advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XXIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mrs Mull round about day 5 of being symptomatic. Seems very simillar to a cold. Not too much coughing. Not much sore throat. Just wiped out.
I'm still negative....

80 830 cases, 303 deaths reported today and 2 006, 1 925, 1 869 and 2037 (14% up on last Tuesday) admissions to 27/3. Perhaps this is the peak or thereabouts...

This comment from Wendy Barclay, who's a Professor of Virology at Imperial College London, is relevant here. At about 1.01.30 in the video - I don’t know how the science has moved on in the past month.

The big unknown for people like me at the moment is, how will the virus go next and is antigenic escape necessarily driving milder infection, or will the next solution for the virus be a different combination, perhaps antigenic escape and a severe infection? We can't exclude that at the moment because we don't understand why omicron has changed its behaviour in the way it has. Is it a necessary consequence for the virus, this change in antigenic characteristics, or not. Can they be uncoupled? That's intense research, big questions. There are a number of other worrying things out there, we've seen the virus hop back into certain animal species, from where it could always re-emerge in the future.. . and there's some evidence that chronically infected people incubate these viruses for a long time and give rise to these new variants, there are many many thousands of these people around the world. I don't think that this is the last variant we'll see. I don't know at the moment what the characteristics of the next variant will be. I think that if we continue to see this trend in downward severity after another one or two variants I will feel a lot more comfortable in saying, yes, let's relax.

Mrs Mull round about day 5 of being symptomatic. Seems very simillar to a cold. Not too much coughing. Not much sore throat. Just wiped out.
I'm still negative....

The Wife is negative but has a cold and sore throat.

My Covid is a bit of snot and feel grotty. No sore throat. So far.
Still coughing up green though.

When you start coughing up black, you've got Corvid.

I used to smoke, so appreciate coughing up any brown/black bits out of my lungs.

Seriously thinking of doing a steam/menthol inhalation - towel over my head job to help expectorate phlegm off my chest. We have no Vicks in the house though - it is the steam that is required though. That will be a very 1970’s thing to do.

Also going to do some Huffing.

It is a fantastic technique that I learned from a Physiotherapist decades ago. I have used it with many patients. Takes a bit of practice, but is very effective.

https://www.cff.org/coughing-and-huffing

I used to smoke, so appreciate coughing up any brown/black bits out of my lungs.

Seriously thinking of doing a steam/menthol inhalation - towel over my head job to help expectorate phlegm off my chest. We have no Vicks in the house though - it is the steam that is required though. That will be a very 1970’s thing to do.

When I was in hospital the guy in the next bed had a hospital aquired infection and had to do this every two or three hours.

The Wife is negative but has a cold and sore throat.

My Covid is a bit of snot and feel grotty. No sore throat. So far.
Still coughing up green though.

Get well. I’m on day 10, tested positive yesterday. Seems to be lingering a bit, feels just like a mild cold. Better half is fine and back to normal.

When I was in hospital the guy in the next bed had a hospital aquired infection and had to do this every two or three hours.

It is effective.

We have a very old inhaler from an antique shop, the Granddaughters used to play ‘World War One Trench Nurses’ with it (plus other medical equipment) - it was a crazy role-play game that they invented.

What’s the accepted protocol in terms of infection timescales? If I’m still testing positive after 14 days, what’s the level of risk of being contagious? I realise many people will not be testing so will carry on regardless. That feels irresponsible to me but if I’m one of these people who tests positive for weeks but is feeling fine, am I OK to see people?

Also going to do some Huffing.

It is a fantastic technique that I learned from a Physiotherapist decades ago. I have used it with many patients. Takes a bit of practice, but is very effective.

https://www.cff.org/coughing-and-huffing

If you decide to do a steam inhilation try adding a few drops of olbas oil to the water..

87 188 cases, (positivity is the same, 11%, as a fortnight ago) 213 deaths and 2 280 admissions (28/3), 15% up on last Wednesday and the 2nd highest figure this year.

With rising Covid cases, York MP Rachael Maskell has called for free lateral flow testing to continue for another three months in England - as is being done in Wales. Health Minister Maggie Throup rejected the idea, saying: "We have moved on and broken the chain of transmission."

"Repeating what many have already said, but for the Health Minister @maggie_erewash to say that we have broken the train of transmission is both completely wrong and concerning at her lack of understanding of the situation." [Hardly surprising if your advisors no longer meet!]

https://twitter.com/john_actuary/status/1509091264783962113?cxt=HHwWgsC-sdCgr_EpAAAA

iu

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back