advertisement

Christmas Wine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found this critical CT review of a wine I have in the cellar very annoying, and I really must take issue with it...

‘Drank alongside the Round Pond ST. Wasn't a fair fight- the RP kicked it's ass’

It’s ‘kicked its ass’, for God’s sake!

Last edited:
^ CT is very American !
Round Pond sounds a bit dodgy: there is a very good chance your wine is better. Btw what is your wine ? :)
ps why do you care about every comment on CT ? They range from knowledgeable to nonsense. Similar to Tripadvisor.

^ CT is very American !
Round Pond sounds a bit dodgy: there is a very good chance your wine is better. Btw what is your wine ? :)
ps why do you care about every comment on CT ? They range from knowledgeable to nonsense. Similar to Tripadvisor.
My wine is Le Volte 2016. I have no idea what Round Pond is, and I can’t even think what ST might be! I don’t care about the comments in the slightest - they are just a source of cheap amusement. Here’s another one, about 2017 Beaucastel. Yes, 2017 Beaucastel.

‘Drank side by side with the ‘16. This is the clear winner right now. Great nose, fruit, finish... all in balance. Drink up, not going to get better than this.’

I never read Trip Advisor. I’m convinced 90% of the reviews come from friends or rivals of the concern involved.

Oh no I'm not leaving it to chance I want something
light and zappy for Xmas day like this
https://www.noblegrape.co.uk/jean-paul-brun-2019-beaujolais-le-ronsay/
Mmmm, here’s l’Ancien at under a tenner a bottle with free delivery inside France. At some point soon I am going to have to take a gamble that the travel ban will end pre-duty re-imposition.

https://www.lesvinsdecarole.com/vin/2151-beaujolais-l-ancien-rouge-2018-domaine-jean-paul-brun.html

Why bother to subscribe to CT, always thought review sites pointless. Like music suck it and see for yourself
It isn’t a review site, it’s a cellar management utility with reviews attached. Which I read purely for amusement, as stated above. I subscribe to CT because there is no way I could keep track of what wine I have otherwise.

Mmmm, here’s l’Ancien at under a tenner a bottle with free delivery inside France. At some point soon I am going to have to take a gamble that the travel ban will end pre-duty re-imposition.

https://www.lesvinsdecarole.com/vin/2151-beaujolais-l-ancien-rouge-2018-domaine-jean-paul-brun.html

It isn’t a review site, it’s a cellar management utility with reviews attached. Which I read purely for amusement, as stated above. I subscribe to CT because there is no way I could keep track of what wine I have otherwise.
How does l'Ancien compare with Le Ronsay?

...taking away the taste of Turkey, which I also don't much rate..

Thing is.. Mrs Mull insists on bloody Turkey for Christmas Day.

I don’t rate turkey either, and Mrs3 insists on it every other year. My current approach is to skin and bone the bird, chop the meat into strips and marinade thoroughly in garlic and fennel. The meat is then reassembled, using forcemeat stuffing as cement between the chunks, and wrapped in the skin (stitched to keep everything in place). This makes for a very solid “sausage” which gets wrapped in muslin to shape it. Then roast, basting every half hour with stock made from the bones, carcass, giblets, etc. The joy of it is that it doesn’t really taste of turkey, and with no bones, is easy to carve and serve. The garlic and fennel pave the way for a robustly flavoured wine.

It’s a fair bit of effort, but for a decent result. Leftover slices can be reheated, with a side of bubble and squeak, for any meal in the days after Christmas. If more food than one turkey can provide is needed, I’ve managed to make a single “sausage” from two turkeys, a goose, and a duck; served 22.

[QUOTE="Marchbanks, post: 4173808, member: 31453"
It isn’t a review site, it’s a cellar management utility with reviews attached. Which I read purely for amusement, as stated above. I subscribe to CT because there is no way I could keep track of what wine I have otherwise.[/QUOTE]

Surely there are other options for cellar management, I have looked at food pairings also and some are really strange to me

@Weekender this one was a single turkey:
A810-FC51-6-D4-E-4-FF4-ABBB-D5-AC3017-E3-D2.jpg

From memory about 3.5kg, close to 40cm in length.

I think the thread needs a name change to enjoying wine with meat, that is what I am not interested in, will peruse interests elsewhere

Surely there are other options for cellar management, I have looked at food pairings also and some are really strange to me
But why would I bother with others, when CT works brilliantly for me? It's you that has issues with it, not me. I really don't care about its wine reviews (except to search out the daft ones for fun) or food pairings (I didn't even know they existed), it is 100% as a wine cellar database manager that I pay for it. Beyond that, as you said above, make your own choices about what to eat or drink rather than rely on others'.

It would be nice if this (or another) thread could also include a bit of help for the sub £12 ish wine fans. Which it did once.

For me Port is the wine for Christmas
Agreed.

I am going to crack open the first bottle in my case of Croft vintage Port 2003, that I bought en primeur many years ago. It is the first 'foot trodden' Croft vintage port since 1963. I do hope they washed their feet, first.

Although I am a regular at LIDL, I generally find better wines at ALDI. However, this year, ALDI has done a runner and stopped stocking the wonderful Maynard's (unfiltered) Ruby and the superb 10 year old Maynard's Tawny. I don't have time for their Fletcher's- so I bit the bullet and ran back to LIDL for their stock Amilar Porto, which was too sweet- as are many of Port portuguese house's Ruby products. However, they now stock an improved version of this C. da Silva wine. An old house, new bottle, new less sweet taste. My first sip led me to believe this could be labelled as a 'special reserve' without fear of infringing libel law. For £6, it is as good as so many reserves and special reserves.

Last edited:
It would be nice if this (or another) thread could also include a bit of help for the sub £12 ish wine fans. Which it did once.

Most of the links I've posted are for wines under £12.
This is surely a bargain at £7.99
https://www.majestic.co.uk/wines/cotes-du-rhone-belleruche-6533
There's been lots of posts for 25% discounts.

I find it interesting to read what other people
are drinking it opens up new wine choices for me.If someone posts a wine at say £25
then I will look at that producer and see
what they do in my price range.
Variety etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back