advertisement

Christmas Wine II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crazy low prices. I'd nab half a dozen of the Brune et Blonde and lose it under the stairs for a few years.

Waitrose gets close when the 25% discount is on
£24.62 last June with ‘various discounts’ according to my notes. A voucher handout must have coincided with the 25% deal. Two bottles of 2018 currently lost under the stairs as per instructions. Waitrose have done some serious price-hiking since then, though.

Very interesting. My budget spreadsheet tells me I have so far spent rather less than last year in numerical terms, let alone allowing for inflation, so I might just browse the shelves at one of the "local" Majestics and take some chances.

I noted that from Bodegas Caro there's also a Petit Caro available from Waitrose. I have tried it. Just one bottle chance bought from JL Oxford St. London, so my rating is provisional. It gets a "nice but no complexity" comment in the "cellar book". I don't agree with the Waitrose customers' 5.0 rating. To get anywhere near that score, for me a wine has to have no annoying faults and sufficient character/complexity to be interesting.

Very interesting. My budget spreadsheet tells me I have so far spent rather less than last year in numerical terms, let alone allowing for inflation, so I might just browse the shelves at one of the "local" Majestics and take some chances.

I noted that from Bodegas Caro there's also a Petit Caro available from Waitrose. I have tried it. Just one bottle chance bought from JL Oxford St. London, so my rating is provisional. It gets a "nice but no complexity" comment in the "cellar book". I don't agree with the Waitrose customers' 5.0 rating. To get anywhere near that score, for me a wine has to have no annoying faults and sufficient character/complexity to be interesting.
Yeah that was what I tried was getting mixed up.

I noted that from Bodegas Caro there's also a Petit Caro available from Waitrose. I have tried it. Just one bottle chance bought from JL Oxford St. London, so my rating is provisional. It gets a "nice but no complexity" comment in the "cellar book".
Mine says ‘OK but disappointing’ so we might be on the same wavelength here. I also bought just one (fortunately.)

£24.62 last June with ‘various discounts’ according to my notes. A voucher handout must have coincided with the 25% deal. Two bottles of 2018 currently lost under the stairs as per instructions. Waitrose have done some serious price-hiking since then, though.

I'm pretty sure I paid £30 for my 2015s. So they would have been £40 full price. Now £50...
Must try one soon.

Lovely ,delicate wine,profound ,complex no.
Would I buy at full price no,at reduced price the
Querciabella is imho much better.

I can only put this down to creeping senescence, what made me think this would be red.
Jeex,blanc obviously and delicious;clairette roussanne,marsanne , viognier,grenache blanc.
Currently reduced at TWS.
Jaume CdR blanc.

52534938613_66e401f14c.jpg

2017 Pigeoulet. This is still improving as far as I can tell, just like the 2015 Guigal I had a few nights ago. Mind you, I do have the discriminating palate of a ravenous dog. Still four or five left of those vintages of each, I’m pleased to say. I could exist purely on Pigeoulet and Guigal, I reckon, should there be - I don’t know - some massive hike in energy prices diverting most of my income into keeping warm or something. Why do folk try to make you drink these things too early? Gaston says he blames the neoliberals.

2017 Pigeoulet. This is still improving as far as I can tell, just like the 2015 Guigal I had a few nights ago. Mind you, I do have the discriminating palate of a ravenous dog. Still four or five left of those vintages of each, I’m pleased to say. I could exist purely on Pigeoulet and Guigal, I reckon, should there be - I don’t know - some massive hike in energy prices diverting most of my income into keeping warm or something. Why do folk try to make you drink these things too early? Gaston says he blames the neoliberals.

I agree entirely, I've often thought exactly the same, possibly about these very wines -- I'd add a white, Deux Albion. However, there's a real fun in owning a cellar with a variety of wines and perusing them, deciding which one to have, savouring the unpredictability etc. And although it's an expensive pleasure, and probably an overrated one, it's one I'll keep going as long as I have the money to do so.

By the way, I was drinking Clos de Gat Chardonnay yesterday, a great find.

I thought you'd already blown your heating allowance on not too shabby booze.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back