advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XXIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

gavreid

Pretty Words...
I’m now at the day 6 stage and did a test and it’s still as positive as it was on day 2 (ie, quickly showing both lines strongly). I feel that I’m not going to get away with this early release from isolation at all and will have to do the full 10 day stint. I am really amazed that others who spent significant time with me in the same room have thankfully and hopefully got away with it. My partner has a cough but has tested negative daily and is also triple jabbed herself, just to be on the safe side she is staying in doors for a week at her place as she feels that’s the right thing to do.

Could I ask what happens if I have a similarly quick positive result on the LFT on day 10 , what do I do then?. Thanks.

I’m also running low on the LFT tests and the .Gov website seems to always be short of them.

It would have been great if the government automatically sent a box of tests out to people who are positive as we surely need them.

You must be very careful if you're still showing positive lateral flows at day 10. Again, best of luck!

"Last-minute moves to tackle the spread of the Omicron variant of Covid in schools, colleges and universities in England will not be enough to avoid disruption or stop large-scale absences among staff and students, unions and school leaders have warned."

https://www.theguardian.com/educati...ron-in-english-schools-not-enough-unions-warn
Good to see the unions starting to hold the government to account (but also good to see that some air purification units are to be made available, eventually):

"Mary Bousted, joint general secretary of the National Education Union, said the order of 7,000 purifiers would be “completely inadequate” for providing clean air."

I came across a document that one of the unions had written giving a good description of what was required from a ventilation point of view. Way beyond the previous government advice which seemed to be what schools based their ventilation risk assessments on (from 2020 I think). The ones that were linked to on here and discussed mirrored the advice from the government (as you would expect, unless they did some research and even then I doubt that veering from government guidelines would be welcomed), but were not much use in terms of measures to protect the pupils and staff. This document looks to be based much more on the scientific information availalable:

https://www.nasuwt.org.uk/advice/he...ning-of-schools/ventilation-and-covid-19.html

Any existing risk assessment must also be reviewed prior to changes in other mitigations.

Members should avoid working in rooms that are poorly ventilated. Poorly ventilated rooms will often have:

• no mechanical ventilation and no or limited natural ventilation;
  • mechanical systems that do not provide outdoor air, i.e. only recirculate air;
  • a feeling of stuffiness or bad odours.

As a slight aside, I wouldn't consider myself spectacularly well off in PFM terms, but it's been very strange to watch my pension increase by double figures annually during the pandemic in response to government economic stimulus.

Meanwhile friends suddenly found themselves out of work and struggling to get by on universal credit.

It does feel like the pandemic has increased inequality. Or at least made the division even clearer.

You've done well, mine dropped 30% Jan to March 2020, up 50% since then so not too bad i guess.

I am really amazed that others who spent significant time with me in the same room have thankfully and hopefully got away with it. My partner has a cough but has tested negative daily and is also triple jabbed herself, just to be on the safe side she is staying in doors for a week at her place as she feels that’s the right thing to do
No pandemic required for that. It's an inevitable consequence of a Tory Govt.
No pandemic required for that. It's an inevitable consequence of a Tory Govt.

Sorry Mull but your hatred of Tory’s is clouding your brain. People with money will always make money whilst those without will struggle.

"Just looking at latest intensive care data published on Fri. Showing fairly substantial increase in proportion of unvaccinated patients admitted to ICU for Covid over last month. From around 48% to 61%. " This suggests increased severity in the unvaccinated, and possibly explains the growth in paediatric admissions too.

https://twitter.com/jim_reed/status/1477421130533249028/photo/2

"Looking at older age bands, there appears to have been a steep increase in new cases over Christmas. The last 2 days shown below may increase as further samples are processed."

https://twitter.com/UncleJo46902375/status/1477531735634198528/photo/1

For those who continue to down play paediactric infections:

"COVID-19 caused (yes, caused as per ONS death certification) 82 deaths in children by Dec 2021. The no. of deaths *just this year* is >2x the deaths caused by flu annually prior to the pandemic. Far more than chicken pox, far more than measles or any childhood illness."

"77,000 children estimated to have long COVID- doubled over 4 months due to mass infection in children. 14,000 have had symptoms for *more than a year*. Name any other childhood illness that's had this level of impact."

"9000 children had been orphaned in England and Wales by end of March 2021 - but no one talks about the impact of early life bereavement on children." Many of these will have passed on school infection.

"As per last ONS publication on New Years eve 1 in 15 primary school age children were infected with SARS-CoV-2 - higher than any other age group, and 1 in 20 2ndary school age children. These are the infection rates children may go back to school with."

https://twitter.com/dgurdasani1/status/1477630305636913161

137 583 cases reported today (England and Wales only) and 73 deaths (7 day rolling average is up 50%)

"The government has told head teachers in England to start preparing for staff shortages by using support staff as fill-in teachers, combining classes or using hybrid learning, with some classes taught remotely and some face-to-face.

In an email sent to schools on Sunday, the department for education (DfE) advised them to deal with staff shortages by combining classes into larger groups."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...088fd750196da0#block-61d1cb768f088fd750196da0

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back