advertisement

Cricket 2023

Broad has been such a great player especially in the Ashes. I think Anderson will call it a day also. He’s not bowled badly but just hasn’t had the impact I expected.
He said that he had no intention to retire but that was before Broady dropped the bombshell.

So much for being circumspect in the third innings, England were brave and deserved their score albeit we were fortunate again to have the best of the batting conditions. We should win today weather permitting.

If the Aussies want to bowl poorly against our lower order batsmen, that's up to them. Our bowling was very poor, making their batsmen look better than they are.
I don’t think you are being fair. Many lower order batsmen are pretty capable, Australia actors some proper runs with some aggressive shots. Bowlers are often tiring & lower order batters can do so with freedom.

This is nothing new, sometimes you have to just accept when the opposition has a good spell. As Mike Tyson famously said, “everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth”. Very easy to pick holes from the armchair.

@Woodface The bowling was poor, far far too many short pitched deliveries. Keeping the ball on line, it is then only a matter of time before an lbw or bowled, even against top order batsmen. Since it is fresh in my mind, look again at the wickets of Crawley, Duckett and Brook. Bowlers may be tiring, that is no excuse for the poor length deliveries that were bowled. Woakes (he is well suited to English conditions) has taken most of his wickets keeping the ball up and getting it to swing, so why is he bowling short?
Changing the subject, the first three deliveries Anderson received from Starc were short pitched and at the body, not the first time in this series, why aren't the umpires stopping this?

@Woodface The bowling was poor, far far too many short pitched deliveries. Keeping the ball on line, it is then only a matter of time before an lbw or bowled, even against top order batsmen. Since it is fresh in my mind, look again at the wickets of Crawley, Duckett and Brook. Bowlers may be tiring, that is no excuse for the poor length deliveries that were bowled. Woakes (he is well suited to English conditions) has taken most of his wickets keeping the ball up and getting it to swing, so why is he bowling short?
Changing the subject, the first three deliveries Anderson received from Starc were short pitched and at the body, not the first time in this series, why aren't the umpires stopping this?
We’ll have to agree to differ, I think the Oz lower order batted very well, they actually went with far more intent that the sleepy upper order.

I think the umpires haven’t been great in this game.

@dan m I have to admit the rules change, but umpires can use their own initiative. I have seen in this series an English bowler given the 'one' sign, meaning that is his one bouncer per over. It was always a 'no go' to later order batsmen, seems of late they just don't care nowadays, but again the umpire can intervene if you read here at 41.7:- Unfair play Law | MCC (lords.org)

@Salamander Thanks. I think the ‘taking into consideration the skill of the striker’ bit is key. Just read this:
https://www.thecricketer.com/Topics/news/mcc_opt_against_banning_bouncers.html
He also encouraged umpires to consider the skill of the batter on strike, particularly in the lower order, and to remove repeat offenders from the attack, continuing: "Given that the Laws allow for umpires to intervene should they believe that there is a safety consideration with the batter on strike, we encourage them to use their discretion and ensure that any risk of injury is minimised.“

Excuse my ignorance, but what are the rules for this?

Morning everyone super day in store..

I believe it's one over the shoulder per over Dan. Higher still & above head is (meant to be) a wide.
So you can pepper into the ribs for eg as many as you want (but exhausts tired bowlers of course).

I think that was one of the best day's batting I've ever seen by england, despite the dip at the end. Barely any daftness & 5/over, & some fine innings. Bowling was tired though. We just cannot do the same today, it's still a good batting track.

advertisement

Back