advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XXIV

According to data from the Office for National Statistics (ONS) and the UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA), an estimated 4.2%, or one in 24 people, in England and Scotland had Covid on 13 December compared with 1.8% – or one in 55 – on 29 November.

The figures come days after the World Health Organization (WHO) said a new subvariant of Omicron, labelled JN.1, had been classified as a “variant of interest” after spreading rapidly in the Americas, western Pacific and European regions. The sub-variant has already turned up in countries from the US to Singapore and the UK – where it accounted for 43% of sequenced cases as of 16 December.

NHS given warning about infection control as Covid cases rise

Exclusive: Royal College of Nursing asks why WHO guidance on masks and respirators has not been introduced across UK

The Royal College of Nursing has warned of an increase risk of Covid among hospital staff and patients due to the NHS’s failure to follow World Health Organization advice about infection control during a current spike in cases.

The letter, seen by the Guardian, points out that existing guidance in the national infection prevention and control manual (NIPCM) does not mandate hospital staff to use masks. It also leaves decisions about respirators to local risk assessors. The RCN says this guidance to UK hospitals is “inconsistent” with WHO advice.

Christmas at home with mild covid, but also good music, so I'm happy. Still plenty of elderly who haven't had it here yet, so giving the parents a bit of space. Everyone will get it sooner or later, but no-one wants to be the family spreader with the oldies.
It seems very prevalent in NZ and no doubt more so after the Christmas and New Years parties and concerts.

Christmas at home with mild covid, but also good music, so I'm happy. Still plenty of elderly who haven't had it here yet, so giving the parents a bit of space. Everyone will get it sooner or later, but no-one wants to be the family spreader with the oldies.
It seems very prevalent in NZ and no doubt more so after the Christmas and New Years parties and concerts.
Greetings from the south! Sorry to hear of your illness. Indeed, it’s all through the country. A friend in AK hasn’t long got over her third infection.

Holidays are rotten times to be sick. Hope you get well soon & that your parents stay safe. 🤞

My last booster was 18 months ago and nothing available here in KL. JN.1 has arrived and rampant. Most people get mild cases, but still getting deaths.

'Im indoors had mild sniffles this morning, and has tested positive, as have I.
I'm a bit concerned as we were out with the wider family yesterday, so have messaged them to let them know. I've just dropped a test kit round Mum's; and she's negative so far - *fingers crossed* it stays that way.
It's made me think that the mild sore throat I had a week or so back may have been the start of this bout.

It's made me think that the mild sore throat I had a week or so back may have been the start of this bout.

I think me 'n' Mrs Seeker had it and it manifested itself as a 'mild' head cold (lots of catarrh) but which persists for about two weeks or more.

Fingers crossed that's as bad as it gets for you and your nearest and dearest.

Seems to be quite prevalent again... I have it at the moment... caught it around 5th December when I stupidly took my partner to see Madonna for her Xmas present.... 3 days later I came down with the first symptoms and I'm still struggling now despite having a jab in early November. It's been far worse this time than the previous bout I had in Jan 22. On the mend now and testing negative but still feel well below par. Keeping myself to myself again and for the foreseeable future.

It wouldn't be so bad but Madonna was shit :D

Seems to be quite prevalent again... I have it at the moment... caught it around 5th December when I stupidly took my partner to see Madonna for her Xmas present.... 3 days later I came down with the first symptoms and I'm still struggling now despite having a jab in early November. It's been far worse this time than the previous bout I had in Jan 22. On the mend now and testing negative but still feel well below par. Keeping myself to myself again and for the foreseeable future.

It wouldn't be so bad but Madonna was shit :D
Al the best tigs!

A surge in the number of flu and Covid admissions to hospitals in England is adding to a “storm of pressure” facing the health service, NHS leaders have said.

Figures released on Friday showed that in Christmas week, there were on average 3,631 patients with Covid in hospital, up 57% from the same week in November.

Cases of norovirus were up 61% from the same period last year, while serious flu cases also continued to spiral, with an average of 942 patients with flu in hospital each day in the week to 24 December, including 48 in critical care.

The figure is almost six times higher than in November and double the total a fortnight ago , albeit below the numbers for the equivalent week in 2022 when the UK experienced the worst flu season for a decade.

Christmas was ruined for us by COVID. Alas my 85 year old father just tested positive this morning, having seemingly dodged it.

Long Covid causes changes in body that make exercise debilitating – study

Experts say severe muscle damage, mitochondrial problems and microclots may explain impact of working out

...the findings highlighted that people with long Covid should not undertake intense exercise.

“It damages your muscles, it worsens your metabolism, and it can explain why you feel muscle pain and fatigue up to weeks after the exercise,” he [Dr Rob Wüst, an author of the study at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam] said.

"As we went into Christmas 2023, the ONS Winter Infection Survey (based on thousands people testing on lateral flow tests regardless of symptoms) showed that we were in the biggest wave England had seen since the summer of 2022. Neither the ONS survey nor the UKHSA published data updates over the Christmas period, but we do have some new information to inform what might happen over the next few weeks."

"My personal feeling is that this wave will be as high as the large waves of 2022, and possibly even the highest so far, in terms of infections..."

think my last post was misconstrued as I couldn't get quote tags working (still can't put Boris' name in the quote)

A surge in the number of flu and Covid admissions to hospitals in England is adding to a “storm of pressure” facing the health service, NHS leaders have said.

I meant that Boris thinks that's fake news after what he said in whatsapp

"I no longer buy all this nhs overwhelmed stuff"

advertisement

Back