advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess the thing to remember is that direct health risks for healthy young people really do seem to be very low. My main concern for them would have to do with mental health, and that's something family can help with. The broader issue is of course the likelihood that having congregated for marathon super spreading sessions they then disperse across the country and seed the virus everywhere.

Yes, somewhere like St Andrews is pretty isolated. It's a different problem at any of the northern red bricks where the students will be mixing over a good parts of the cities. The danger there is a serious growth in anti-student sentiment...

6874 cases today, 40 deaths excluding Scotland. Still waiting for hospitals, yesterday's figure was stable thankfully - I don't think I got that amid the site crash.

Edit: Sorry I spoke too soon, 314 hospital admissions in England - plus 70 in Wales on Wednesday.

I thought it would be helpful to graph English hospital admissions in September for you all - the upward trend from about the 18th is pretty evident now

6874 cases today, 40 deaths excluding Scotland. Still waiting for hospitals, yesterday's figure was stable thankfully - I don't think I got that amid the site crash.

Deaths have now dropped to 34. Did the figure of 40 earlier include Scotland after all?

Putting aside that the pandemic provides the perfect cover for Boris the Buffoon to get the No-Deal Brexit he always wanted, and whilst the pandemic is of course extremely serious, I feel the hysterical fear-mongering almost everywhere just doesn't help. The media keep showing us graphs of new infections rising to the levels seen last spring, when the FACT is that whilst around the peak in the first half of April there were in the UK almost 1,000 average deaths per day, now it's about 25. That's 97.5% less : a cause for hysteria & endless fear-mongering just about everywhere.

I have discussed this with various health professionals and also others working with public health authorities here in The Netherlands, many of whom feel that this virus will become like EBV (Epstein Barr), with which it is estimated around 95% of us are infected without serious consequences. In the meantime, it is interesting to compare UK data with Sweden to see how their much more liberal approach has affected the population, with significantly less damage to their economy & vilification of their young (although all world economies are being very seriously damaged). You can switch the data to "per million" to adjust for population differences :

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavi...othing=7&pickerMetric=location&pickerSort=asc

My take on this from reading the thread.

Let’s be clear, coronavirus is a very difficult virus to contain and governments of any stripe would have been struggling to deal with this. The UK is not the only country to struggle to keep a lid on this global pandemic.

That said, I think the blame lies somewhere in the middle for Britain faring worse than other countries for virus deaths and in seeing this second spike in cases. There is no doubt in my mind that the government locked down too late first time round, and by the time they did, the virus had already taken its hold. I also believe the test track and trace system, far from being ‘world beating’ isn’t fit for purpose, and it’s hard to properly open workplaces and schools without this at least functioning properly.

On the contrary, although many have followed the rules, particularly at the start of the lockdown when the ‘stay home’ message was clear, there have been a large minority that have flouted them. This, in my opinion, has got worse since Cummings broke the rules and was allowed to get away with doing so. People rightly thought that if it was one rule for them and an entirely different one for those making them, then why should they bother? Where I live in Manchester, you regularly see people meeting up for house parties and other large gatherings, or people who go into shops without a mask and don’t social distance. There are times when I’m in a minority wearing a mask! It doesn’t help the fact there’s very little enforcement so people feel they can get away with it, and there’s no doubt the rules and all these local lockdowns can be very contradictory and confusing which doesn’t help compliance.

So it’s a bit of both really. There is no doubt though that the governments of other countries have dealt with this whole crisis a lot better. Take Germany for instance, it had a relatively small first wave and isn’t seeing the same kind of spike in cases as Spain and France and ourselves the second time round. A lot of that is down to a swift and effective government response and a far superior testing set-up.

I do hope the latest restrictions by the government work, although I have my doubts, and that we don’t go into a second national lockdown. I do also hope that a vaccine is round the corner, but I do believe we’ve got months more of these restrictions to come and that coronavirus will eventually be something we learn to live with.

Just had a bizarre experience.
Went shopping and everyone was masked up except for three women of varied ages, not together, who were wearing what I can only describe as mini visors that went up from the chin and ended below the eyes.
Completely open to the air.
I wonder WTF they think they are achieving.

Remind me - what are the new rules on shop workers wearing masks? Wife and daughter go to O2 shop just now. To person on door - we're not coming in if your staff aren't wearing masks, reply - well don't come come in then...

Just had a bizarre experience.
Went shopping and everyone was masked up except for three women of vaRied ages, not together, who were wearing what I can only describe as mini visors that went up from the chin and ended below the eyes.
Completely open to the air.
I wonder WTF they think they are achieving.
Maybe it’s a different way of trying to reduce the distance their exhales travel. I’ve no idea if it would be more or less effective than a permeable covering in this regard.

There was a young student interviewed on The Today programme this morning, quite funny, he said 'we can't even sing!' what kind of law is that, eh?'

Thought the guy was brilliant, he obviously knew that singing spreads the virus but he turned it right round like young people do and out of context it sounded like they (students) were in some sort of prison, a bit monty python if you will.

Pretty sad too though, these young people are the future of the country and they can't even sing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back