advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.
(Week 41! nearly 2022 :eek: )

Yes. March 2020 seems a very long time ago... :(

RU7qxny.png

Most of them had, for one reason or another, declined the offer of a vaccine or had not had time for the vaccine to have its effect. This is out of date but I haven't heard that it's changed over the past three months. This is more or less born out by some very recent data from Northern Island which you can find easily online.

25756.jpeg

I mention this because I think it's morally important. It would be morally bad for the government to put people in a position where they are risking death by living ordinary lives. But that's not what's happening -- the Government are giving them the offer of a protective shield which some people decline -- and that, IMO, exonerates them.

You can take a horse to water but you can't -- shouldn't IMO -- make him drink.

Something escapes me here: why do these figures add up to 73.2% instead of 100% ?

36 567 cases reported today, 38 deaths and 799, 760 and 756 admissions (to 23rd)
Looks like the number of cases is starting to drop. Yes, the weekly average is still slightly up (2.2%), but the shape of the curve does suggest that it has passed its peak.

Looks like the number of cases is starting to drop. Yes, the weekly average is still slightly up (2.2%), but the shape of the curve does suggest that it has passed its peak.

Possibly, it's all been very sudden though, we had ca 50 000 cases reported on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. Hopefully half term will really limit case numbers for a while.

FDA and CDC reservations about the need for blanket boosters, despite official recommendations:

“But the recommendations — even those approved unanimously — mask significant dissent and disquiet among those advisers about the need for booster shots in the United States.

In interviews last week, several advisers to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and to the Food and Drug Administration said data show that, with the exception of adults over age 65, the vast majority of Americans are already well protected against severe illness and do not need booster shots.”

https://twitter.com/apoorva_nyc/status/1452638637884125190?s=21

Nonetheless it’s good to see the UK’s booster program - still on vulnerable groups - picking up.

The booster programme is chaotic. One chap in our street was contacted the day before 6 months and jabbed next day. Others younger than me have been boosted. Older couple contacted GP and got booked in..but not till 3rd Nov. I'm on 182 days and still heard nothing.
Meanwhile govt. is moaning that people are not taking up the offer of the booster. Something doesn't add up.

The booster programme is chaotic. One chap in our street was contacted the day before 6 months and jabbed next day. Others younger than me have been boosted. Older couple contacted GP and got booked in..but not till 3rd Nov. I'm on 182 days and still heard nothing.
Meanwhile govt. is moaning that people are not taking up the offer of the booster. Something doesn't add up.
Have you tried booking yourself in on gov.uk ?

Could be worth calling your GP and enquiring Mull (if you've not done so already)

I'm on 182 days and still heard nothing.

You can sign up for one yourself. I don’t know your specific area, but there will be a website or contact number somewhere. Just google and you will find. Certainly don’t wait for the government to contact you if you are over the date range, it will likely be a screwup in some outsourced company somewhere. Where I live the local council were even spamming Facebook getting folk to sign up. In fairness they have been really good here, though I did resent having to go to the 7th circle of Oldham for the booster. At least it was available and is now done.

You can sign up for one yourself. I don’t know your specific area, but there will be a website or contact number somewhere. Just google and you will find. Certainly don’t wait for the government to contact you if you are over the date range, it will likely be a screwup in some outsourced company somewhere. Where I live the local council were even spamming Facebook getting folk to sign up. In fairness they have been really good here, though I did resent having to go to the 7th circle of Oldham for the booster. At least it was available and is now done.

They're usually inconvenient places for the likes of me (!!) and older folks without transport. I think I've said before that my parents are blind - who takes them?

They're usually inconvenient places for the likes of me (!!) and older folks without transport. I think I've said before that my parents are blind - who takes them?

I would have hoped there was a strategy for blind folk, the elderly etc that included transportation options. I was a bit annoyed I had to travel 6 miles or whatever it is for my booster, but I’m more than capable of doing so (I just arranged it on a day I was passing on my way back from Manchester on public transport). I was actually more concerned by the lack of clarity and delays at the hospital itself. It was a *very* long and confusing walk without signposting within the hospital grounds to find the vaccine location. Loads of winding corridors, turns, stairs etc, even going outside. I’d not want to have been old, frail or handicapped in any way. The comparison with the initial jabs was huge, that was a short walk away from my home right in the town centre and remarkably well organised with a very clear route and staff advising at every stage. Lots of seats etc too.

According to the NHS website, you can book yourself in for a booster jab, but only after six months has elapsed since your second jab. That’s presumably why the older couple you mention have to wait until 3 November. They advise waiting until you’re contacted, but to book yourself an appointment if you haven’t heard anything 190 days after your second jab (we had to chase up our second jab, so I’ll be keeping an eye on this process myself).

NHS web site actually says you can book in after six months if a care worker or in very vulnerable groups. Otherwise it says wait 190 days and then chase it up if not contacted.

There is no clarity as to who is delivering jabs and where.

My GP Surgery has no mention of boosters on its website.

The chap who got boosted on exactly six months is less vulnerable than me and only a year older, or a bit less. He also only had his first and second jab a week before me, but is now likely to be 1 month ahead..at least. The older couple are 75, yet made to wait until after a 73 year old. I miscounted, I'm actually on 185 days. 190 days from Sat 30th. And I'm 100 days short of my 73rd birthday.

I hope that is right. I have to admit I ignore the ‘cases’ figure as it is such a random dataset, the hospitalisations and deaths is the only real indicator of where we are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back