advertisement

Christmas Wine

Status
Not open for further replies.
It isn’t a review site, it’s a cellar management utility with reviews attached. Which I read purely for amusement, as stated above. I subscribe to CT because there is no way I could keep track of what wine I have otherwise.

I only keep around 130 bottles. 90 of the better ones are in fridges and are logged, noting when to drink by. The rest are racked and drink now jobs.

Perhaps if, like you had a full celler, then maybe I would use CT, but only for the keepers.

PS: A quick count and I have under estimated, more like 200 bottles at the moment.

It would be nice if this (or another) thread could also include a bit of help for the sub £12 ish wine fans. Which it did once.

I drink a fair bit in your price range, I do actually prefer some younger wines. There is often recommendations on here for this price range to be fair, you have to search them out.

A810-FC51-6-D4-E-4-FF4-ABBB-D5-AC3017-E3-D2.jpg

That’s a remarkable construction - do you remember how long it took? I hate to think how much it would cost in a posh deli!

My wine is Le Volte 2016. I have no idea what Round Pond is, and I can’t even think what ST might be! I don’t care about the comments in the slightest - they are just a source of cheap amusement. Here’s another one, about 2017 Beaucastel. Yes, 2017 Beaucastel.
‘Drank side by side with the ‘16. This is the clear winner right now. Great nose, fruit, finish... all in balance. Drink up, not going to get better than this.’
I never read Trip Advisor. I’m convinced 90% of the reviews come from friends or rivals of the concern involved.

Strange to even try to compare Volte with a California Cabernet.
And Beaucastel 2017 is not ready to drink at all let alone 'drink up'. He lives in USA and has written 350 reviews ! The good news is he only has 180 bottles left. The bad news he has several bottles of Beaucastel from different years back to 2007 but likes 'young, fruity' wine.
I use Tripadvisor (well I did) but only pay attention to about half the comments. In fact looking at a restaurant wine list usually tells me more !

Last edited:
That’s a remarkable construction - do you remember how long it took? I hate to think how much it would cost in a posh deli!
Skinning and boning the turkey was around 25mins (I'm not that skilled at it), hacking up the meat was a further 10. Marinading was 24hrs (in vacuum bags). Forcemeat was done separately, so all I had to do was defrost. Re-assembly was about 40mins, as I tried to have brown meat around the outside, white meat in the middle, and a good spread of the forcemeat. If I was doing it in a deli, I would probably have used more forcemeat, and aimed for good, neat visual appearance of the cross section for serving. As it was, I was focusing on getting it all back in there and making sure that slices had a good mixture of everything. Cooking was around 2.5hrs at I80C, basting every half hour with a stock made from the carcass and any left over bits. Rest for about 30-45mins after cooking, then slice.

Surprised to see the advice on the Sainsbury's website: 'Once open consume within 3-4 days'.
I wonder how many people treat port more like a bottle of spirits and have it hanging around for much longer.
IIRC bottles used to empty fast in a social setting so I never thought about port storage. Hardly drink port these days.

Tesco vintage Port is Symington 2007. at £20.
All this talk of sweet wine I decided to send Mortimer down to the cellars
incroyable he came back with a 1999 ch.Guiraud and a 1994 ch.Coutet.(halves)

The twin fangs of Brexit and Covid are making the window for a final tax-free chevauchée very small indeed, although it looks like the governments on both sides of the channel will be bowing to commercial and sentimental pressure to relax travel restrictions for a week or so before C*******s.

Sadly my email inbox is currently full of special offers from French merchants that will probably have expired in four weeks’ time. Here’s one I really hope I don’t miss - check out Bertrand’s price for the Brun Le Ronsay Beaujolais mentioned above! He has the Brun Brouilly at a cracking price as well. Click and collect from Lille should be simple enough - then a quick foray across the border into Belgium to enable me to spend C*******s with my loved ones (a crate or two of Rochefort.)

Last edited:
^ my understanding is that you will still be able to bring 48 bottles in tax free next year. If that is correct wouldn't it be better just to wait for the vaccine ?

^ my understanding is that you will still be able to bring 48 bottles in tax free next year. If that is correct wouldn't it be better just to wait for the vaccine ?
Well, keeping a sensible distance from other people and wearing a mask in enclosed public places has worked for me so far - coupled of course with everyone else’s natural inclination to give me a very wide berth - so I’m not putting my life on hold waiting for a vaccine now... but I’d appreciate further info about the 48 bottles if you have a link, as that is (welcome) news to me!

www.yourmoney.com/saving-banking/brits-to-benefit-from-duty-free-prices-post-brexit/

'Further, Brits will be able to bring in more duty-free goods upon their return, including:

• 42 litres of beer
  • 18 litres of still wine
  • Four litres of spirits or nine litres of sparkling wine, fortified wine or any alcoholic beverage less than 22% ABV.'
24 bottles of still wine. Plus perhaps the 12 bottles of sparkling wine. So 36 bottles not 48 plus plenty of your beer.
I'm not sure where I originally read it but this link will do. Of course it may change...

Thanks, interesting. Obviously not as good as the current 120 bottles but rather better than the (IIRC) 11 bottles it used to be back in the pre-Customs Union days. And five crates of beer would be more than enough. But like you, I’ll believe it when it happens.

Just snagged this from Bernabei
WELCOME10 £10 off first orders
Free delivery at moment
Dolcetto D'Alba DOC 2019 Prunotto
six £55.10.
I make that £9.18/bott.

Fill your boots with Le Ronsay at that price!

I'm slightly concerned that with your aversion to Pinot Noir you won't love it, but then again I don't know how anyone couldn't. I'm much more concerned about Bertrand's suggestion of Andouillette as a worthy dish to accompany. I think he's talking tripe.

I'm slightly concerned that with your aversion to Pinot Noir you won't love it, but then again I don't know how anyone couldn't. I'm much more concerned about Bertrand's suggestion of Andouillette as a worthy dish to accompany. I think he's talking tripe.
I’m not really averse to PN, more averse to the price of a decent one.

I always thought andouillettes were only there to give your teeth something to do while you enjoyed the mustard sauce. Rather like snails and garlic butter. But they’re the only form of tripe I’m prepared to consider!

I wish I'd never mentioned Beaujolais
the thought of @Marchbanks getting
that for 6.9 euros makes me want to
reach for some Bourgogne Rouge.
Yes, thinking of me usually makes people reach for booze of some kind or another.

I’ve sent Bertrand an email saying I’m up for a dozen Ronsay and six Brouilly at those prices, payment in advance, collection as soon as permitted. Let’s see what he says.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back