advertisement

Cycling log - random events in the day of a cyclist II

I took a pic of the freewheel. It turns out my Triban 500 has SRAM groupset so I don't know if the Shimano freewheel posted the other day is compatible. The pic isn't great as the camera in my phone is pants... just like my cleaning skills I'm afraid to say.

51136875206_56e929e80f_c.jpg

EDIT: Is this the same freewheel from Decathlon but at half the price of the one on Amazon?
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/freewheel-screw-on-7-speed-14x28-tz21-shimano/_/R-p-X8627517

Cycle-friendly canal path scaffolding steps... with a terrifying gradient! Wait till you see the shot towards the end of the short clip to appreciate how steep one section of the ascent/descent is. For people who can't carry their bike up/down the steps, using the ramp to push/guide their bike up/down is simply not an option. Well-intentioned but completely impractical!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-56775841

_118179770_7dadc5e3-9e79-4be6-b3dd-086a0a545a57.jpg

Cycle-friendly canal path scaffolding steps... with a terrifying gradient! Wait till you see the shot towards the end of the short clip to appreciate how steep one section of the ascent/descent is. For people who can't carry their bike up/down the steps, using the ramp to push/guide their bike up/down is simply not an option. Well-intentioned but completely impractical!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-56775841

_118179770_7dadc5e3-9e79-4be6-b3dd-086a0a545a57.jpg
That looks incredibly dangerous, obviously designed by someone who has never ridden a bike. You will get ‘kidz’ on BMX or MTBs racing down it & others struggling to navigate it pushing a bike. Terrible

That looks incredibly dangerous, obviously designed by someone who has never ridden a bike. You will get ‘kidz’ on BMX or MTBs racing down it & others struggling to navigate it pushing a bike. Terrible

Yeah, I bet the daredevil kidz will be loving it, and I totally agree it was obviously designed by somebody who knows nothing about bikes. Sticking to a budget, perhaps. But bikes? Not so much.

Yeah, I bet the daredevil kidz will be loving it, and I totally agree it was obviously designed by somebody who knows nothing about bikes. Sticking to a budget, perhaps. But bikes? Not so much.
Cyclist crashes into pedestrian on towpath, puts infrastructure plans back 10 years & acts as a dog whistle for all the mouth breathing motorists.

The gradient needs to be far gentler with clear priorities so walkers & cyclists can co exist. I am not convinced that towpaths work for cyclists anyway, usually too narrow.

Not so much sticking to a budget as sticking to regulations in a rigid and unimaginative fashion, while minimising costs. Stairs are heavily prescribed and any deviation from the regs will have the ambulance chasing lawyers round with their tape measures very quickly after any incident. Note that the contractor said "it's within the regs".

Honestly, how much extra would it have cost to put in a few extra stages to lessen out the gradient? I know where it is but I don't ride there, there will definitely be kids from the Meadows with jump bikes eyeing that up around there.

I took a pic of the freewheel. It turns out my Triban 500 has SRAM groupset so I don't know if the Shimano freewheel posted the other day is compatible. The pic isn't great as the camera in my phone is pants... just like my cleaning skills I'm afraid to say.

51136875206_56e929e80f_c.jpg

EDIT: Is this the same freewheel from Decathlon but at half the price of the one on Amazon?
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/freewheel-screw-on-7-speed-14x28-tz21-shimano/_/R-p-X8627517
The decathlon price is a good deal - but it's out of stock. You can just make out the word SHIMANO on the largest cog of the freewheel in your picture.
Freewheels can be very hard to get off the bike, so the first thing I'd do is try to get the existing one off.

You'll need a freewheel removing tool - which is probably NOT the same as a cassette remover (although they look the same).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00IL5NFV2/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

The comments indicate that folks have used this one to remove Shimano freewheels.

Here's a (much) cheaper option:

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tools/bike-hand-cassette-remover-for-shimano/?geoc=US

Alternatively if you're on good terms with a local bike shop they can remove the freewheel and may be able to order a replacement. Installing the replacement is easy as pedaling tightens it.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Peak idiocy in the Peaks today. Motorbikes & Quads doing over 80mph on Strines moor despite it being popular with cyclists & walkers. 6 of them close passed be at speed round a bend. When I rode past them later, as per they had stopped to smoke tabs & have banter, they just thought it was hilarious when I mentioned it. Utter dicks.

On the same ride a car passed me so close he almost brushed my knee, guess what, he had MTB on the roof rack. I mean, how thick are these people. There was also the usual stupid parking & knobs in high performance cars sitting in traffic jams.

The decathlon price is a good deal - but it's out of stock. You can just make out the word SHIMANO on the largest cog of the freewheel in your picture.
Freewheels can be very hard to get off the bike, so the first thing I'd do is try to get the existing one off.

You'll need a freewheel removing tool - which is probably NOT the same as a cassette remover (although they look the same).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00IL5NFV2/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

The comments indicate that folks have used this one to remove Shimano freewheels.

Here's a (much) cheaper option:

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tools/bike-hand-cassette-remover-for-shimano/?geoc=US

Alternatively if you're on good terms with a local bike shop they can remove the freewheel and may be able to order a replacement. Installing the replacement is easy as pedaling tightens it.

You're right, it does say Shimano on the picture. I was sure I'd seen it myself before but when I saw SRAM on the rear derailleur I thought I might have been mistaken. The 7-speed freewheel is showing in stock at my nearest Decathlon so I'll cycle over during the week. I was only a mile or two away from it yesterday but I didn't know what I was looking for yet and I wouldn't have had a lot of time to spare I never cycled down to have a look. I'll see if they've got one of the freewheel removal tools as well. From what I've read online I should probably get a new chain as well. I've got a chainwear tool so I can always check it out before I buy a new chain. Either way, I think I now have a plan - cheers Sean :)

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I took my bike into Wellington (NZ) for a couple of nights last week. I was staying up a hill and when I went to ride home the right pedal started to wobble.

Turns out it was the death of the crank. The pedals were way over tight when I bought the bike and after I managed to crack them off the thread was damaged on the right side. I figured this day would come.

The crank is octalink ultegra, and I wasn't too excited about having to replace that AND the bottom bracket. Then I remembered I bought an octalink dura ace crankset very cheap off the auction site years ago and never got around to using it.
I just dug it out and installed it. I'm a happy chappy. Sometimes hoarding pays off.

Just changed out all 4 tyres in my wife and my road bikes, went for a ride today, industrial type staple right through the tire and into the inner tube of the wife's front wheel. At least I was pretty quick at the repair as I had just practiced on 4 changes a few days earlier. Not sure whether to replace the tire, $50 , but probably worth it to have my wife feel safe.

advertisement

Back