advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XXIV

This is a little out of date now. Very unfortunately, here's been nothing from Stuard McDonald regarding number since Christmas.

"When the latest Covid variant to take the world by storm (JN.1) reached dominance in England just before Christmas, on top of already increasing cases and hospital admissions, I fully expected a continuing significant increase in Covid prevalence into early January. Flu admissions were also rapidly increasing, leading to worries I highlighted about a repeat of last year NHS emergency care crisis. The very good news is that I was wrong. To the surprise of - I think it’s fair to say - most people, prevalence has declined a bit since Christmas, hospital Covid admissions are flatt(ish) and flu admissions have come down in the most recent week. It is likely that we will avoid (thankfully) the NHS worst ever winter crisis of last year. That said, there is plenty of scope for a bump in cases and admissions in the second half of this month as people return to work and school. And there will also likely be a significant sting in the tail of this large wave in terms of new Long Covid cases, although unfortunately the ONS is no longer measuring Long Covid prevalence."

In week 3, influenza activity increased across most indicators. COVID-19 activity stabilised after
decreases in recent weeks. Respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) activity decreased across most
indicators.

I'm off work at the moment with a virus. Judging from the symptoms yesterday (headache, chills, cough, feeling run down) and the fact that it was negative on a Covid test, I think it's the flu. When I phoned in this morning it turned out that all but one person in the lab are also off sick!

I'm off work at the moment with a virus. Judging from the symptoms yesterday (headache, chills, cough, feeling run down) and the fact that it was negative on a Covid test, I think it's the flu. When I phoned in this morning it turned out that all but one person in the lab are also off sick!
There is a flu-like virus going around according to the report.

Covid and flu both falling here in MA - great news.

Interesting report here showing that RSV hospitalized far more young children than Covid this winter.
Flu hospitalized far more adults than Covid this winter.
Covid hospitalized more older adults (65+) than flu this winter.

It is good to see all of the graphs falling - let's hope we are past this winter's peak for respiratory illnesses.

My elderly aunt caught Covid while she is staying in hospital since last week. Fortunately she is being well looked after by the staff in the hospital.

The first private Covid jabs:

Pharmacies in England and Scotland to offer private Covid jabs – for £45

Pharmadoctor is offering appointments from 1 April for vaccinations and intends to add more pharmacies to its network

Did you spot the unfiltered marketing spin in the article? I thought they employed journalists not copy and paste merchants.
Its old technology dressed up as “for those worried about what these newer more advanced mRNA vaccines might do to them”. Of course they’ll amplify that crap to gain market share from NHS vaccines.

The last thing we need right now is commercial marketing noise muddying the national picture for commercial gain.

In week 7, influenza and COVID-19 activity decreased across most indicators. Respiratory
syncytial virus (RSV) activity was low with indications of further decreases across some
indicators

Overall, COVID-19 hospitalisations decreased to 3.00 per 100,000 in week 7 compared to 3.60
per 100,000 in the previous week. Hospitalisations were highest in the 85 years and over age
group. COVID-19 ICU admissions remained low and decreased to 0.09 per 100,000 in week 7.

In other news:

National Museums of Liverpool (NML) are on strike afer management refusing to hand over a Covid payment agreed last year.
The 230 strikers, members of the PCS union, began a lively eight-week strike last Saturday, shutting all but one of NML’s seven museums and galleries.

The latest Covid news in England is good news. Hospital admissions with Covid have been falling steadily over the past few weeks, with a sizeable 25% fall in the most recent week.

The ONS Winter infection survey ends in March this year, the clue being in the name. We thus lose our best source of infection data for at least another 6 months (assuming that ONS is funded to do it again next year - I hope they are, and perhaps could add Flu and RSV rapid tests in too!). To compound this, NHS England have just announced that their weekly Covid hospital admissions data will be monthly from April this year.

Covid might be edging towards becoming a winter bug, but it is not there yet. In 2023, we saw a late big wave in March and then cases start to increase by the end of August with another peak in October, before a large December wave. While people can be reasonably sure of not catching either RSV or Flu outside of the winter months, the same is simply not (yet?) true of Covid. For the clinically extremely vulnerable in paticular, this hole in our knowledge of Covid prevalence will matter. In my ideal world, I’d continue the ONS infection survey (in its current form) at least until Covid settles into a more predictable pattern, or we have next generation vaccines available that can protect better against infection.

In week 8, influenza and COVID-19 activity continued to decrease across most indicators.
Respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) activity remained low with indications of further decreases
across some indicators.

Overall, COVID-19 hospitalisations decreased to 2.23 per 100,000 in week 8 compared to 2.98
per 100,000 in the previous week. Hospitalisations were highest in the 85 years and over age
group. COVID-19 ICU admissions remained low and remained stable at 0.09 per 100,000 in
week 8

In week 9, influenza and COVID-19 activity decreased across most indicators. Respiratory
syncytial virus (RSV) activity remained low with indications of further decreases across some
indicators

Overall, COVID-19 hospitalisations decreased to 1.60 per 100,000 compared to 2.25 per
100,000 in the previous week. Hospitalisations were highest in the 85 years and over age
group. COVID-19 ICU admissions remained low and decreased slightly to 0.06 per 100,000 in
week 9

Here's an excellent piece on chronic fatigue syndrome relevent re long covid and other post viral conditions that receive little funding and attention.

‘You don’t want to get better’: the outdated treatment of ME/CFS patients is a national scandal

George Monbiot

From harmful ‘therapies’ to social services referrals, the notion that this illness is psychosomatic is having devastating effects

advertisement

Back