advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain

Status
Not open for further replies.
The risk would appear to be low according to health professionals. On the upside If it isn’t, the elderly and infirm are likely to peg it which reduces the drain on the NHS and provides funeral cost bunce and probate instructions for lawyers.

Not to mention skip fulls of cheap hifi.

The risk would appear to be low according to health professionals. On the upside If it isn’t, the elderly and infirm are likely to peg it which reduces the drain on the NHS and provides funeral cost bunce and probate instructions for lawyers.

The 1918 pandemic was so bad because it didn’t target the elderly or infirm. It targeted the young, strong adults with healthy immune systems that overwhelmed them in its response to the virus.

With Asia exporting so much to the US these days, is it asking too much as Donald cynically attends a "Pro Life" rally?

3AbPRtF.jpg

This one does seem to be more of a risk to those with low immune systems and existing chronic conditions.

The 1918 pandemic was so bad because it didn’t target the elderly or infirm. It targeted the young, strong adults with healthy immune systems that overwhelmed them in its response to the virus.

Most of the deaths so far have been in the elderly or those with chronic lung disease.

Czf2H-OW8AA2EVs.jpg

READ THE WARNING ON THE LABEL FOR CHRIST'S SAKE!

Ohhh - Cream Soda - what muck that was! We had a „free“ supply for a while - we had competitions to see who could down a whole bottle in one go without the fizzy gas exploding and participant becoming a sticky sweet mess.

Chinese health officials are now saying that people can spread the virus before they have visible symptoms.

For what it's worth.. and It's not worth much due to lack of info...

I calculated the mortality at a little under 3%, based on 50+ reported deaths and around 2000 confirmed cases. This would put it at about 3 times the deaths from 'seasonal' Flu. However.. it seems that the effects are variable so that it may be that many cases are going unreported. It also seems, as mentioned above, that this one 'gets' older people, especially those with immune deficiency or chronic respiratory problems.

At this time of year, I do my best to avoid crowded public transport.. which isn't too difficult as I'm retired. I also become paranoid about putting my hands anywhere near my mouth, nose or eyes, unless they've been recently washed.... this to avoid transfer from door handles..rails on buses etc.. I also get my Flu jab every year.

Interesting point I read about the Flu Jab.. It won't stop you getting Coronavirus. but at least you won't be clogging up Hospitals with the symptoms of a largely preventable disease.

The bit that concerns me was on the BBC news - the virus is infectious before the carrier shows any symptoms and the incubation time before you get any symptoms is up to 2 weeks. That means that there could be a lot of people walking around spreading it who don't know that they've got it. It also means that checking someone's temperature is only partially effective, that won't pick up on people who are asymptomatic.

I don't think anyone's mentioned yet how it is spread from person to person. If it's airborne then we might be eating our words, we could really be in deep shit. If it's by contact then all you have to do is religiously wash your hands thoroughly before handling anything that's going in your mouth.

The key information is how infectious people are during the incubation period. That isn't known yet.

On the other hand, the elderly and infirm die from flu every year. I had a really nasty flu last year that I can well imagine finishing someone off who has respiratory problems or is frail. What makes this one so different?

BBC reporting 18 dead from "more than 500 confirmed cases" - is 3.6% fatalities, but who knows where this is going...
The press are loving it.

Dammit, I'm due to go to China in a couple of weeks...might hold off booking just now.
And buy some masks.

Or take some with you.

Kerr ching.:)

As the number of victims is growing rapidly, it will take a while for the number of fatalities to catch up, the mortality rate seems closer to 10% among those detected with it. In Malaysia we have several cases only detected by lab analysis, no symptoms at all (relatives of known cases), which means the actual number infected is much higher.
This virus is likely to hit both the PFM demographic and the aged music stars we love

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back