advertisement

Covid 19 - Tally

Felt a little crappy this morning. Went out and got myself a COVID test. Results in 3-7 days.

Feel fine now.

Hope your test comes back negative, and also hope your partner’s quarantine goes quickly.

Caring for an 87-year can be very challenging. Hopefully she is in good health and spirits, and the two weeks go by quickly.

My test was negative. Then I read that if you get tested 'too early,' false negatives are likely. So out of an abundance of paranoia I got a second test. It was negative too.

How it all worked out, to this point. My partner never showed symptoms, quarantine over. One of her sisters died, as I mentioned before. Another, who had tested positive, was hospitalized but should go home Fri. Was on 100% oxygen for a while but never on a vent. We'll have test results on her son, who lives with her, tomorrow, but he has been two weeks asymptomatic.

5+ months and I still have lingering symptoms. My lungs are my biggest concern right now.

I got on my bike as soon as I could to try and build my strength again. At first I could only ride at about jogging speed or I'd get all dizzy. I slowly built it up, and a few weeks ago I finally felt strong enough to tackle some hills.

One I started climbing, lots of stuff started coming out of my lungs. Not quite phlegm, more of a liquid that just came up ut of my lungs and went down into my stomach.

The next day I felt great - very strong and fit. I powered straight up slopes that normally caused me to change down a gear or two.

A day or two more and I didn't feel well. My lungs felt sore - kind of like I was getting an infection. It didn't get worse, but I returned to the level I was at before the hill climbs.

The liquid continues to come from my lungs , especially after exercise. If I get tests done here it'll cost me $5,000+ so I'll wait until I get back to New Zealand.

Felt a little crappy this morning. Went out and got myself a COVID test. Results in 3-7 days.

Feel fine now.

Sore throat and fatigue yesterday and today. Daughter's birthday party today and taking her to college tomorrow. What to do ? I headed to the local urgent care which advertises a 15 minute rapid test - apparently accurate if you are symptomatic - but they are booked solid days out mostly with asymptomatic people willing to fork over $160 to get the clear so they can visit gran, go to a wedding etc (not realizing the test doesn't work on asymptomatic people). (I live in a very affluent area so $160 to attend a party is nothing to many folk around here).

https://www.wcvb.com/article/5-inve...-of-rapid-antigen-tests-for-covid-19/33538332

Call around, and everywhere else is offering the standard test with results in 10-14 days. 10-14 days - what is the F*$#%ing point? US healthcare is so screwed. I'll wear my mask, stay away from the party and if I'm feeling worse tomorrow we'll call the college and postpone her move in.

It's unlikely I have COVID - I work from home and I'm very careful to social distance, avoid crowded places, only shop for food, but it sure would be nice to know for sure at the moment.

5+ months and I still have lingering symptoms. My lungs are my biggest concern right now.

I got on my bike as soon as I could to try and build my strength again. At first I could only ride at about jogging speed or I'd get all dizzy. I slowly built it up, and a few weeks ago I finally felt strong enough to tackle some hills.

One I started climbing, lots of stuff started coming out of my lungs. Not quite phlegm, more of a liquid that just came up ut of my lungs and went down into my stomach.

The next day I felt great - very strong and fit. I powered straight up slopes that normally caused me to change down a gear or two.

A day or two more and I didn't feel well. My lungs felt sore - kind of like I was getting an infection. It didn't get worse, but I returned to the level I was at before the hill climbs.

The liquid continues to come from my lungs , especially after exercise. If I get tests done here it'll cost me $5,000+ so I'll wait until I get back to New Zealand.
5 months for me too - some good days then back to bed, zero progress. UK has set up “respiratory pathways” in some hospitals and I’m on one of these, currently undergoing tests. Good to get confirmation of some stuff but nothing’s happening at a very urgent pace so you might be as well to wait, depending on when you’re getting back.

NHS has a website, yourcovidrecovery, which is quite helpful.

Any other “long haulers”? How is @Heckyman? He and I had similar symptoms around the same time.

No - the PCR test is accurate in asymptomatic people, but the turnaround time for the PCR test is over 10 days now in the US because the system is overwhelmed. The rapid test takes 15 minutes, but is only accurate if the person is symptomatic.

The problem is that the PCR test is useless due to the slow turnaround, and there is insufficient capacity of rapid test because people are using them to get an "all clear" to go on vacation, or visit relatives.

I had a PCR test at a private clinic last week, organised by the client, to allow me to attend site for a days work.

Looking online the clinic charges £250 a test with results next day. From what I could tell they were booked solid.

Yes, I've read about that test too (though I didn't realise accuracy was so much less). At that price it can just become routine before you leave the house which would be amazing.

The other thing that struck me about the PCR test is that the swab needs to get to your tonsils (gag!) and right to the back of your nose. I'd imagine it's very hard to self administer.

5 months for me too - some good days then back to bed, zero progress. UK has set up “respiratory pathways” in some hospitals and I’m on one of these, currently undergoing tests. Good to get confirmation of some stuff but nothing’s happening at a very urgent pace so you might be as well to wait, depending on when you’re getting back.

NHS has a website, yourcovidrecovery, which is quite helpful.

Any other “long haulers”? How is @Heckyman? He and I had similar symptoms around the same time.

I don't think there's much, if any support here in the US. I also have constant fatigue, poor memory, poor concentration and poor cognitive ability. I've had a dodgy stomach since April, but that's been improving slowly . It's been pretty frustrating and scary at times.

The amount of exercise I'm doing would normally have me bouncing off the walls with energy, but I'm exhausted by 5pm.

My employer has been very good and I'm very lucky in that respect, but I don't want to risk spending winter here, as everyone's starting to act like there's nothing going on.

I don't think there's much, if any support here in the US. I also have constant fatigue, poor memory, poor concentration and poor cognitive ability. I've had a dodgy stomach since April, but that's been improving slowly . It's been pretty frustrating and scary at times.

The amount of exercise I'm doing would normally have me bouncing off the walls with energy, but I'm exhausted by 5pm.

My employer has been very good and I'm very lucky in that respect, but I don't want to risk spending winter here, as everyone's starting to act like there's nothing going on.
Snap. Sorry to hear it though. I'll keep you posted if I learn anything through my own treatment. Most interesting advice I've had so far is that the breathing difficulties might be triggering (or at least exacerbating) some of the other symptoms, so it's worth trying to break the cycle. There are some exercises on that yourcovidrecovery site I linked to.

Fine, thanks! No long term symptoms here. I didn't rush back into physical activity for the first couple of months as I was concerned about a repeat of the difficulty-breathing episode, whatever the cause of that may have been.

These days I'm getting back to my prior physical fitness level. As regards the mental side, I've been playing chess daily since April...

Fine, thanks! No long term symptoms here. I didn't rush back into physical activity for the first couple of months as I was concerned about a repeat of the difficulty-breathing episode, whatever the cause of that may have been.

These days I'm getting back to my prior physical fitness level. As regards the mental side, I've been playing chess daily since April...
Good to hear!

Time for an update.

#1 son’s friend had C19, a 36 yr old, very fit man. Hit him harder than he expected, although he has recovered.
We were all a bit surprised as he is the fittest person we know. (black belt and boxer etc.)

My daughter who is working on a very busy high dependency unit (one down from Intensive Care) says that the workload is heavy and sadly the death rate is high. Unusually high.
Daughter is a brand new Staff Nurse and it sounds like she is in the thick of it. We did acknowledge with each other that the Winter season (in terms of patients with respiratory issues) has hardly started.
Daughter is due to get her first dose of vaccine next week, she is being tested for C19 every week.

@Big Tabs best of luck to your daughter. That doesn't sound much fun at all.

A member my family works in an NHS clinic where all the staff have been issued 30 min rapid covid tests and asked to test every three days. A number of his colleagues have announced that they're not going to bother because it's not mandatory. Mind boggling really.

best of luck to your daughter. That doesn't sound much fun at all.

Thank you. You are right, it doesn’t sound fun. Being a new Nurse, daughter is really enjoying it.

We did have a chat about ‘burnout’ - and how it is easy to see what kind of working environment can grind staff, however conscious they are of the pressure. Facing death every day takes it toll.

advertisement

Back