advertisement

Christmas Wine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use a 5 point scale that runs from 15 to 20. It could just as easily run from 0 to 5, but you get set in your ways.

It is, as above, elaborated with +/++ or - /--, which I think makes it kind of 20 point score anyway.

I use the plusses and the minuses to indicate respectively gosh/mmmm/but or potential or suspected technical flaws, or maybe a great beginning but a slightly questionable something on the finish, or variations and exceptions to the above. The problem of course is that I can't remember exactly, so I addend the score to a tasting note that I then lose when I fall asleep on the tube on the way home.

You have just made Marchbanks case.
My only problem with the KISS scale is that we now have 3 grades for wines we don't really like: Jesus Christ, Bof and Bof+; and only 3 grades for wines we do like: Good, Excellent and Oh Man !
Unless Marchy is a tougher marker and, for instance, would give Coudoulet 2016 a Bof+ instead of the Good I would give ?

I use a 5 point scale that runs from 15 to 20. It could just as easily run from 0 to 5, but you get set in your ways.
It is, as above, elaborated with +/++ or - /--, which I think makes it kind of 20 point score anyway.
I use the plusses and the minuses to indicate respectively gosh/mmmm/but or potential or suspected technical flaws, or maybe a great beginning but a slightly questionable something on the finish, or variations and exceptions to the above. The problem of course is that I can't remember exactly, so I addend the score to a tasting note that I then lose when I fall asleep on the tube on the way home.

I did use a 5 point system, but as I hold so many different wines, quantity not quality, have now uprated the scoring to buy again and avoid, far simpler

...I’m thinking of simplifying to three levels. ‘Would you buy again? No/maybe/yes.’ Or perhaps even two, as Luc Lapeyre suggested to me - “buvable ou non-buvable?”

I did use a 5 point system, but as I hold so many different wines, quantity not quality, have now uprated the scoring to buy again and avoid, far simpler
Looks like you are on the same route as me, but further down the track.

I use the plusses and the minuses to indicate respectively gosh/mmmm/but or potential or suspected technical flaws, or maybe a great beginning but a slightly questionable something on the finish, or variations and exceptions to the above.

I think notes taken by a professional during tastings are a bit different, for obvious reasons. It’s a little different once you already own the wine - TBH I never make any notes/scores for my own use as I don’t see the purpose - you’ve already bought it so it’s a bit late, and you can leave any decisions about buying more until you are on the last bottle if you can’t trust your memory to remember past experiences.

Unless Marchy is a tougher marker and, for instance, would give Coudoulet 2016 a Bof+ instead of the Good I would give ?
I think Bof+ would have been about right at c.£17... if it had been a £6 Guigal CdR it probably would have rated as excellent. But I’m hoping for improvement with age. (The wine, I mean. I’m well beyond that stage.)

Last edited:
After all those vapid classifications I've thought of a new one
Oh f*k this is the bomb.

b33459a2-23d5-4215-8a6e-6ccf73cd6d15.jpg

I had 2017.Stunning.

Burgaud is good too, quite structured to the point, I have sometimes found, of hardness. I personally veer towards Sunier, who is a bit of a genius.

Burgaud is good too, quite structured to the point, I have sometimes found, of hardness. I personally veer towards Sunier, who is a bit of a genius.
My memories of it are a bit hazy, but you're right, structured is a good way of describing it. Not a light, fruity, charming Beaujolais.

25% off all fayne wayne at Majestic in sixes. Plus an extra 10% for L&W subscribers, ha ha. Seemed silly not to pick up a few bottles of Au Bon Climat Isabelle for £37! Especially as I can probably sell the several tons of glass that the wine comes in at a profit afterwards.

Last edited:
Calling NZ Pinot Noir lovers - I’m tempted by the Dog Point 2016 on offer at Majestic and have also found an interesting price for Greywacke 2014. Do either, neither or both float your boat(s)?

Calling NZ Pinot Noir lovers - I’m tempted by the Dog Point 2016 on offer at Majestic and have also found an interesting price for Greywacke 2014. Do either, neither or both float your boat(s)?

Haven't had either but my daughter, the world's leading Sauvignon Blanc expert, rates their SB as favourites so their PN should be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back