advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meanwhile Reckitt Benckiser have seen their share price double on the London Markets in just 8 hours of trading, whilst supplies of their best known products, Benylin and Lemsip, have been rapidly disappearing from supermarket shelves nationwide.

If the authorities genuinely want to stop it all travel to and from any region with a case of it needs to cease immediately. Harsh, but imagine the benefits to the planet too.... that said the planet would benefit from a lot less people so maybe we should just let it do its thing.

Stopping travel after a virus is confirmed is shutting the stable door after the horse bolted.

A futile waste of time.

How can the virus be stopped? Some estimates indicate that 100,000 may be already infected in China so it is only a matter of time before it arrives here. I had an anti-flu jab a few months ago and wondered if that approach could work with the new virus? We can't cure it, but could the spread be stopped by some kind of ant-viral jab for the most vulnerable like the one for flu? Anyone more clued up about this stuff?

For what it's worth.. and It's not worth much due to lack of info...

I calculated the mortality at a little under 3%, based on 50+ reported deaths and around 2000 confirmed cases. This would put it at about 3 times the deaths from 'seasonal' Flu. However.. it seems that the effects are variable so that it may be that many cases are going unreported. It also seems, as mentioned above, that this one 'gets' older people, especially those with immune deficiency or chronic respiratory problems.

At this time of year, I do my best to avoid crowded public transport.. which isn't too difficult as I'm retired. I also become paranoid about putting my hands anywhere near my mouth, nose or eyes, unless they've been recently washed.... this to avoid transfer from door handles..rails on buses etc.. I also get my Flu jab every year.

Interesting point I read about the Flu Jab.. It won't stop you getting Coronavirus. but at least you won't be clogging up Hospitals with the symptoms of a largely preventable disease.

there is a lot of research out there that claims the flu jab offers little or no protection to old fogies like yourself.

How can the virus be stopped? Some estimates indicate that 100,000 may be already infected in China so it is only a matter of time before it arrives here. I had an anti-flu jab a few months ago and wondered if that approach could work with the new virus? We can't cure it, but could the spread be stopped by some kind of ant-viral jab for the most vulnerable like the one for flu? Anyone more clued up about this stuff?

A drug company executive was quoted over the weekend saying they hoped to have a vaccination ready by the end of the YEAR.

Stopping travel after a virus is confirmed is shutting the stable door after the horse bolted.

A futile waste of time.

that depends on whether it was a single horse or a herd. Yes the virus still gets out, but you would prevent further potential for spreading.........

A futile waste of time.
As with all these things it’s multi faceted. Restricting travel won’t stop every case, but would you rather there be one infective person walking around London or 1000? Infection rates are not 100% after all. Not everyone gets the flu every year, remember. The same goes for wearing masks. Is it 100% protection? No. Will it help? Probably. See also people restricting the time they spend out in contact with others, hand wash hygiene, and so on.

In this it’s like avoiding injury in a motor accident. Speed isn’t the full story, nor is driving a Volvo , nor is avoiding accident black spots, nor is avoiding adverse road conditions, nor is restricting young people’s driving after 10pm. However we all know they help reduce the overall risk. Whether these restrictions are reasonable is a matter of sensible risk assessment. At what point do you close schools? There’s no right answer, but in any epidemic there would be a point at which you would do so.

Just had my company put a travel ban in place for China. I was due to visit in April which may not be impacted but we shall see.

My daughter has made several work trips to HK, with excursions to industrial cities in mainland China. I doubt she'll be going again any time soon.

Meanwhile Reckitt Benckiser have seen their share price double on the London Markets in just 8 hours of trading, whilst supplies of their best known products, Benylin and Lemsip, have been rapidly disappearing from supermarket shelves nationwide.

Not sure what good peeps think those meds will be against real Flu... much less coronavirus. Paracetamol to reduce pain and fever is about it I think. and if you are sick enough, presumably respiratory support in hospital, and antibiotics for any secondary infection.

I really don't know of any OTC medication which is effective against cough, unless you can score some Co Codamol.. because Codeine, like all opiates, actually does suppress cough.... and respiration full stop... so whether thats necessarily a good thing is another issue.

My pharmacist wouldn't sell me Lem Sip type things because she knows the other meds I'm on for my ticker and says it's not a good mix.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back