advertisement

Cricket 2023

Well the argument that we benefit from extra runs is looking shaky although he has the potential for a big score, but we are shipping wickets and runs behind the stumps for sure.
He’s certainly a much better keeper than he’s shown in this series. When on form he’s a game changer with the bat.

He’s certainly a much better keeper than he’s shown in this series. When on form he’s a game changer with the bat.

JB's never been more than an adequate keeper at Test level imo. A decent punt for a ODI, an unnecessary gamble at Ashes Test level.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...onny-bairstow-is-stronger-than-ever-svn858dgs

The reader’s poll is interesting.

53036930699_902b8d0109_w.jpg

For me, Bairstow deserves a place in the team as a batsman on merit alone. Take the gloves off him, give them to our best wicketkeeper and watch them both fly. That could be all the changes we need to take the last tests and record an historic Ashes victory. Tongue over Anderson for me but I am sure they will plump for the old timer. From memory, Old Trafford doesn’t spin these days but the Oval does so there could be a case for not playing Moeen at OT and then bring him back for the decider.

For me, Bairstow deserves a place in the team as a batsman on merit alone. Take the gloves off him, give them to our best wicketkeeper and watch them both fly. That could be all the changes we need to take the last tests and record an historic Ashes victory. Tongue over Anderson for me but I am sure they will plump for the old timer. From memory, Old Trafford doesn’t spin these days but the Oval does so there could be a case for not playing Moeen at OT and then bring him back for the decider.
What about Woakes & Wood? Which batsman do you drop? I can’t see them bringing Foakes in. Can only pick 11 & Stokes not bowling makes it difficult to bring in Foakes.

No Spinner for me at Old Trafford. Or put it this way, Root can bowl as necessary.

Crawley, Duckett, Bairstow (yes concentrate on the day job lad), Root, Brook, Stokes, Foakes, Woakes, Wood (if fit), Broad, Anderson.

That 7% is lousy-unfair. He scored 78 in the first inngs of the test.

Even with him dropping a few, I'm still 50-50 on him or Foakes, due to his potential to hit best part of a ton, under pressure (& far more exciting too- the archetypal bazballer along with Stokes). I just think he looked spent in that 2nd inngs with the bat. Hence Foakes just pips it. But only as a replacement: I'd have JB back for the 5th, if that is, we're level @ 2-2.

Which we will be.

What about Woakes & Wood? Which batsman do you drop? I can’t see them bringing Foakes in. Can only pick 11 & Stokes not bowling makes it difficult to bring in Foakes.

As I suggested no need for Moeen at OT so Bairstow at 3. He is often at his best when he has a point to prove. Foakes, Woakes, Wood, Broad, Toungue at 7 to 11.

He can't be any worse than the other number 3s tried out recently. If he is that out of form he shouldn't be in the team at all.

Bit surprised by this (from the BBC):

Men's Ashes Test venues 2027
  • Lord's (London)
  • The Oval (London)
  • Trent Bridge (Nottingham)
  • The Ageas Bowl (Southampton)
  • Edgbaston (Birmingham)
Seems a long way off, especially as we don’t even buy the big toothpaste anymore, but I suppose I shall have to start attending Edgbaston again over the next few years in order to qualify for an Ashes ticket.

advertisement

Back