advertisement

Current worth of your hifi?

Mike,

Flatpopely isn't a mod at Audioflat. He is Audioflat, well, metaphorically.

Joe

More importantly what's the ratio of media to gear cost. About 5:1 in favour of media. And cables, less than 1% of total.

....... but I'm interested if you've kept the original boxes. In audio terms, keeping original boxes means you are still on a journey and have not arrived at your destination./QUOTE]

Well, that's a shock, 'cos I was convinced I was nearly there after all that time, but seeing that I have original boxes for every item bar one, I'm nowhere NEAR the end of the trail; (except Naim, who, without consulting me, decided to re-package my ex. condition Nat 01 boxes last year by their bland bits of cardboard :mad:)

One of the weird things about any hobby like this is that the money involved can look large, especially when compared to what the average household spends on the equivalent gear.

I like to think of it in terms of car prices. If I look down my street, most people have a car which is under 5 years old, and come in around £30k each. They appear to spend this sort of money every 5 years without anyone batting an eyelid, or getting much joy from the experience.

One of the weird things about any hobby like this is that the money involved can look large, especially when compared to what the average household spends on the equivalent gear.

I like to think of it in terms of car prices. If I look down my street, most people have a car which is under 5 years old, and come in around £30k each. They appear to spend this sort of money every 5 years without anyone batting an eyelid, or getting much joy from the experience.

A very good point but sometimes driving a good car (it doesn't have to be expensive) can be enjoyable.

A few grand I guess. Happily everything I own could be turned into what I paid as it was all 2nd hand.

Much more tied into my current piano collection! Anyone want a piano?

It doesn't bother me how much I've spent on my system (a small car?) - what does bother me is the the cost of the components I'm storing in boxes that I've never gotten around to selling on. If I could recoup half of its worth I could buy... more! ;)

Unique? All amplification from phono stage to power amp plus all power supplies etc designed and built by me and they are the only ones in existence... will that do for the unique part?:)

While wheels are an important part of life I shudder at the money I wasted on changing the car every three years money wasted I now admit.

Unique? All amplification from phono stage to power amp plus all power supplies etc designed and built by me and they are the only ones in existence... will that do for the unique part?:)

How many unique objects d'you want ? :). Essentially, unique means 'one off'. 'Quite unique' and 'very unique' etc. don't really have relevance.

Main system in the living room is worth more now than I paid at the time.

Best value has been the kitchen. Meridian F80. Bought ex demo. Still the the best sounding radio and Spotify streaming thing (via a docked ipad 2) that I've ever heard.

Can you follow the bass? Ooh yeah. 8 years of total value. And counting. Please don't blow up tomorrow now I've said that.

advertisement

Back