advertisement

Christmas Wine II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don’t forget Dr. Loosen. I know nothing about the good Doctor’s wine at all other than his name, but that is already way more than good enough.

German Riesling is fine but not as good as the real thing, obvs. I hadn’t mentioned it before as I thought the brief was German-only, but if that isn’t the case I suggest you ask @eternumviti nicely if he’ll let you have some of his Bruno Sorg Grand Cru Pfersigberg.

No I was quite surprised that there was no mention of French Riesling, and for all I know there may be some good new world ones.

What I like German titles is that they can be accumulated, do you can have Dr. Dr. Loosen.

The suggestions so far look good but they're too hard to get. What I really need is a place in the UK where I can place an order for a few bottles of different ones and so sample before buying whole cases.

The suggestions so far look good but they're too hard to get. What I really need is a place in the UK where I can place an order for a few bottles of different ones and so sample before buying whole cases.
Try putting one of your choices into Wine Searcher, follow the link to the shop and see if they have anything else you want to try.

50882492306_be0e7530f7_c.jpg

This was a try-before-you-buy... a sampler before committing to six bottles of the 2019 EP. And it is really, really good. Definitely Syrah, but light, strawberryish fruit and a little chuckle on the way down ©️ Jeb Dunnuck. A solid 4 on the Marchbanks scale.

So here’s the dilemma. Should I go for six of the 2019 EP for £72 (=£17.07 per bottle in real world terms) or buy six of these 2016 on offer at Corney and Barrow for £15.82? (OK, I need to buy seven for free delivery, but you get my drift.) I always think that the two reasons for buying EP are (1) the wine probably won’t be available when it’s ready to drink and (2) if it is, it will be a lot more expensive. Neither would seem to apply here, so I think I’ll buy the 2016 now rather than stumping up my hard-earned for the 2019 and tapping my fingers impatiently on the table for fifteen months. Sorry, Wine Soc.

Last edited:

This was a try-before-you-buy... a sampler before committing to six bottles of the 2019 EP. And it is really, really good. Definitely Syrah, but light, strawberryish fruit and a little chuckle on the way down ©️ Jeb Dunnuck. A solid 4 on the Marchbanks scale.

So here’s the dilemma. Should I go for six of the 2019 EP for £72 (=£17.07 per bottle in real world terms) or buy six of these 2016 on offer at Corney and Barrow for £15.82? (OK, I need to buy seven for free delivery, but you get my drift.) I always think that the two reasons for buying EP are (1) the wine probably won’t be available when it’s ready to drink and (2) when it is, it will be a lot more expensive. Neither would seem to apply here, so I think I’ll buy the 2016 now rather than stumping up my hard-earned for the 2019 and tapping my fingers impatiently on the table for fifteen months. Sorry, Wine Soc.

Whats the dilemma?Won't you have your cake and eat it?

Whats the dilemma?Won't you have your cake and eat it?
As the National Trust have closed the Marchbanks Towers Experience for the time being (and they were threatening to investigate reports of the chap taking the entrance money seemingly sticking it under his trilby rather than in the till) cash is tight. So it seems to make more sense to concentrate on stuff from the EP list that is hard to find or tends to go up in price on release. I’d say the other wines I mentioned above fall into those categories.

The other problem, of course, is trying to second-guess the UK’s situation over the next couple of years. We’re seeing shortages of EU produce already on supermarket shelves - is the supply of wine going to diminish? This could mean increased prices. Is the economic situation going to worsen? Decreased demand could mean reduced prices.

Tl;dr - who knows, maybe it’s best to just buy the stuff EP and be done with it.

As the National Trust have closed the Marchbanks Towers Experience for the time being (and they were threatening to investigate reports of the chap taking the entrance money seemingly sticking it under his trilby rather than in the till) cash is tight. So it seems to make more sense to concentrate on stuff from the EP list that is hard to find or tends to go up in price on release. I’d say the other wines I mentioned above fall into those categories.

The other problem, of course, is trying to second-guess the UK’s situation over the next couple of years. We’re seeing shortages of EU produce already on supermarket shelves - is the supply of wine going to diminish? This could mean increased prices. Is the economic situation going to worsen? Decreased demand could mean reduced prices.

Tl;dr - who knows, maybe it’s best to just buy the stuff EP and be done with it.

Surely the vassals must be due a rent review.

Just not feeling the urge to stock up on anything in particular right now.
Reserves are high enough but not too high to preclude opportunistic purchases in near future.
I like looking around wine shops and even wine lists: sad I know.
Been reading about the small producer wines of northern Italy and would like to try a few: not so easy to get though.
A friend who lives near Bergerac is buying very small SW France producers: almost unknown grape varieties and enjoying them immensely.
MB was smart enough to buy from the small producers decades ago.

Just not feeling the urge to stock up on anything in particular right now.
Reserves are high enough but not too high to preclude opportunistic purchases in near future.
I like looking around wine shops and even wine lists: sad I know.
Been reading about the small producer wines of northern Italy and would like to try a few: not so easy to get though.
A friend who lives near Bergerac is buying very small SW France producers: almost unknown grape varieties and enjoying them immensely.
MB was smart enough to buy from the small producers decades ago.
I'm a relative novice and newcomer to all this but for what it's worth have enjoyed my purchases so far from here:

https://www.de-burgh.com/Pre-Brexit-Prices-Post-Brexit-c77415072.

I was drawn to them first of all by the good price on le ronsay, much admired around these parts.

Following up on the topic of German wines: I buy some South African wines from a dealer in Germany. I was introduced to them by a winemaker in Cape Town when I enquired about buying a couple of dozen bottles to bring home. He arranged for their cellar door prices to be honoured by the dealer (who also threw in free shipping) and I've been in touch with them ever since - about 7 years now. Anyway, I received an email from them yesterday as they have started to do tastings via Zoom, and one that will be conducted in a couple of weeks is a "Wine Tour of Germany" - it will be in English, and I currently have no further info other than the date (Feb 13th, 1500-1630 CET). There should still be time to have the wines delivered. I can't join, but if anyone is interested, please send me a message and I can pass along their details for you to sign up. I have no affiliation to the company other than what I've written above, and buying some bottles from them every year.

480699011_0_640x640.jpg

Good solid Italian red, with much more well made 3-D complexity than you'd expect given the price tag (well under £10) at Morrisons. If you got it in your local unpretentious Italian restaurant (remember those?), then you'd be well happy.

So here’s the dilemma. Should I go for six of the 2019 EP for £72 (=£17.07 per bottle in real world terms) or buy six of these 2016 on offer at Corney and Barrow for £15.82? (OK, I need to buy seven for free delivery, but you get my drift.) I always think that the two reasons for buying EP are (1) the wine probably won’t be available when it’s ready to drink and (2) if it is, it will be a lot more expensive. Neither would seem to apply here, so I think I’ll buy the 2016 now rather than stumping up my hard-earned for the 2019 and tapping my fingers impatiently on the table for fifteen months. Sorry, Wine Soc.

I've decided to follow your lead in this, thanks.

I've decided to follow your lead in this, thanks.
Oh blimey, that’s always nerve-wracking... I’m off for my five-mile sunset stroll now (not that it will be visible tonight) and I’ll make my mind up whether to buy more or not en route. Perhaps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back