advertisement

Christmas Wine II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh blimey, that’s always nerve-wracking... I’m off for my five-mile sunset stroll now (not that it will be visible tonight) and I’ll make my mind up whether to buy more or not en route. Perhaps.

No, honestly I’m very pleased with your Rhône recommendations. And if I don’t like it it’ll be used for the daube. (Putain, ça serait pas mal de daube!)

No, honestly I’m very pleased with your Rhône recommendations. And if I don’t like it it’ll be used for the daube. (Putain, ça serait pas mal de daube!)
Don’t do that! If you don’t like it I’ll part-ex it for some 3€ Costières-de-Nîmes far better suited to the daube, yet perfectly adequate to drink with your BBQ wings, spicy pizza, chilli etc. I don’t think there will be a problem, though.

More evidence that buying EP might be best limited to those wines that tend to be tricky to find or vastly more expensive when released - 2018 Coudoulet at £16.10 duty-paid, undercutting their own IB (and the Wine Socs EP) prices by a few quid a case. A small saving, and they didn’t have your money for a year. As I didn’t buy any 2018 Southern Rhônes EP I feel vindicated - I’ve gone for this though.

More evidence that buying EP might be best limited to those wines that tend to be tricky to find or vastly more expensive when released - 2018 Coudoulet at £16.10 duty-paid, undercutting their own IB (and the Wine Socs EP) prices by a few quid a case. A small saving, and they didn’t have your money for a year. As I didn’t buy any 2018 Southern Rhônes EP I feel vindicated - I’ve gone for this though.

Thanks for the Coudoulet heads up. Sigh, I've also just bought a case of this as well!!!....
btw an associate used to have a job to die for with Jeroboams!

Your leading a merry tribe to the trough.
For yourself it seems the time spent in lucubration is paying off.
My own sleuthing has lead me to the to the wondrously named Pinot Vigilante
it won't appeal here though it's too infra dig.

Your leading a merry tribe to the trough.
For yourself it seems the time spent in lucubration is paying off.
My own sleuthing has lead me to the to the wondrously named Pinot Vigilante
it won't appeal here though it's too infra dig.
Lucubration and indeed lubrication. I’ve heard of Pinot Vigilante - wasn’t he in The Hives? Or was that Pinot Palladino?

Having looked Pinot’s wine up, I can say I paid less for tonight’s bottle of Mader Riesling - so we can rejoice in our slumming together.

How’s the witness protection scheme shaping up?

Last edited:
How’s the witness protection scheme shaping up?

Identity complete ,however spotted a strange car outside.
Looking for a recommendation from wine society now they've got £20 ducats
of my money.I must get that Kumeu the village is £10,50 the Auckland is £19
suppose I could get three of each or is it worth the extra or something else.
As you rightly keep telling us comparisons are odourous.

Identity complete ,however spotted a strange car outside.
Looking for a recommendation from wine society now they've got £20 ducats
of my money.I must get that Kumeu the village is £10,50 the Auckland is £19
suppose I could get three of each or is it worth the extra or something else.
As you rightly keep telling us comparisons are odourous.
That’s good. Take care, some of these Glaswegians can be unforgiving and resourceful.

I don’t actually remember saying that, but I should warn you that if I did it’s most likely very, very wrong.

wacko is probably your man for Kumeu advice. I’d imagine he’ll spot this before long.

That’s good. Take care, some of these Glaswegians can be unforgiving and resourceful.
I don’t actually remember saying that, but I should warn you that if I did it’s most likely very, very wrong.
wacko is probably your man for Kumeu advice. I’d imagine he’ll spot this before long.

£ for € Kumeu River is better than any chardonnay in the world. That was a full stop.

What about the various versions, ie Estate vs Auckland as mentioned above? Where does the best Bf$ lie?

There is nothing called 'Auckland' AFAIK.
As a rule I don't like "this is our best, second best, third best etc" from any producer but Kumeu have nailed it and are fairly priced. Buy whichever price level suits your pocket and relax in the knowledge you have good value chardonnay.
I knew you would wheedle this out of me before I could buy more. With any luck the 'price moving PFM massive' will ignore.

There is nothing called 'Auckland' AFAIK.
It may be Estate, and it is just the way the Wine Soc name it. It’s the only one they put the word ‘Auckland’ in.
https://www.thewinesociety.com/shop/ProductDetail.aspx?pd=NZ12161

I knew you would wheedle this out of me before I could buy more. With any luck the 'price moving PFM massive' will ignore.

I have heard a few whispers that a mention on Christmas Wine can shift more bottles than a 99 from Robert Parker.

@wacko have you tried the Hunting Hill? Was gifted a bottle earlier in the week, and was wondering whether to let it sit until the warmer weather returns in a few months, or go for it now.

OK I've opened the WS link.
All their wine is from vineyards surprisingly close to Auckland. Except the new one: Rays Road which is in Hawke's Bay. My father's name was Ray so I'm biased to like that. But seriously buy any or all if you like chardonnay.

@wacko have you tried the Hunting Hill? Was gifted a bottle earlier in the week, and was wondering whether to let it sit until the warmer weather returns in a few months, or go for it now.

Yes of course. Lucky you ! What vintage ?
Better idea: invite a pretentious French acquaintance for dinner and ask them what they think of the Puligny ? Then watch their face after you show them the bottle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back