advertisement

Christmas Wine II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't know you'd been ill until just now -- I never even considered for a minute clicking on a thread called Hernia until I saw the post above, and then saw from your profile that you'd been busy there.

Anyway, guéris vite! I've just found the perfect Christmas present for you. It is on its way. I owe you big time for all the wine recs.
Well, thank you! To say I have been ill is a serious exaggeration though - I lived with it for four or five years, it never troubled me and I never mentioned it to anyone, then my GP saw it last summer and suggested I should get rid of it. So here I am!

52565704006_a4b95ec49f_z.jpg

The fizz was followed by Champ 2015 from Domaine Jorel. Manuel is a lovely fellow who makes wine in tiny quantities from carefully-tended vines. I used to meet him at the Lille wine fair, but sadly he has stopped attending. I ordered this from him online and the package was sent by courier from his local Carrefour, which sums up the size of his operation.

This is a Côtes de Roussillon, 80% mourvèdre and 20% morrastel, which apparently is the same as graciano. It has a lightness and freshness that belies its deep red colour. All a bit academic as the chances of finding a bottle for sale in the UK are approximately nil. A nice way to start the Boozefest, nonetheless.

I've been drinking cheap and cheerful tempranillo - Ermita crianza, abour £13 a bottle I think. I love it, because it's light, it slips down and above all, there isn't much oak.

Suggestions for other NON OAKY tempranillo based wines appreciated.

I opened a bottle of CNVE Imperial reserva 2017 last night, absolutely amazing wine, Spain in a bottle, loved it, it does need a few hours to open up though, it started smelling very vanilla and not much else on opening by about four hours the vanilla smell had disappeared and the wine just appeared, it was beautiful and reminded me of my very first glass of vino tinto back in Callela in 1977 which was my first time in Spain.

Majestic don’t have any stock now, think they have the 2018 though, I paid £20 a bottle earlier on this year.

I have one bottle left and two Todonia 2008 reservas looking forward to trying those at Christmas.

I opened a bottle of CNVE Imperial reserva 2017 last night, absolutely amazing wine, Spain in a bottle, loved it, it does need a few hours to open up though, it started smelling very vanilla and not much else on opening by about four hours the vanilla smell had disappeared and the wine just appeared, it was beautiful and reminded me of my very first glass of vino tinto back in Callela in 1977 which was my first time in Spain.

Majestic don’t have any stock now, think they have the 2018 though, I paid £20 a bottle earlier on this year.

I have one bottle left and two Todonia 2008 reservas looking forward to trying those at Christmas.

I'm still in shock at them bumping the Lapostolle cuveé Chardonnay from £12.99 to £17.99 obviously the first price was an error,damn you only get one
chance.
If you do a local search CVNE is available <£19 at several Glasgow majestic stores .

I'm still in shock at them bumping the Lapostolle cuveé Chardonnay from £12.99 to £17.99 obviously the first price was an error,damn you only get one
chance.
If you do a local search CVNE is available <£19 at several Glasgow majestic stores .

I ordered a load of wine for Christmas from Majestic last night, six bottles of champagne and 12 bottles of wine, all Rioja, some white, some rose and the rest are reds, the Viña Alarde Rioja Gran Reserva 2013 at a tenner a bottle is sensational value for money IMO.

Muga Rioja Rosado 2020/21

Lopez de Haro Rosé 2020/21

Viña Alarde Rioja Reserva 2015/16

Viña Alarde Rioja Gran Reserva 2013

Muga Rioja Blanco 2020/21

López de Haro Rioja Blanco 2020/21

Definition Rioja Reserva 2017/18

The Guv'nor, Spain

Heidsieck & Co. Monopole 'Gold Top' Champagne 2011/12

Nicolas Feuillatte Brut Champagne

I've been drinking cheap and cheerful tempranillo - Ermita crianza, abour £13 a bottle I think. I love it, because it's light, it slips down and above all, there isn't much oak.

Suggestions for other NON OAKY tempranillo based wines appreciated.

CNVE Imperial reserva 2017, no oak however it's stored in oak barrels for two years but there's definitely no oak or vanilla to taste, beautiful wine I think it's 100% Tempranillo.

"CVNE is unquestionably one of Rioja's finest producers. And this is one of the very best Rioja Reservas around. Interestingly, it's named 'Imperial' as it was initially exported to the UK in imperial-sized pint measures. It's made from some of their very best grapes, which are picked by hand, and aged in both French and American oak to create a truly sensuous experience. Expect aromas of vanilla, mulberry and spice, flavours of stewed blackcurrants and a long finish. Decant it for at least an hour before enjoying its fine tannins with lamb. In 2022, this wine won an IWC award for the 2017 vintage"

https://www.majestic.co.uk/wines/rioja-reserva-imperial-14164

Only 2 weeks to go so back to the origin of this thread: what will you be drinking ?
I'm probably having most of a Ch Musar 1998 if I can distract the women with bubbly and Catena Chardonnay Historic Rows or J J Prum. It is also good chance to open a sticky we never seem to get around to.
That should do it.
Still got a couple of Roederer 242,one Bolli,and a Veuve.Gave a Lanson to the plumber for fixing a burst pipe yesterday.
For Crimbo managed to snag a Musar 2002 so either that or that Beaucastel.oh and that Condrieu.

A very nice man in a smart brown van has delivered some festive cheer. BBR own label Pomerol, Saint Estephe, Margaux, Bourgogne Pinot Noir, Sancerre, White Burgundy amongst others. Their GOC / Extra Ordinary Claret should keep the masses happy. I don’t really drink it but the better half has a selection of Bolli, Taittinger and Irroy. Happy wife = happy life.

52569802139_ea6d5f539c_z.jpg

Staying fairly rustic for now, last night saw the start of a bottle of Saint Cosme Vallon des Viollettes 2020. It’s very hard to find out anything about this cuvée. It was on sale only in the French chain of Super U supermarkets, only during the autumn wine fairs and only (as far as I can tell) over a two-year period coinciding with the pandemic, which may be relevant. The blurb on the back of the bottle is coy as to its provenance, stating the wine is made to ‘express the charm and scents of the valley of Saint Cosme’ without going as far as to say that’s where the grapes came from! I rang SC once for some info, only to be told that ‘the man who knew’ was on holiday. What’s more, the description tells us what a fantastic vintage 2019 was. Well, yes, but… perhaps SC decided that it wasn’t worth getting new labels printed for 2020.

No matter. It’s obviously a Syrah-dominated blend, made, I imagine, from grapes that King Louis bought in. Most importantly it’s the best sub-£6 wine I’ve tasted for years, certainly since Guigal CdR was available for that amount. Shame there wasn’t any to be had this year.

Last edited:
CNVE Imperial reserva 2017, no oak however it's stored in oak barrels for two years but there's definitely no oak or vanilla to taste, beautiful wine I think it's 100% Tempranillo.

"CVNE is unquestionably one of Rioja's finest producers. And this is one of the very best Rioja Reservas around. Interestingly, it's named 'Imperial' as it was initially exported to the UK in imperial-sized pint measures. It's made from some of their very best grapes, which are picked by hand, and aged in both French and American oak to create a truly sensuous experience. Expect aromas of vanilla, mulberry and spice, flavours of stewed blackcurrants and a long finish. Decant it for at least an hour before enjoying its fine tannins with lamb. In 2022, this wine won an IWC award for the 2017 vintage"

https://www.majestic.co.uk/wines/rioja-reserva-imperial-14164

Perfect timing, because I wanted to build a case of 6 to order from majestic. I shall order a bottle. Much appreciated.

52573433224_ca065b8dc4_z.jpg

Tesco Finest Oz Semillon. Decent stuff. Not as good as the Waitrose Suduiraut for an ad-hoc glass of sweet wine, there’s slightly off-key bitterness at the end. But at £4.69 for 375ml in their 25% off promo it is half the price, so I couldn’t knock it as self-service accompaniment to some Stilton and Walnut rolls yesterday when my sommelier asked for the afternoon off.

52573433224_ca065b8dc4_z.jpg

Tesco Finest Oz Semillon. Decent stuff. Not as good as the Waitrose Suduiraut for an ad-hoc glass of sweet wine, there’s slightly off-key bitterness at the end. But at £4.69 for 375ml in their 25% off promo it is half the price, so I couldn’t knock it as self-service accompaniment to some Stilton and Walnut rolls yesterday when my sommelier asked for the afternoon off.
Is that a moment of absent mindedness from Gaston watching TV,he wouldn't get off with that in Qatar.

52574249999_db33d2b46b_z.jpg

Deep breath - Weinbach Grand Cru Mambourg Cuvée Laurence Gewürztraminer 2004. I was given six bottles of this a couple of years ago. I don’t know what I’ve ever done to deserve such generous gifts. This is the third bottle I have drunk since then and it is still utterly, utterly wonderful. I can’t believe it is nearly twenty years old. I just want to keep going back and savouring another gloriously rich mouthful. Man, I love Alsatian wine (but you knew that)…

52577523827_2e560414e1_z.jpg

I’m a long-term Champagne sceptic, like all good philistines thinking it over-priced, overrated and best left for Grand Prix drivers and lottery winners. But I picked up a bottle of this Taittinger NV in a recent Tesco deal and I think it’s pretty good. Almost as good as Sorg’s Crémant d’Alsace or Blot’s Triple Zéro Chenin in fact. I might be tempted to get some more if Tesco ever bring it back down to a sensible price.

Lidl's champagne at £14 a bottle is very good BTW.

Asda are selling champagne for £9.99 which is probably as good as a decent cava, think Aldi's champagne is the same price as Lidl's but I prefer the Lidl one.

I used to buy Lanson black label for about £14 a bottle (2002-ish) now it's £35 a bottle and frankly it's not worth that IMO.

having had a bottle of Asda Champagne gifted to us very recently, I can assure you a decent Cava far exceeds the tasting experience of the cheapo champagne
If I’m buying Champagne (which is somewhat infrequent) I see no point in buying cheap stuff. For the same money, Cava or Cremant de Bourgogne is invariably a better experience, nicer, more subtle flavours and overall much better value. Good Champagne can be lovely indeed, and it doesn’t have to be vintage, but for inexpensive fizz, I look elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back