advertisement

Current worth of your hifi?

One of the weird things about any hobby like this is that the money involved can look large, especially when compared to what the average household spends on the equivalent gear.

I like to think of it in terms of car prices. If I look down my street, most people have a car which is under 5 years old, and come in around £30k each. They appear to spend this sort of money every 5 years without anyone batting an eyelid, or getting much joy from the experience.
Well, up to a point, but while you almost certainly own your hi-fi outright, whatever its value, most of the people in your street with £30k cars have them on finance deals and could never afford to own them outright.

Anyway, my kit would cost about £20k to buy new. I paid about £4k for it. Same with my car. Ive bought houses with the money I've saved.

It used to be thought quite vulgar discussing food and the value of one's possessions, salary &c.

Well, up to a point, but while you almost certainly own your hi-fi outright, whatever its value, most of the people in your street with £30k cars have them on finance deals and could never afford to own them outright.

Anyway, my kit would cost about £20k to buy new. I paid about £4k for it. Same with my car. Ive bought houses with the money I've saved.

It used to be thought quite vulgar discussing food and the value of one's possessions, salary &c.
That’s an equation I could never understand- You’d go through an estate and the pairs of cars on the paved-over front gardens were worth more than the house! I didn’t know about financing then.

More than I would like 'her indoors' to know about:)

A sentiment possibly expressed above but I haven't trawled through....

Jim

There’s a guy at work who smokes 20 B&H every day. So does his wife.
So, he gets them from Asda at £12.20 per pack.
That’s £8900 per year. But nobody bats an eyelid.
I’ve had my most of my gear 20 years or more. I don’t need to do the maths, really. I’ve known that guy 10 years (£89k) but he has smoked for 40.

Last edited:
I’ve had my most of my gear 20 years or more. I don’t need to do the maths, really. I’ve known that guy 10 years (£89k) but he has smoked for 40.

I don't think they've been £12.20 a pack for 40 years, I can remember when fags were dirt cheap and I'm not 40 yet, they've certainly rocketed up in price over the past 10 years though.

I don't think they've been £12.20 a pack for 40 years, I can remember when fags were dirt cheap and I'm not 40 yet, they've certainly rocketed up in price over the past 10 years though.

But if he had saved that money, or even bought things on HP or with loans? My parents certainly had better lives when they stopped way back in ‘81. (When I joined the RAF...)

But if he had saved that money, or even bought things on HP or with loans? My parents certainly had better lives when they stopped way back in ‘81. (When I joined the RAF...)

Oh yeah don't get me wrong I completely get your point and agree 100%, my sister stopped at the new year and has saved a reasonable amount (for her, she's not well off) and she only smoked about 5-7 a day.

PS; If it were up top me it would be banned full stop, bloody horrible habit.

So what?

He likes a fag, you like hi-fi and moderately fast cars.

You won't see this since you ignore me, but one of your mates will no doubt snitch....

advertisement

Back