advertisement

Christmas Wine II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Went for Rasteau.Treads a fine line between "elegance and rusticity" leaning to the former.

Last edited:
Cleared the shelves for Penfolds Max's Shiraz / Cab yesterday, a fiver off on offer plus -25% so couldn't resist it. (Tesco)

Gradually trying to get into Italian reds as i had a couple of good magnums of '97 Castello Banfi a few years ago.

Any suggestions welcome as i'm building a small tasting selection.

Cleared the shelves for Penfolds Max's Shiraz / Cab yesterday, a fiver off on offer plus -25% so couldn't resist it. (Tesco)

Gradually trying to get into Italian reds as i had a couple of good magnums of '97 Castello Banfi a few years ago.

Difficult to go wrong with any Italian wines at the moment imho.Sicilian wines look good at the Wine Society.

Difficult to go wrong with any TWS wines. Much easier to go wrong in the Veneto seas of mediocre valpolicella and soave.
Sicily usually good.
Or stick to the old favourites Piedmont (and areas north thanks to warming) and Tuscany.

These are ones I have, I enjoy and I shall buy again when current stock runs out

fratoria Le Pupille Morellino di Scansano - I have 2018

Cantina Diomenda Lamo di Pietra - I have 2020

Tenute Tomasella Cabernet Franc - I have 2019

Let me know if you have a problem finding them and I’ll try to remember where I get them from.

These are ones I have, I enjoy and I shall buy again when current stock runs out

fratoria Le Pupille Morellino di Scansano - I have 2018

Cantina Diomenda Lamo di Pietra - I have 2020

Tenute Tomasella Cabernet Franc - I have 2019

Let me know if you have a problem finding them and I’ll try to remember where I get them from.

Thanks all, hope to have a look round on Saturday, maybe a while on internet first. I'm still getting round the different labelling conventions.

Only 2 weeks to go so back to the origin of this thread: what will you be drinking ?
I'm probably having most of a Ch Musar 1998 if I can distract the women with bubbly and Catena Chardonnay Historic Rows or J J Prum. It is also good chance to open a sticky we never seem to get around to.
That should do it.

Chilean pinot noir. I’ll be doing a boned, stuffed capon so bought a selection of bottles and experimented with roasted chicken pieces. The pinot was just right.

Only 2 weeks to go so back to the origin of this thread: what will you be drinking ?
I'm probably having most of a Ch Musar 1998 if I can distract the women with bubbly and Catena Chardonnay Historic Rows or J J Prum. It is also good chance to open a sticky we never seem to get around to.
That should do it.
Probably Musar 2001.
Anyone got Margaux recommendations £30-40?

d'Arsac ,2016 at Aldi half that price .Report back if you try it.
Feels like deja vu ,sure this came up before.
Or Brane at TWS ,not sure what these second wines are like might be a no brainer.

Almost certainly good, 2016 was a stunner. The trouble is that they might still be a bit young, even for a second/third wine.

Into post-op recuperation, so nothing much to do for a month but open bottles, build some Lego and listen to music. Perfect!

Although I’m lukewarm towards fizz as a whole, I do like Jacky Blot’s Triple Zero Chenin. I thought I’d start the booze season with his Gamay version. It’s good - very nice in fact - but hand on heart, I prefer the white. But the rosé is doing a fine job as an apéro with some warm stilton and walnut rolls.

Why is Gaston holding a CD? Well, there’s a music quiz

52566126303_6d0bd995ff_z.jpg

Into post-op recuperation, so nothing much to do for a month but open bottles, build some Lego and listen to music. Perfect!

Although I’m lukewarm towards fizz as a whole, I do like Jacky Blot’s Triple Zero Chenin. I thought I’d start the booze season with his Gamay version. It’s good - very nice in fact - but hand on heart, I prefer the white. But the rosé is doing a fine job as an apéro with some warm stilton and walnut rolls.

Why is Gaston holding a CD? Well, there’s a music quiz

52566126303_6d0bd995ff_z.jpg

I didn't know you'd been ill until just now -- I never even considered for a minute clicking on a thread called Hernia until I saw the post above, and then saw from your profile that you'd been busy there.

Anyway, guéris vite! I've just found the perfect Christmas present for you. It is on its way. I owe you big time for all the wine recs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back