advertisement

Cricket 2023

The only way I can see it happening is if they bring in Foakes and bump Bairstow up to the currently empty #3 spot with a "free-ing up Jonny to concentrate on his batting" type argument.

Otherwise, I assume only serious batting option is Dan Lawrence? Or maybe Alex Lees and move one of Crawley or Duckett down to #3.

Although I have no idea what is happening in the current country championship and assume the options are the current names or one of the tried before and didn't quite make it names like Lees and Selby.

I fear the Australians know how to get JB out where ever he bats in the order, Duckett needs to learn from today too, his appeal/review looked pointless

I'd certainly bring Foakes back but in truth there's several higher up in the order who haven't delivered so far. I appreciate that Australia are very good indeed but some of the shots played by England batsmen at certain times have either been poor judgement or perhaps just nerves - you can leave the bouncers from time to time? Would love to see someone build an innings and then open up but that doesn't seem to be in our DNA anymore? As for new additions, are Sibley and Burns not on selectors radar anymore?
Neither Burns or Sibley are good enough. I think the openers have done Ok.

We made heavy work of it after a good start. Seeing Root and then Stokes getting strangled down the leg side and yet Woakes continuing to do the same boils my piss almost as much as Bairstow proving in three successive tests that he is not an international standard wicket keeper.

Of course but he could have been out three or four times to tickles or gloves down the leg side when the ball is outside the line of the body and they are out of control.
Plus the couple of wide ones he wafted at outside off stump. Thought he was just as streaky as the rest of them...as a bowler he has more leeway.
In fact "Fortunate again" said precisely this moment in the highlights.
Brooks "Wow. Extravagant.
Swing and a miss"
A vital innings but as mentioned above he alternates between sensible shots and heart-stoppingingly bad attempts at pulls and air shots.
Etc, etc

Plus the couple of wide ones he wafted at outside off stump. Thought he was just as streaky as the rest of them...as a bowler he has more leeway.
In fact "Fortunate again" said precisely this moment in the highlights.
Brooks "Wow. Extravagant.
Swing and a miss"
A vital innings but as mentioned above he alternates between sensible shots and heart-stoppingingly bad attempts at pulls and air shots.
Etc, etc
Brook is an incredible talent, any team would love such a young player in their side.

It was a pressure situation against a great side. You cannot expect perfection.

Brook is an incredible talent, any team would love such a young player in their side.

It was a pressure situation against a great side. You cannot expect perfection.
I don't.
I think he could improve easily by sensible restraint with shot selection.
I suspect the current regime may not be the best arena for that to happen.

I don't.
I think he could improve easily by sensible restraint with shot selection.
I suspect the current regime may not be the best arena for that to happen.
He’s the fastest player in history to 1000 runs, he wasn’t even getting picked under previous regime. He’s a very special talent who will probably continue to flourish under the current supportive set up. I’d rather he was playing a little down the order though.

Duckett proved at Lords in two test he is a good player.
Crawley is liked by the current setup.
Pope is out, and the 3 spot is not a given,
Root is undroppable,
Brooks is undroppable - look at his test average, and he came good today.
Stokes is undroppable,
Bairstow needs to score some runs, and stop sulking. He also needs to find some acceptable glove work,
Moeen will play at Old Trafford,
Woakes will play at Old Trafford,
Wood will play at old Trafford, if fit.
Broad will play at Old Trafford.
Anderson will play at Old Trafford, in place of the injured Robinson.

Just my predictions. I’m not sure they will fetch Foakes in at this late stage, but do think that unless JB improves drastically, Foakes will be back in for the winter test series.

The unpredictable is what they will do re the 3 spot. I’d move Root up, and tell him it’s just for the next two tests.

He’s the fastest player in history to 1000 runs, he wasn’t even getting picked under previous regime. He’s a very special talent who will probably continue to flourish under the current supportive set up. I’d rather he was playing a little down the order though.
Not questioning the supportive set up but rather the seeming acceptance that it's OK to swing at everything. Fine if you're a Stokes (though not always) but in encouraging freedom and batting in his own image might not work for all of them...though obviously it did today.

Just my predictions. I’m not sure they will fetch Foakes in at this late stage, but do think that unless JB improves drastically, Foakes will be back in for the winter test series.

The unpredictable is what they will do re the 3 spot. I’d move Root up, and tell him it’s just for the next two tests.

advertisement

Back