advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain X

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s entirely unrealistic to expect that school kids will maintain distance from each other. There’s nothing malicious in this — kids forget, they’re notoriously bad at assessing risk, and in many schools it’s simply impossible.

I’m extremely grateful that where I live online schooling is an option, because if it weren’t I expect that by fall we’d have at least two deaths in the family.

Joe
Sorry to hear you're having to deal with the sharper end of risks to your family. All the best...

...but you're right, social distancing in many schools will be a joke. This government's ignorence of schools shows a carelessness that looks deliberate at times. But then Gavin Williamson has shown many times that he's only on nodding terms with what goes on in a school, so perhaps we shouldn't be surprised

<moderating>

As ever I’ve attempted to remove the aristocracy. New thread here. If I missed anything just use the ‘report’ function and I’ll move it across. I really want to keep this thread tightly focused on covid 19 given everything looks to be going to hell in a Hancock again.

ks,

Sorry to hear you're having to deal with the sharper end of risks to your family. All the best...

Thanks, I'd likely be OK if I got COVID-19, though people younger and in good health have died from it so I wouldn't want to test that hypothesis. But my wife (who has scarred lungs from pneumonia as a child) and my mother (who is elderly, immunocompromised and in poor health) would almost certainly not pull through.

I can't understand how anyone who's attended a school at some time as a child — i.e., everyone — thinks that social distancing could possibly work in this setting. It's not as though the flu, a nasty cold or a case of the shits hasn't spread like wildfire throughout a school and then to families previously. Why would anyone think that COVID-19 will be different?

Joe

Another 3000 (2948) cases today folks - the dashboard did that delayed update trick again if you catch it when it swaps over

I saw that figure earlier on but since about 4 pm it's stuck in some sort of update cycle and eventually displays 'N/A' instead. Is that just me or is it happening with others as well?

I saw that figure earlier on but since about 4 pm it's stuck in some sort of update cycle and eventually displays 'N/A' instead. Is that just me or is it happening with other as well?

No it's been stuck. I caught it just after it updated at 3.55 and, even though it stated updated at 3.55 pm at the top, it was still displaying yesterday's figures, which changed a minute or two later. It went down very soon afterwards but somehow the Guardian was able to quote from it...

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...08c5bb9a756b0c#block-5f564f748f08c5bb9a756b0c

ks,

Thanks, I'd likely be OK if I got COVID-19, though people younger and in good health have died from it so I wouldn't want to test that hypothesis. But my wife (who has scarred lungs from pneumonia as a child) and my mother (who is elderly, immunocompromised and in poor health) would almost certainly not pull through.

I can't understand how anyone who's attended a school at some time as a child — i.e., everyone — thinks that social distancing could possibly work in this setting. It's not as though the flu, a nasty cold or a case of the shits hasn't spread like wildfire throughout a school and then to families previously. Why would anyone think that COVID-19 will be different?

Joe
pref*uckingcisely

It’s possible that because we’re seeing a different demographic get affected in this wave that the virus expresses itself differently and means that younger people won’t be going to hospital as soon after infection or as long or as much. We may find also that certain treatment strategies such as intubation may not be as necessary although other treatment strategies might be necessary.

It also may mark a shift post recovery: From acute to chronic type so for a generation of children well see scarred lungs and breathing difficulties as well as other ongoing problems that have been discussed at length elsewhere, things that would have seen an older generation killed outright, a younger generation may limp along with foreshortened lifespans and lower quality of life expectation.

Last edited:
Plus the use of masks may be reducing the viral load and the subsequent severity of symptoms (there has been a suggestion the two are linked).

It’s possible that because we’re seeing a different demographic get affected in this wave that the virus expresses differently and means that people won’t be going to hospital as soon after infection or as much.

I think they'll be a time lag as the young folk pass on the infection more widely. I don't know about lesser numbers - perhaps this was always the mechanism but it was missed in the days of more limited testing...

Yeah this is why we should be listening to — and policy guided by — epidemiologists and scientists not to government politicians “following the science”.

Because they’re clearly not

The hospital admissions figure doesn't seem to change
Read this response on Twitter a lot. Followed by many writing dont need to follow the rules. I do my own risk assessment it tells me to be very careful. Winter is around the corner and the virus is growing momentum. We had no idea how many had the virus within the population in the first wave.

Read this response on Twitter a lot. Followed by many writing dont need to follow the rules. I do my own risk assessment it tells me to be very careful. Winter is around the corner and the virus is growing momentum. We had no idea how many had the virus within the population in the first wave.

sorry - no I meant the figure displayed on the dashboard, we were just discussing the strange behaviour of the web site. I totally agree with you.

Thankfully, deaths haven't followed the trajectory of COVID-19 cases in the UK, but as the economy is being opened up cases have increased. There's no surprise here.

Give kids a couple of weeks at school to see where the curve is going next. If I were a betting man, I would say the curve is not being flattened.

QVQcaSg.png

Honestly, do your best to protect vulnerable populations in the UK. We know exactly how this played out just a few months ago.

Joe

Indeed......without a vaccine, Covid will spread; we need to protect the vulnerable (ie old) until a vaccine arrives. I'm 66 and my sister 68, and I have only been to four different buildings including my house since March the something or other. When I go to the other three (big Tesco,small Sainsbury and Boots pharmacy) I follow all procedures. This is all getting more difficult ie boring, but there's two of us in a three bed house with a decent garden - it could be a whole lot worse.

Unless we revert to regional lock downs and an emphasis on home working before a vaccine is available then we're in for a really challenging autumn and winter period, quite disturbing.... Buenos Nochas, Mein Froinds!

Nine days ago 31,000 met in Trafalgar Square, in the capital city with their masks off engaging in behaviours that are advantageous to the wide & rapid spread of a virus in a pandemic. And doing it wilfully. Before the various media outlets and spokespeople start pointing the finger at ‘those partying kids’ or ‘those forgetful & hard to control schoolchildren’ let’s remember that this sort of activity has been going on among people that should know better & fully cognisant of endangering other ppl ‘because it’s their liberty’ to endanger the health of others. It all smacks of a nihilistic/hedonistic ‘cult of death’ type thing that has popped up in past plagues.

Children and students being told it’s safe to return to schools & university and going on holidays are not the only spearhead here.

Last edited:
I'm in the vulnerable group, and have been shielding since long before we were told to. I'm annoyed by those who are ignoring the advice.
But I know that there will eventually come a time when I say to hell with living this way, I want to see my friends in the pubs and the restaurants, I want to fly to Italy and Greece, and if I die from Covid19, so be it.
So I try to control my irritation at those, young and old, who've already reached that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back