advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain X

Status
Not open for further replies.
That would be your choice @Thorn - there are those of us in a similar boat who are being left with Hobson's choice, if I don't send my kids to School Johnson will ensure that I'm fined - at first...

That would be your choice @Thorn - there are those of us in a similar boat who are being left with Hobson's choice, if I don't send my kids to School Johnson will ensure that I'm fined - at first...
I thought going to school wasn't compulsory, but being schooled was. So why can't you continue to home school as you presumably were during last term.

I doubt the courts would actually do any fining, surely there's a legitimate defence under the present circumstances?

ks,

Thanks, I'd likely be OK if I got COVID-19, though people younger and in good health have died from it so I wouldn't want to test that hypothesis. But my wife (who has scarred lungs from pneumonia as a child) and my mother (who is elderly, immunocompromised and in poor health) would almost certainly not pull through.

I can't understand how anyone who's attended a school at some time as a child — i.e., everyone — thinks that social distancing could possibly work in this setting. It's not as though the flu, a nasty cold or a case of the shits hasn't spread like wildfire throughout a school and then to families previously. Why would anyone think that COVID-19 will be different?

Joe

Is proper social distancing at schools the actual policy though, or just a "where you can" scenario?

I go to a lot of schools, probably two dozen different ones in the last ten days alone, none of them were enforcing strict social distancing or wearing masks (kids or staff).

The only common plan amongst them is keeping kids in a 'bubble' of their own year group, which is still hundreds of kids so I'm still not sure that is at all effective.

Is proper social distancing at schools the actual policy though, or just a "where you can" scenario?

I go to a lot of schools, probably two dozen different ones in the last ten days alone, none of them were enforcing strict social distancing or wearing masks (kids or staff).

The only common plan amongst them is keeping kids in a 'bubble' of their own year group, which is still hundreds of kids so I'm still not sure that is at all effective.

probably basing it on the size of a year group at Eton

yasJoex.jpg

Boris ‘gets’ Covid.

I've only come across three people who have had Covid 19, one guy is a mate and he contracted it way back in early April, I think, I was speaking to him on the phone on Saturday and he is basically gubbed, he said that he is immune compromised now and can't really leave his house for fear of catching some bug or other and that he sleeps up to 16 hours a day.

Another guy is/was a delivery driver with one of my suppliers, he contracted Covid 19 back in April too, I think, and he ended up in hospital for months and he also infected his mother and his partner, far as I know they all survived.

Today I was speaking to a customer who's partner contracted Covid 19, again back in April, he works in a young offenders place in Paisley, I think, anyway he got it bad apparently and he also infected his son and the son's girlfriend, his wife thinks she contracted Covid 19 before her husband, the husband is also gubbed, the wife/customer works as teaching assistant in my old/first primary school funnily enough which is in a pretty poor area of Glasgow or was when I lived there, I'm not sure if she's back at work yet.

The first guy has definite health issues so I'm not surprised he has on-going health problems, the driver I only know casually but he is a big guy, not overweight, just tall and well built and the third guy is about the same physique as the driver, the first and the third guys are over 50 the driver is around 40 I'd guess might be older as I've know him for a good fifteen to twenty years so he could be nearer 50.

I hear people saying all of the time I don't know anyone with corona virus/covid 19 and for a while I was pretty much the same but there does seem to be more and more people who I personally know have had it which is a bit frightening.

I used to live in Giffnock which is about three miles away from where I live at present and it's a pretty well off area but there are loads of restaurants and take aways there plus at least two pubs, in the past month two restaurants have been closed due to staff or customers having coronavirus and there's another restaurant that is now closed, voluntarily apparently, because a customer tested positive last week.

Scary stuff.

Where’s the toil? The Lady Dido is unperturbed. As with TalkTalk, so in the country’s greatest public health emergency in a century. Got Covid in London? Want tested? Drive to Durham.

Last week they were telling people in Scotland to go to NI to get tested.

Matt,

I'm in Canada and I don't know what the official policy is in the UK, if there even is an official policy. I was commenting generally — we can't expect students to keep their distance from their classmates, wear masks properly throughout the day, and wash their hands often.

A virologist or epidemiologist would say the virus doesn't care whether intentions are noble or if students really tried to do their best, but slipped up because of laziness, bad judgement or negligence. The coronavirus has been refined through millions of years of evolution to infect hosts, replicate and spread, so if hosts are nearby and housed together in buildings...

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/29/us/university-of-alabama-covid-19-cases-trnd/index.html

Joe

They're now moaning the rise is due to the public 'relaxing too much' over the summer, FFS, you made food half price and told everybody to go back to f*cking work you imbeciles!

Don't disagree with your description of the Government and if your job allows you to work from home and you have the Internet to buy food then I recognise it is your right not to venture out to the wider world if you have underlying conditions and your state of anxiety is off scale.

For the rest of us though, who have Covid-secure workplaces/who have been practicing social distancing when eating out etc and live in counties where the cases were less then 1 per 100,000 in July and most of August, why should we allow our liberty to be constrained.

I agree that the situation is changing now and for reasons more complex than te simple dichotomy of either blaming the people/blaming the Government.

Don't disagree with your description of the Government and if your job allows you to work from home and you have the Internet to buy food then I recognise it is your right not to venture out to the wider world if you have underlying conditions and your state of anxiety is off scale.

For the rest of us though, who have Covid-secure workplaces/who have been practicing social distancing when eating out etc and live in counties where the cases were less then 1 per 100,000 in July and most of August, why should we allow our liberty to be constrained.

I agree that the situation is changing now and for reasons more complex than te simple dichotomy of either blaming the people/blaming the Government.

Fred, because you might die, or someone you love might die, or someone just doing their job might die and it could have been prevented.

You can blame the government, their approach has been laissez faire to say the least, they simply do not care, unless it's about themselves, their friends, or their money. You're taking safety advice from shameless liars, if you can't see that... you need an eye test (in Durham).

Least we forget, these are *the people that voted against a pay rise for the nurses (with cheers from the house) the same people were out clapping the nurses for the job they do, the same nurses that'll work 12 hour shifts, the same nurses that'll look after me and you when we're on our last legs and provide us with some dignity when we're down and out.

We deserve better than this government don't we?

I thought going to school wasn't compulsory, but being schooled was. So why can't you continue to home school as you presumably were during last term.

I doubt the courts would actually do any fining, surely there's a legitimate defence under the present circumstances?

I'm not a qualified teacher. I can help with material provided to us, but the teachers can't provide online material while teaching partial classes at the same time. I'm not well enough to be able to do it myself (I managed about an hour a day last term) and not rich enough to pay tutors. It just isn't a realistic option for me and the Authority would never buy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back