advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XXIV

Here's an excellent piece on chronic fatigue syndrome relevent re long covid and other post viral conditions that receive little funding and attention.

‘You don’t want to get better’: the outdated treatment of ME/CFS patients is a national scandal

George Monbiot

From harmful ‘therapies’ to social services referrals, the notion that this illness is psychosomatic is having devastating effects

Well, this article is timely, gav. I'm not aware of having had covid, but most certainly exhibit symptoms typical of CFS (since 2018), despite no official diagnosis from the surgery. I can say for sure that advice to 'do a bit more exercise everyday to build up your strength' is not just a presumptive crock of shit, but has deleterious effects, at least for me. What's clear from Monbiots article, and some others he's linked to, is that no one yet knows what causes the condition or how to treat it.

Last time I spoke to a GP about the matter he was patronising and ignorant, dismissing my concerns, repeatedly inserting the same disconcerting question, 'Well, what do you want me to do about it?' He finished by instructing me to 'go read a book'.

This is the type of attitude and response that sufferers are up against, and I'm aware others have had it far worse than I. I'm actually on the receiving end of similar dismissive attitudes regarding a heart related issue. Many of those with covid as well must be going through some kind of hell, especially in the face of prevailing attitudes and incoherant policies, and have my sympathies.

John

Last edited:
Through Respiratory DataMart, SARS-CoV-2 positivity remained stable at 3.8% compared with
3.6% in the previous week.
COVID-19 case rates and positivity in Pillar 1 has decreased overall and within most age and
ethnic groups, and some regions in week 10.
Overall, COVID-19 hospitalisations increased slightly to 1.75 per 100,000 compared with 1.60
per 100,000 in the previous week. Hospitalisations were highest in the aged 85 years and over
age group. COVID-19 ICU admissions remained low and stable at 0.06 per 100,000 in week 10.

NHS hospitals have been hit by a UK-wide shortage of a life-saving drug used to keep alive patients who are at risk of dying because they cannot breathe without medical intervention.

and being reported in Australia

and reported in the US over the last 12 months......

Covid vaccines cut risk of virus-related heart failure and blood clots, study finds

Researchers say jabs substantially reduce for up to a year the chances of serious cardiovascular complications

That's something that was being hinted at fairly early on in the pandemic. Not really surpised it's now being confirmed.

From @plaguepoems on Mastodon

My aunt, the doctor,
told me a new joke.
She asked:

What do COVID
and a Boeing plane
have in common?

I said I did not know.
And so she answered:

They’re both examples
of airborne dangers.

And then neither one of us laughed.

National Influenza and COVID-19 Report: week 12 report (up to week 11 2024 data)

Through Respiratory DataMart, SARS-CoV-2 positivity remained stable at 3.7% compared with
3.7% in the previous week.

COVID-19 case rates and positivity in Pillar 1 decreased overall and within some age, ethnic
groups, and regions in week 11.
The overall number of reported SARS-CoV-2 confirmed ARI in week 11 decreased compared
with the previous week. There were 5 SARS-CoV-2 confirmed ARI reported in week 11 in
England.
Through SIREN healthcare cohort study, the SARS-CoV-2 positivity increased in week 11
compared with the previous week.
Overall, COVID-19 hospitalisations increased slightly to 1.85 per 100,000 compared with 1.76
per 100,000 in the previous week. Hospitalisations were highest in the 85 years and over age
group. COVID-19 ICU admissions remained low and stable at 0.06 per 100,000 in week 11

Boots selling Covid jabs at £98 a pop.
Now there’s a socially conscious measure to ensure continued widespread uptake 🙃

Is there a charge for seasonal flu shots? What about for say measles, tetanus, whooping cough?

I had my latest Covid-mitigating firmware upgrade the other day. It’s still free in AO/NZ, though I wonder for how much longer under the current coalition of Kerberos: there’s been a proposal to take away free flu shots for the vulnerable.

National Influenza and COVID-19 Report: week 13 report (up to week 12 2024 data)

Overall
In week 12, influenza activity decreased, and COVID-19 activity remained broadly stable.
Respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) activity fluctuated at low levels across most indicators.
Influenza

COVID-19
Through Respiratory DataMart, SARS-CoV-2 decreased slightly to 3.2% compared with 3.5% in
the previous week.
COVID-19 case rates and positivity in Pillar 1 decreased overall, within all age groups, and most
regions and ethnic groups in week 12.
National Influenza and COVID-19 Report: week 13 report (up to week 12 2024 data)

The overall number of reported SARS-CoV-2 confirmed ARI in week 12 increased compared
with the previous week. There were 11 SARS-CoV-2 confirmed ARI reported in week 12 in
England.
Through the SIREN healthcare cohort study, the SARS-CoV-2 positivity remained stable in
week 12 compared with the previous week.
Overall, COVID-19 hospitalisations decreased slightly to 1.66 per 100,000 compared with 1.84
per 100,000 in the previous week. Hospitalisations were highest in the aged 85 years and over
age group. COVID-19 ICU admissions remained low and stable at 0.04 per 100,000 in week 12.

Simple question which so far doesn't appear to have a simple answer.

Are there plans for a further Covid Booster programme for elderly and vulnerable groups? If so, who will administer it?
I had my last jab in Sept. 2023.

advertisement

Back