit, was boasting at the pub how he won a local long distance MTB race on his chipped e-bike (carried a spare battery). He did indeed win the E-bike category, as he should with a bike than can do 45MPH, however 3 people on leg powered bikes beat him!!!!!!

Despite the above, I will be purchasing an e-MTB. I rode up Mastilles Lane a few week ago,along with a couple of other significant climbs and realised just how much better it would have been to equalise the "up" time and "down" times a bit!

Hell bells!! How long does that take?

60 miles is my limit - too much r-sake to go much further.

was just over 10 hours pedalling time,averaged 17.5mph
couple of cafe stops and a trip to Halfords once we were in Skegness for a new tyre for one of the lads meant I was out the house for approx 12 hours

I've also not done much over 60 miles in a single ride, although used to do those sorts of distances quite regularly when I was riding with a club. I've had doing a 100 miler on my to-do list for ages, so must get around to it sometime.

was just over 10 hours pedalling time,averaged 17.5mph
couple of cafe stops and a trip to Halfords once we were in Skegness for a new tyre for one of the lads meant I was out the house for approx 12 hours

Respect!
I guess it's easier in a group, but even so!

Been out today, very heavy legs after a rather unhealthy dinner the night before (plus drinks). Pretty flat but 47 miles at 18mph average felt harder than it should. Pretty strong headwind at times & I seem to be going through a fitness trough.

advertisement

Back