advertisement

Christmas Wine II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes of course. Lucky you ! What vintage ?
Better idea: invite a pretentious French acquaintance for dinner and ask them what they think of the Puligny ? Then watch their face after you show them the bottle.

I like your suggestion, but that requires inviting them home. I’d rather not.

Any thoughts on "white wine glasses".
I'm thinking this
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B014F77R4K/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21
61bt-FYwpjL._AC_SY679_.jpg

Just doing my bit to keep the content trivial we don't want reality to intrude.
Or as Gal said to Aitch in Sexy Beast "leave it outside".

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
50882492306_be0e7530f7_c.jpg

This was a try-before-you-buy... a sampler before committing to six bottles of the 2019 EP. And it is really, really good. Definitely Syrah, but light, strawberryish fruit and a little chuckle on the way down ©️ Jeb Dunnuck. A solid 4 on the Marchbanks scale.

So here’s the dilemma. Should I go for six of the 2019 EP for £72 (=£17.07 per bottle in real world terms) or buy six of these 2016 on offer at Corney and Barrow for £15.82? (OK, I need to buy seven for free delivery, but you get my drift.) I always think that the two reasons for buying EP are (1) the wine probably won’t be available when it’s ready to drink and (2) if it is, it will be a lot more expensive. Neither would seem to apply here, so I think I’ll buy the 2016 now rather than stumping up my hard-earned for the 2019 and tapping my fingers impatiently on the table for fifteen months. Sorry, Wine Soc.

Very good. Better when it’s had a chance to breathe IMO, a good long time (an hour say)

Anyone any experience of bespoke wall mounted wine racks? I’ve got an alcove which is crying out for one. About 200cm by 70cm, I’ll build a shelf to support it.

Depending on your desired aesthetic, Cranville wine racks might be worth looking into. I have no affiliation to them, but have bought quite a few of the “standard” metal and wood racks from them for the cellar, in a range of dimensions to fit the bins, and they’ve been great to worth with. They have a wall mounted option (see here), but will make to order if you have a specific size to fit.
A possible alternative, given the dimensions, could be a riddling rack. I’ve got half of one that’s about 1.8m tall and 70ish cm wide - might be as much as 80cm. If you’re into DIY you could make one to fit?

Very good. Better when it’s had a chance to breathe IMO, a good long time (an hour say)
Glad and relieved you liked it. I also thought it might benefit from a bit of aeration, although I’m a decanter-sceptic at heart and not sure it makes much difference. My method for youngish wine is to stick it in a decanter, give it a violent shake for ten seconds, let it rest for fifteen minutes, repeat and pour back into the bottle. I hate drinking wine from a decanter. Even via a glass, ha ha.

I used to keep this to myself, but the last time I was in France I bought some wine from a merchant who sold a brew with which several folk I knew of, including our own eternumviti, had encountered secondary fermentation problems in the bottle. I asked him about this, and he agreed. But he said there was a simple fix - shake the bottle vigorously. He gave me a mime in case there was any doubt. Since we were talking about an 19€ bottle, and he calls himself Meilleur Sommelier du Nord, I felt my rough treatment methods were vindicated. Although I didn’t take him up on his offer of selling me a couple.

I decanted a bottle of 2019 Trigone from Le Soula tonight, the organic/biodynamic Mark Walford/Gerard Gauby project in the Roussillon. Very graceful, though tight as a duck's bum, a bit better after the decant, and better still after an hour. Its going to be a beauty in a year or two. Or tomorrow for what is left in the decanter. It worked very well with a slightly spicy venison casserole.

I have heard a few whispers that a mention on Christmas Wine can shift more bottles than a 99 from Robert Parker.

Yes that's right! Especially if just after placing my order with De Burgh, as a new customer they send me an email saying that it's a pity that I haven't shopped with them for a while and could I be enticed back with £20 off my next order!
I've enjoyed all the recommendations I've taken up on PFM, so thank you.

Yes that's right! Especially if just after placing my order with De Burgh, as a new customer they send me an email saying that it's a pity that I haven't shopped with them for a while and could I be enticed back with £20 off my next order!
I've enjoyed all the recommendations I've taken up on PFM, so thank you.

This will surely catch on.
Are the prices they quote are sans Vat ?

My new favourite wine bollocks.

“ ...has a wonderfully pixelated bouquet with pellucid dark cherries, fresh raspberry and minerals. It is not as intense as either the 2009 or 2010, but then again, why should it be. It has the kind of bouquet that creeps up on you. The texture of the tannins scream “Burgundy!” on the entry, but there is a seam of graphite threaded through the dark berry fruit that brings you back to Bordeaux.”

Pixellated bouquet - excellent!!
Pellucid yet also dark - excellent!!
Why should it be? - why indeed?
Screaming tannins - wow!
Seam of graphite - this wine was hewn out underground, perhaps.

No wonder it costs £100/bottle IB.

“ ...has a wonderfully pixelated bouquet with pellucid dark cherries, fresh raspberry and minerals. It is not as intense as either the 2009 or 2010, but then again, why should it be. It has the kind of bouquet that creeps up on you. The texture of the tannins scream “Burgundy!” on the entry, but there is a seam of graphite threaded through the dark berry fruit that brings you back to Bordeaux.”

Screaming tannins - wow!

You've been reading your cellar book again.
You need to get better light down there.

Screaming tannins - wow!

I can't bear the anticipation, what is it?

Any thoughts on "white wine glasses".
I'm thinking this
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B014F77R4K/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21
61bt-FYwpjL._AC_SY679_.jpg

Just doing my bit to keep the content trivial we don't want reality to intrude.
Or as Gal said to Aitch in Sexy Beast "leave it outside".

I compared a good Muscadet in a glass just like that and a conventional reidel shape last week, and the wine was more expressive from yours. Also came from Amazon, might well have been the same one.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back