advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XXIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why the UK can’t rely on boosters to get through each new wave of Covid
Danny Altmann

The take-home message is that the pandemic is very much with us and evolving dynamically, with a long, bumpy road ahead. The option to sleepwalk through this, taking automatic-pilot choices based on what was “good enough” in the first wave is one we adopt at our peril. We must look at options besides simply boosting through every successive wave. At a time when the US has cut future vaccine research funding, and the UK also needs to maintain its momentum, this should be an urgent priority.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/mar/28/uk-cant-rely-on-boosters-new-wave-covid

Still testing positive. Bad headaches have gone, to be left with colt type symptoms. The horrible part for me is waking up in the night wet through with sweat. Has always been an identifier that things aren’t well with me, when my body temperature can’t control itself. Still off work. Ho hum. Can’t even help with the decorating…

Still testing positive. Bad headaches have gone, to be left with colt type symptoms. The horrible part for me is waking up in the night wet through with sweat. Has always been an identifier that things aren’t well with me, when my body temperature can’t control itself. Still off work. Ho hum. Can’t even help with the decorating…
Hope you feel better soon Andrew, it's not a pleasant experience for sure.

You're still quite likely to be infectious if you lft is positive...

I had very, very bad night sweats when I started to recover - hopefully a sign that it's on the way out for you.

215 001 cases today. That's about 5% down on last Monday so there are signs of the reported cases peaking as we go into the last days of free testing, it remains to be seen if this will be reflected in the admissions. 217 deaths and no admissions update today.

The CDC advise may or may not be good, but I am quite confident that almost nobody in the USA is currently following it, in no small part because LFTs are either expensive ($12 per test) or inconvenient to get hold of. We're just fortunate that (so far) the Ba2 variant has not really taken off here to the extent it has in Europe - possibly because there's more immunity from the enormous wave of Omicron BA1.1 in December and January.

Best wishes to all those sick with covid for a swift and full recovery.

From ‘herd immunity’ to today, Covid minimisers are still sabotaging our pandemic progress
William Hanage

Every time you hear someone say it’s time to ‘live with the virus’, remember that doesn’t mean doing nothing about it

After almost all interventions were removed, the UK has been predictably buffeted by a wave of BA.2 infections. For now, it appears that the disease is comfortingly similar to BA.1, by which I mean readily handled by the great majority of vaccinated folks. But to insist that future variants will be similar is a gamble, not a policy. Rather than maintaining its world-beating scientific effort to understand the properties of the variants as they emerge, the UK is scaling back funding. It doesn’t end because you want it to. Every time you’ve heard a voice state it’s time to “live with the virus” remember that doesn’t mean doing nothing about it.

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...covid-minimisers-sabotaging-pandemic-progress

All the best for those recently infected. It’s unpleasant but mostly ok during the time you’re ill. I hope you don’t suffer longer term issues. We suspect my wife’s painful head is an after effect but in truth we don’t know, I suppose we are paranoid about this darned virus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back