advertisement

Chernobyl

Is there a count of how many people the state sacrificed in bring the disaster under control. And how did they explain the loss of soldiers to the population. Perhaps they did not.

Is there a count of how many people the state sacrificed in bring the disaster under control. And how did they explain the loss of soldiers to the population. Perhaps they did not.

It's all on wiki, think it was around 30 that died from radiation sickness.

It's all on wiki, think it was around 30 that died from radiation sickness.

That's only the deaths from acute radiation sickness (ie dead within days of exposure). The actual death toll is greater but given that it can take years for the effect to appear and it would be difficult to ascribe all illnesses in people who worked in / near Chernobyl at the time of the incident, estimates are all you'll ever get.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chern...and_health_effects_experienced_by_liquidators

Incredible cast and even locations, interiors as well as outside seem impeccable. I have since watched numerous documentaries on the incident and the set pieces were immaculately re-created.

This harrowing docu drama deserves imho every accolade it gets.

The performance of Jared Harris (Legasov) throughout has been incredible, but he was simply brilliant in the last episode, and the development of Shcherbina throughout the series - from a rather unpleasant and unlikable official to arguably a man with whom we can empathise the most - was masterful.

This will go down as a masterpiece in historical storytelling, and rightly so.

Sad it's over / glad it's over.

Superb Docu Drama which deserves every plaudit - a fascinatingly dreadful tale which captured the very essence of the grim greyness of the soviet era.

I need to get this ‘Now! TV’ stuff sorted out and figure out how to watch it on the free trial!

The epilogue at the end of the series is moving and shocking. For example President Mikhail Gorbachev thought the nuclear meltdown at Chernobyl was perhaps the true cause of the collapse of the Soviet Union.

Estimates of the human cost of Chernobyl ranged from 4,000 to 93,000 deaths.The official Soviet death toll is 31.

The three men directly behind the incidents which led up to the explosion, were only given 10 years hard Labour.

600,000 people worked in the exclusion zone. There are no official Soviet records of their fate, despite widespread accounts of sickness and death from radiation.

Valery Legasov, the inorganic chemist and chief of the commission investigating Chernobyl, committed suicide two years after the explosion. His death and the widely circulated audio tapes of his memoirs made Soviet officials finally admit the design flaws in the RBMK nuclear reactors.

"We're so focused on our search for truth," said Lagasov, "we fail to consider how few actually want us to find it. But it is always there, whether we see it or not and whether we choose to or not. The truth doesn't care about our needs or wants. It doesn't care about our governments, our ideologies, our religions. It will lie in wait for all time. This, the last, is the gift of Chernobyl. Where I once would fear the cost of truth, now I only ask what is the cost of lies."

Jack

Last edited:
What a fantastic, harrowing and sobering series...

Superb acting and sets; really gives you an insight into the bloody mindedness of the Ruskies

I've only watched two episodes so far. This is a high-quality show, one of the best TV shows I watched. I think the very high rating of the series is quite justified.

Unfortunately, there are some flaws jarring to the eye and ear, which reduce the authenticity. Considering that unlike all the American movies I’ve watched this one shows everyday life in the USSR quite accurately, this can be pretty annoying. But for the Western people all this is irrelevant.

advertisement

Back