advertisement

Cricket 2023

What a welcome relief to see England had won when I checked my phone earlier as after seeing that Bairstow was out I thought that would be that... maybe this Bazball thing has some merit after all :D Anyway well done England and now let's win the next two.

Not questioning the supportive set up but rather the seeming acceptance that it's OK to swing at everything. Fine if you're a Stokes (though not always) but in encouraging freedom and batting in his own image might not work for all of them...though obviously it did today.
That is your interpretation of it but I’m not sure it’s a fair portrayal. The idea is to not be afraid of failing; I think that is admirable.

We tend to get fixated on our own problems but Oz have some too, such as: Broad over Warner, no Lyon/unproven replacement, Borland looking pedestrian.

At least we have won a test ,the talent is there but all the players need to be consistant .
Not a good idea to move Root to 3 as this has proved to be a disaster in the past and he is not at his best at the moment , it used to need hours to play to get his wicket with a minimum score or 50

We tend to get fixated on our own problems but Oz have some too, such as: Broad over Warner, no Lyon/unproven replacement, Borland looking pedestrian.

Absolutely right. Their game has been sound though, nowhere near as many errors. Meanwhile their batsmen making significant scores capitalised on being missed early on. Had England fielded as well as Australia, or Australia as badly as England we would be looking at a very different scenario. England need to tighten up, man for man they are competitive.

Root should stay 4
Brook seems better at 5. He can be so destructive let him bat where he wants.
I'd give Moeen another go at 3.

Root's a big boy enough by now to lump it & go 3 imo- he's had enough tons & time at the crease to know all he needs about the new ball. By far the most experienced, by a margin the best. You just put this batsman no.3. Simple as.

Foakes comes in for JB, Anderson for Robinson obviously. Moeen 6, Foakes 7. That's a decent lower order, on paper..

And just play 30% less bazball, instead of the 20% less we saw at Headingley. Martin Lewis pretty sensibly said on TMS he "wanted 10% less". As usual he's to be listened to & spot-on the right track, but too conservative.

And just pray for more luck with the weather, & no ramp shots 1st ball please.. & we can win both tests.

I think Root would have batted 3 this time around if he was going to be persuaded. Looking around the counties the runs are being scored further down the order too.

Tuffers came out with a very perceptive angle on the match, on TMS on Saturday. He suddenly said..

"I'd think octopuses would make good scorers.. coloured pen in each tentacle etc".

Capt

Creepy, Duckett, Root, Brook, Moeen, Stokes & Foakes & Woakes, Broad, Wood, Anderson.. for me.

Just putting Stokes down a peg as likely 1/2 crocked, & cos then we have the 3 in a row 'funny'.

Ideally I'd have Tongue in for Anderson, due to his pace. But they can't cos it's JA at oldT or there'd be a scally riot.

advertisement

Back