advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain X

Status
Not open for further replies.
We were tested (April) at a large drive-in testing station at Manchester Airport. Is that not still open? If it is (and I would expect it is) then there's something wrong with the algorithm if it's sending you to Telford from Rochdale.
Manchester airport one was still open at the weekend.

My employer suggested we all get tests as we will be travelling between educational bubbles, the nearest available one from Rochdale is Telford. My son’s class have been given a close contact warning and are awaiting the result of one pupil’s test. If it’s positive he’ll be in fourteen days isolation. However who is going to drive to bloody Telford for a test? We are in a bloody hotspot apparently ffs. It’s ridiculous.

Not only that but while you all wait you could all be getting the virus! It's genius planning :rolleyes:

Well if my 10 year old son has it, there isn’t much we can do about it. Not planning on locking him in the shed for a fortnight...

My employer suggested we all get tests as we will be travelling between educational bubbles, the nearest available one from Rochdale is Telford. My son’s class have been given a close contact warning and are awaiting the result of one pupil’s test. If it’s positive he’ll be in fourteen days isolation. However who is going to drive to bloody Telford for a test? We are in a bloody hotspot apparently ffs. It’s ridiculous.
My wife who works in care has been trying to get a test for ages as she regularly goes to different Care settings. Fed up with not getting anywhere she lied and said she had covid symptoms. Even then the nearest place she could get tested was a 3 hour round trip away

My wife who works in care has been trying to get a test for ages as she regularly goes to different Care settings. Fed up with not getting anywhere she lied and said she had covid symptoms. Even then the nearest place she could get tested was a 3 hour round trip away

We have been invited to a council staff specific one, but I know there are four in my immediate vicinity, I’m working at home and would prefer not to trek to the centre of Oldham. Laziness maybe, but none of the local ones seem to be booking appointments. Telford was the best the NHS could manage. Madness.

David Lammy "A constituent has just got in touch upset that the nearest drive-through COVID test a pupil in Tottenham has been offered is in Inverness."

It seems to be a national issue. I can actually have one in the town hall car park of the authority I work for, however it would have been more convenient to go to one of the supposed local places. There was one at the Etihad as well. The story seems to be that there’s an issue with the labs so that access to on the ground testing is being cut-off.

It is the flow of bad news that is being cut-off. Information management is the most important part of political success. Ask Winston.

David Lammy "A constituent has just got in touch upset that the nearest drive-through COVID test a pupil in Tottenham has been offered is in Inverness."

Tough decision for a head teacher - do you close the school in case, or press on and risk a huge outbreak? Surely we'll be see a lot more of this...

We have been invited to a council staff specific one, but I know there are four in my immediate vicinity, I’m working at home and would prefer not to trek to the centre of Oldham. Laziness maybe, but none of the local ones seem to be booking appointments. Telford was the best the NHS could manage. Madness.
If so many people in at risk groups cannot, practically, get a test, will not a proportion of them test positive? If such people are not counted in the infection figure, because they're unknown, what is the real figure?

I think that’s the point. I’m hopeful that this time hospital rates etc are down because the infections being counted include the so called ‘pillar 2’ data. At the start of the pandemic it was only pillar 1. Some of my colleagues have been to the official council site, I will try and book a test there tomorrow.

I think that’s the point. I’m hopeful that this time hospital rates etc are down because the infections being counted include the so called ‘pillar 2’ data. At the start of the pandemic it was only pillar 1. Some of my colleagues have been to the official council site, I will try and book a test there tomorrow.
Yes. I’ve been listening to the news on and off since PM, and while there’s been a lot of chat, some of it interesting, I’m not convinced that the fundamental point that key workers (remember them?) can’t get a test without taking half a day off work (or more) is being made with any clarity.

Key workers are at the pointy end of this health crisis, if they can’t get tests, surely something is very, very wrong?

I had the misfortune of having to stop at a services near Stoke today. Literally nobody wearing masks inside and no distancing. It was quite unbelievable. There were more people wearing masks when I called into a supermarket in Wales on the way home, where masks are not required. If people are thick as mince, there’s not really a lot any govt can actually do. I can only deduce from what I saw today that it’s herd immunity all the way in the north, people just don’t seem to give a monkeys about it. It does seem a northern thing, I witness very different behaviour in the south.

On Wirral, for every 6 folk wearing them there seem to be 4 not giving a toss, depressing to say the least and now some local pubs are shut due to outbreaks

Starmer on the offensive:

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...ks-test-and-trace-system-on-verge-of-collapse

when there’s f-all he can do about it.

Starting to feel a bit sorry for test and trace people TBH: they’re probably doing their best given the circumstances - i.e. a centralised system being run with no transparency by someone’s mate with no experience or expertise - and it feels like the time to criticise was when those circumstances were being put in place and alternatives could be proposed. Total silence then, and crowing now that its all very predictably blown up. It’s going to be the same with schools, everything. Too late Keith!

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back