advertisement

Cricket - The Ashes 2019

he took the heat for a several players. as captain, it was easiest for him to take it, along the the other two, rather than all of them go down*

*All imo

But that's worse really - you have to stand for what is right. I really don't think that Smith should have been alowed to play again...

The report into investigation carried out by Cricket Australia was bit short on detail which has in turn invited further questions. I think Steve Smith was weak into agreeing to Warner's sand paper suggestion and as captain it was his duty to stamp on the idea but as Geoff Lemon's book points out he was just the kid who wanted to play cricket and please everyone. A kind of accidental captain who's pushed into the position following the 2015 cull of senior players. I think he took the rap for others over the affair.

But that's worse really - you have to stand for what is right. I really don't think that Smith should have been alowed to play again...

Fair enough. I just don’t think that it warranted any more than they got.

It was stupid and, given the Aus stance on all things ‘moral’ asking for the outrage, but a lifelong ban? Meh.

There’s obviously a portion of eng cricket fans that hate all things Aussie and see it as the perfect opportunity to stick the knife in, but I get the impression the blow up in aus was worse for them.

Well I've enjoyed the series and 2 all seemed a fair result. I cannot agree with an earlier post about 3-1 in Australia's favour, if Smith had not played England would have won. The only negative was the umpiring, some really bizarre decisions.

Take Stokes out and it would be a different result, too. That never works.

I agree about 2-2 with Aus retaining being a fair result. If eng were retaining the Aussies would feel hard done by though.

Two very average batting lineups. As poor as I can remember for Aus.

Take Stokes out and it would be a different result, too. That never works.

I agree about 2-2 with Aus retaining being a fair result. If eng were retaining the Aussies would feel hard done by though.

Two very average batting lineups. As poor as I can remember for Aus.
If you took out Broad, Pattinson, Archer etc. Smith probably the single biggest factor but maybe another batter would have stepped up? All hypothetical

Wonder how the attack would look 2 yrs down the line - Archer, Wood, Woakes, Curran, Leach? Cant see Broad taking wickets in Australia (even Anderson struggled). Batting has been looking more settled than Australia's but when the games resume in Aus, it would be a bit different - Warner will come out swinging.

Amazing performance by Stevo for Kent yesterday: not much chance with Stokes and Curran already in place, though.:)

advertisement

Back