advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain IX

Status
Not open for further replies.
shouting is a great way of spreading the virus, and people's voices get louder as they get drunker. In most pubs I've been in, you have to shout to make yourself heard any

landlady of our local kicked out a group of 4 lads who were persistently shouting yesterday.

landlady of our local kicked out a group of 4 lads who were persistently shouting yesterday.

A bloke I used to work with, who retired a year or two before me, regularly goes drinking with a bunch of similarly-aged friends on the South Coast. They were getting a bit rowdy at one pub in Ramsgate (just talking loudly and swearing), and after some complaints from 'regulars', the landlord threw them out. He obviously also rang around other pubs in the area, because when they went into another pub just down the road, the landlord laughed and said 'I've been warned about you lot. To be honest, I was expecting you to be about fifty years younger. Keep the noise down though.'

Manchester coronavirus outbreak 'a warning to complacent white middle class'

"...in Trafford, one of the wealthiest and whitest of Greater Manchester’s 10 boroughs, the vast majority of infections in the last week were in the white community. Just 14.5% of Trafford residents are black or ethnic minority, according to the last census.

Eighty-one people tested positive in Trafford in the last week of July – the third biggest number in Greater Manchester, after Manchester (178) and Oldham (130)."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...s-80-new-cases-trafford-among-white-community

Yesterday I popped into a Sainsbury's in Chelsea. There were five blokes shopping and not wearing masks, despite the sign at the door. At M&S this morning a woman wasn't wearing one.

I don't want to get Covid-19 from an idiot like this when I'm buying my cereals. So I said to the lady that M&S have said she should wear a mask when she shops.

"Oh yes. Mmm," she muttered as she browsed the bottles of wine. The woman didn't give a monkey's.

Shops shouldn't allow customers in who aren't wearing masks, full stop. They definitely shouldn't be allowed to buy anything. If necessary they could post a security guard at the door.

It will get heavier as more people in the UK are struck down and die from Covid-19, which I think will happen.

In America there are serious fights kicking off in shopping malls between the security and people who refuse to wear masks, because they think it infringes their constitutional rights.

Jack

I totally get why shops don't challenge customers. I spent long enough working in Wood Green Sainsburys to know what a pain a small minority of the public can be - the staff don't deserve the additional agro. Certainly not for £8/hour.

It annoys me when I see people refusing to wear a mask. Some of them may have genuine reasons - who knows.

The fact that MOST people are wearing masks in shops is great though. It doesn't need 100% compliance for it to still be effective at reducing transmission.

Up here in Cumbria we seem to have near 100% compliance. Today I saw my first person shopping without a mask. Odd cos I recognised him as a Personal Trainer at the local gym. Didn't ask why but am so curious I will have to do so if I see him again.

Popped out earlier to get some petrol for the mower and gas for the BBQ. Not a single soul wearing a mask and no distancing whatsoever. Getting very busy with tourists from outside the area. This is in Wales where the bureaucrats take a different tack in an attempt to justify their existence. Definitely safer in France I think.

Yes the government appears to give all the contracts to their mates or party donors rather than picking the best company with experience in the field , just look at track and trace which is still poor now . Again there was plenty of advice on who should get the contracts but always ignored !
No doubt some directors are buying themselves a place in the House of Lords

A music writer posted the message below on FB. He said he'd copied it and urged others to do the same. Makes sense to me.

Jack

When I wear a mask in public, or decline an invitation to a party or to come inside, I want you to know that:

* I am educated enough to know that I could be asymptomatic and still give you the virus.
* No, I don’t “live in fear” of the virus; I just want to be part of the solution, not the problem.
* I don’t feel like the “government is controlling me;” I feel like I’m contributing to society and I want to teach others the same.
* The world doesn’t revolve around me. It’s not all about me and my comfort.
* If we all could live with other people's consideration in mind, this whole world would be a much better place.
* Wearing a mask doesn’t make me weak, scared, stupid, or even “controlled.” It makes me considerate.

When you think about how you look, how uncomfortable it is, or what others think of you, just imagine someone close to you - a child, a father, a mother, grandparent, aunt, or uncle - choking on a respirator, alone without you or any family member allowed at bedside.
Ask yourself if you could have sucked it up.
Was it worth the risk?
Wearing a mask is not political. It’s a public health choice!
Copy and re-post. I did!

Valid point but there can be serious repercussions to confronting these sort of guys. The UK has an undercurrent of violence never far from the surface.

One bloke knew I wasn't too happy and kept his distance. I took my shopping to the manned till rather than stand next to him at a self-service one.

Two guys were younger than me and I knew it would end in tears - very probably mine - if I criticized their lack of masks.

Selfridges stop maskless people coming in, so I am quite sure it can be done in supermarkets.

paulfromcamden has said if the majority wear masks then that's most of the job done. I kind of agree, but dislike people who deliberately take the piss and endanger others.

The truth is I am powerless over other shoppers and have no official role. I can only chill out and look after myself.

As infections and deaths spike, which I reckon they will, the issue will become increasingly important. In America it's leading to serious fights.

Jack

Last edited:
Had my first social occasion since February on Saturday, visiting friends reasonably distanced in their garden. Unfortunately they live the other side of town, which entailed an hour and a half and four trains. The journey beat expectations, it wasn’t very busy, easy to avoid being near people and maybe 90% wearing masks.

Changing at Green Park we encountered a woman on the escalator with two small children, screaming repeatedly ‘Take off your ****ing masks, you’re scaring my kids, it’s not about health it’s about control. Take off the ****ing masks.’ Now, people having some sort of public mental health episode are part of the urban landscape, so in itself it wasn’t that out of the ordinary. But the entire spectacle of all the people in the masks on the moving escalator studiedly ignoring this woman and her kids, who were probably much more scared by their mother screaming at strangers than anyone wearing a mask, was like a scene from a dystopian film. It was really unsettling.

Still slightly spooked, a few minutes later we walked by a dozen strong group of bible bashers outside Brixton rail station, stridently offering leaflets and belting out a song. All of a sudden another routine urban spectacle took on a disturbing feel.

I guess this is normality now. It’s going to take some getting used to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back