advertisement

Current worth of your hifi?

Rosewood LP12/Ittock/Troika should be worth a few bob.
However my CB250 and Hicap have been recapped by me, Hicap has also been TRR4'd and MR Tibb'd, as has my 32.5 which also has 821 modules.
So the Naim kit is definitely not original and not worth much at all.
But it sounds pretty good with its KEF speakers and NAD D1050 DAC so I don't care.

With the exception of the Linn SARAs, which are totally unique,

Unique is unique; cannot be qualified, but I do wonder what is unique about Saras; after all, there were lots made, or unless you've modified them somewhat.

My system is priceless because there was too much of a hassle in getting the right combination together after trying for 50 years. Enjoyable journey in parts, though. Still very tempted, but only in the vinyl replay area and headphones (a relatively new adventure).

Unique is unique; cannot be qualified, but I do wonder what is unique about Saras; after all, there were lots made, or unless you've modified them somewhat.

My system is priceless because there was too much of a hassle in getting the right combination together after trying for 50 years. Enjoyable journey in parts, though. Still very tempted, but only in the vinyl replay area and headphones (a relatively new adventure).

Have a read here about the unique Linn Saras!
http://www.audioflat.co.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=178

Main system:
Linn Classik - £350
Harbeth P3-ES2 speakers - £600
Sonos Connect - £150
Speaker Cable (from Maplins) - £5

Bedroom:
iLoud Mini Monitors - £180
Google Chrome Audio - £20

Cheap, simple, reliable, good.

Last edited:
I’d echo the sentiment that my systems worth is in the journey made to arrive at the sound I’m getting. A huge sum in time and commitment!

My system is probably worth nothing on the open market as it is all home made and people won't buy diy'ed hifi unless they get it for pennies.

Doesn't bother me in the slightest though. What does bother me is how difficult it would be to replace if I had to.

To go out and buy second hand, like for like, something like £3k. Insurance new-for-old, terrifying. What are 2 x pairs of the current Quad ESLs worth?

As to my music collection, the CDs used to be worth something and now they are worthless, bar a couple of minor collectables. The vinyl might be worth a bit, but not that much. How do you value 100 LPs that are on Discogs at £2 each? £200? Great, sure, go out and get that for them.

I’m not that interested in what your hi-fi cost you or what it would cost to replace, but I'm interested if you've kept the original boxes. In audio terms, keeping original boxes means you are still on a journey and have not arrived at your destination, as evidenced poignantly by this blog post by The Audiophile's Wife

In an unexpected turn of events, The Audiophile proclaimed he is content with his current system. At least that's what I think he said. I could be wrong or delusional or having one of those really long dreams that will culminate with me screaming like a quadriplegic mime. All I know is what happened next seems to confirm his theoretical satisfaction.

If you are an audiophile you may want to sit down for this next bit because it may cause heart palpitations, excessive sweating, mood swings, severe headaches, temporary blindness, or the baffling inability to win at rock-paper-scissors for the rest of your life. Here goes: The Audiophile. Got rid. Of some of his original boxes.

The disposal of these boxes happened very quickly and without much dialog. I spoke softly and tried not to make direct eye contact during the process in order to convey that I was a non-aggressive participant in the destruction of the corrugated family.

After it was over, The Audiophile said it was the right thing to do. He said it was time. He said the boxes would have wanted it that way. Then he went to The Listening Room, calmly shut the door, turned off the lights, and curled up on The Listening Sofa with several female artists who are well known for their sympathetic vocals and minimal distortion.​

Joe

Last edited:
Main system.

Dyn Active speakers - £2k
Velodyne sub - £1k
Benchmark dac/Pre - £1.5k
SBT / peanuts.

All worth sod-all second hand.

...but priceless to me.

I have wasted far more on depreciating expensIve cars, boats, wives etc. Than I ever blew on hi fi, tech etc.

advertisement

Back