advertisement

Cricket - The Ashes 2019

Smith though. I've not seen batting that carefree since Gower maybe? I know the pitch is slow, and I'd love to see him face an angry Anderson on a damp day at Lords, but BLIMEY.
We'll not chase down that score...we wouldn't manage that in a full on 1 day with the batters to do it, so it's play to draw and pray for rain. Shame since till about lunchtime yesterday it was a great contest.

I'd like to see Roy come out and bash a 60 ball ton. I can't stand watching him try to bat sensibly, he so nearly edged that last ball yesterday for example. It's like asking Moeen to cover for Anderson...

Not much movement in the pitch and it's slowed to all stop IMO, so it'll be aiming for the footholes and spin all day. Either way, let's look forward to Lords! :)

The weather looks set fair so my estimate is approximately half as many runs and approximately twice as many wickets.

:)

I think we should see some proper batting and hanging on. The pitch isn't a minefield and both teams selected to only have one spinner. Long way to go, already lost Burns. But surely some of the top order can remember how to bat in tests? Would be a good time for Bairstow Junior to grind himself into form by leaving almost everything.

30 minutes gone, which is about 1/12 of the way there!

I shall now defer, in all matters cricket related, to Mr Marchbanks.

I shall leave the senate and retire to my estates to write my memoirs.

I think they're mentally weak in these situations. They always seem to go down very timidly, as if trying to play like a Boycott or a Tavare is suddenly going to work for them.

"Moeen - A match saving century, and the highest unbroken eighth wicket partnership in England since 1937. What did you have for breakfast today?" (I may have dreamt that last bit)

It is interesting that shortly after we said we're worrying about the batting, and have a surfeit of bowlers, we now have Anderson, Wood, Rashid and Archer all injured. And we are still worrying about the batting!

Still, roll on St Johns Wood.

I think England actually benefitted from one uncorrected umpire error.

Were not all the others overturned on review?

6 wickets for Lyon as predicted , unfortunately not a great performance . Anderson is looking like he could miss the whole series and others injured so not looking promising at all

Roy needs to listen the Thorpe, and phase his innings. If he doesn’t, he’s done at test level.

Burns has potential. Should be given more time.

Root remains at three.

Denly is on borrowed time. Lovely player but need improved defences.

Stokes should bat in front of Buttler. Better technique defensively.

Buttler will be given the series.

Bairstow - either sorts himself or falls into same category as Roy. Foakes a better test keeper batsman temperament- wise.

Moeen. I love Moeen on form, but he’s lost his confidence. Leach in.

Woakes. Good player. He stays.

Broad. In form and very experienced. He stays.

Anderson is injured, so until he’s played a full four day game he’s out. This should have happened anyway to prove his match fitness.

Archer in.

NB not sure how you can leave Tom Curran out, especially for Leeds.

Good pick for the side above, unfortunately unless Smith and Lyons get injured England will have to face more for what they just received.

I'm not sure all the hand wringing is necessary. It was a heavy defeat in the end, but all the Poms had to do was roll those two tailenders on day one and it would be a very different mood.

I agree with the team above.

Aus have a few questions to ask of their top order, too.

advertisement

Back