advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XXIV

Simple question which so far doesn't appear to have a simple answer.

Are there plans for a further Covid Booster programme for elderly and vulnerable groups? If so, who will administer it?
I had my last jab in Sept. 2023.

Advice on spring 2024 vaccination

In spring 2024, the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI) advises that a COVID-19 vaccine should be offered to:

• adults aged 75 years and over
  • residents in a care home for older adults
  • individuals aged 6 months and over who are immunosuppressed (as defined in tables 3 or 4 in the COVID-19 chapter of the Green Book)

This should be offered around 6 months after the last vaccine dose, although operational flexibility around the timing of the spring dose in relation to the last vaccine dose is considered appropriate (with a minimum interval of 3 months between doses).

Thanks Gav. Yes I read that, but there's no sign of movement from my GP as of yet.
I will ask them directly. They still seem to be pushing Flu jabs, but nothing on Coronavirus.

Thanks Gav. Yes I read that, but there's no sign of movement from my GP as of yet.
I will ask them directly. They still seem to be pushing Flu jabs, but nothing on Coronavirus.
It should be the GP unless you can just book online again but the GP should tell you either way. It's getting very difficult to get through to mine these days.

Covid boosters are a gamechanger – if they are free for everyone

Linda Geddes Science correspondent
Only private jabs are available to most, but annual shots would save the NHS nearly £4bn a year and prevent more than 5,000 deaths

COVID-19
Through Respiratory DataMart, SARS-CoV-2 increased slightly to 3.5% compared with 3.1% in
the previous week.

COVID-19 case rates and positivity in Pillar 1 decreased overall, within most ethnic groups, and
within some age groups and regions in week 13.
The overall number of reported SARS-CoV-2 confirmed ARI incidents in week 13 decreased
compared with the previous week. There were 8 SARS-CoV-2 confirmed ARI reported in week
13 in England.
Overall, COVID-19 hospitalisations decreased slightly to 1.65 per 100,000 compared with 1.75
per 100,000 in the previous week. Hospitalisations were highest in the aged 85 years and over
age group. COVID-19 ICU admissions remained low and fluctuated at low levels at 0.06 per
100,000 in week 13

Increases in cases are starting to be reported now - these data are a week old so time to take care again...

COVID-19
Through Respiratory DataMart, SARS-CoV-2 increased to 4.1% compared with 3.4% in the
previous week.
COVID-19 case rates and positivity in Pillar 1 slightly increased overall, within some age groups
and ethnic groups, and most regions in week 14.

The overall number of reported SARS-CoV-2 confirmed ARI in week 14 increased slightly
compared with the previous week. There were 11 SARS-CoV-2 confirmed ARI reported in week
14 in England.
Overall, COVID-19 hospitalisations increased slightly to 1.77 per 100,000 compared with 1.63
per 100,000 in the previous week. Hospitalisations were highest in those aged 85 years and
above. COVID-19 ICU admissions remained low and stable at 0.06 per 100,000 in week 14

I started volunteering at my local NHS hospital and was allocated to the hydration round in A&E - basically giving people cups of tea or coffee which they now need because waiting times are so long. Once cases of ‘PPE Required’ seemed to be increasing I asked to be transferred (I’m 70 with diabetes and asthma so I REALLY don’t want to put myself at risk) I’m now helping at reception for the Radiology ward - still very sick people but not contagious.

Incidentally I would wholeheartedly recommend volunteering - its extremely appreciated and very rewarding.

COVID-19
Through Respiratory DataMart, SARS-CoV-2 increased to 4.2% compared with 3.9% in the
previous week.
COVID-19 case rates decreased overall and positivity remained stable compared with the
previous week. Positivity decreased within some age groups, regions and most ethnic groups in
week 15.

The overall number of reported SARS-CoV-2 confirmed ARI in week 15 remained stable
compared with the previous week. There were 12 SARS-CoV-2 confirmed ARI reported in week
15 in England.
Overall, COVID-19 hospitalisations decreased slightly to 1.77 per 100,000 compared with 1.87
per 100,000 in the previous week. Hospitalisations were highest in those aged 85 years and
above. COVID-19 ICU admissions remained low and stable at 0.06 per 100,000 in week 15.

I've had an email to book before June 30. I was surprised as I'd not heard the word Covid for many months and thought the incidence, esp. as it's spring, was now very low indeed.

I’ve not had the call (age 67) but my wife (younger by a few years) has as she’s somewhat immunosuppressed, at least we presume that’s the reason.

it's over-75s plus... I think, Clive.
That makes sense….we get no explanation as to the reason my wife is on the list, even our GP isn’t sure. As I mentioned she’s somewhat immunosuppressed but not seriously, it’s probably due to a relatively minor thyroid condition…but she seems to be included automatically and the GP doesn’t fully understand why. She won’t get the jab this time as she had Covid a month ago so should be topped up.

Pupils in England ‘facing worst exam results in decades’ after Covid closures

GCSE results in key subjects to steadily worsen until 2030, predicts research that blames failure to tackle impact of schools lockdown

"Esme Lillywhite, a researcher at the University of Strathclyde, said: “Compared with most other nations, England’s pandemic response was heavily focused on academic catch-up [which didn't hsppen] with less emphasis on socio-emotional skills, extracurricular support, and wellbeing.

“Much more could be gained by closer international collaboration to learn what approaches have been promising elsewhere.”"

advertisement

Back