advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was hoping to visit the UK soon, to see my parents, but I have a bad feeling that the UK will be getting travel blacklisted for this new variant, so I would risk getting stranded

On our visit to Denmark recently, almost no-one was wearing masks outside the airport, where they're mandatory. Our daughter, who lives in Copenhagen, told us that she gets 'funny looks' from the locals if she wears a mask.

I was hoping to visit the UK soon, to see my parents, but I have a bad feeling that the UK will be getting travel blacklisted for this new variant, so I would risk getting stranded

At worst you would have to spend a few days flying through another country. You said they are old: perhaps you should see them.

Is it not in Malaysia already then? 30 seconds internet searching didn’t come up with a clear answer! It’s pretty widespread I think.

You forgot to mention this - we wouldn’t want to give people the wrong impression!

So how worried should we be?

Don’t press the panic button yet

Remember Delta had 60-80% transmission advantage, but that was in a partially vaxxed/unvaxxed population. Best case scenario it’s no more transmissible than Delta & growth is coincident w/case numbers rising…

I think more likely the next best scenario: a slightly more transmissible version of OG Delta, which replaces Delta slowly over next few months

We have Delta, no local AY.4.2 yet so they might impose more quarantine restrictions from the UK. Right now I could apply to stay at home for just 1 week

train out of London to Margate almost everyone wearing masks. On the busses around Margate impressive level of mask wearing. On the train back home mask wearing was about 50%

On our visit to Denmark recently, almost no-one was wearing masks outside the airport, where they're mandatory. Our daughter, who lives in Copenhagen, told us that she gets 'funny looks' from the locals if she wears a mask.

Our visit to North Tenerife was similar to @nickg experience in Portugal. Huge compliance with mask wearing and social distancing. Both were we stayed and in the capital Santa Cruz and La Laguna. Similar to what I experience in Ireland. My visit to the UK shocked me. We ain't great number wise and cases have risen to circa 2400 per day. We have just re-opened night clubs and after what was witnessed new regulations are coming in from next week to make them ticket only. To put things in perspective UK cases 44k-50K. Irish cases would be circa 29K. This has risen from figures that only recently were at 10k-15K if we equalized the populations. My experience over one day in various locations is a very cavalry attitude to personal safety and safety of others. I realize that might be only the locations I visited but the numbers don't lie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back