advertisement

Chernobyl

On Sky News I think; have it set to record though

Truly harrowing stuff. The camera man writing on his cards is perhaps the ultimate and grimly perfect avatar for the whole desperate event.

The real life, genuine footage - of vehicles, from helicopters, on the roof of the reactor building - was almost indiscernible from the HBO imagery. Truly astounding; they've managed to blur the lines between fact and fiction with a finesse that I don't think I have ever seen before.

I should maybe listen to more than 10 minutes to it, but so far the guys give me the impression that they consider themselves morally far superior to the lying bunch at Chernobyl. Erm, sorry, but no-one who was even remotely concerned with the disaster in the Soviet Union had an easy task at that time. Try moving the population of a mid-sized town without lying, good luck. The podcast is not much more than vomit-inducing patronising bull. I would have liked to see any oh-so-smart western country handle the event, it’s difficult to come out glorified from it.

I just listened to it impartially and it gives some great background info.

I know what you mean though...USA didn't handle this one in their own backyard too well (it was on Netflix)!

I'd like to see Chernobyl on the big IMAX screen. The sound etc. Split it into two parts or something.

Would sich an event happen in Britain now, your future PM would surely handle the PR with great talent !

I should maybe listen to more than 10 minutes to it, but so far the guys give me the impression that they consider themselves morally far superior to the lying bunch at Chernobyl. Erm, sorry, but no-one who was even remotely concerned with the disaster in the Soviet Union had an easy task at that time. Try moving the population of a mid-sized town without lying, good luck. The podcast is not much more than vomit-inducing patronising bull. I would have liked to see any oh-so-smart western country handle the event, it’s difficult to come out glorified from it.

I’ve not watched the podcast yet, but the thing that came across from the mini-series and also the Sky News documentary last night was the simply astonishing level of bravery and heroism from the people who knowingly put their lives at huge risk clearing the mess up. The then-failing communist state and endless tiers of bureaucrats within (especially those who knew there was a design flaw and hopeless coat-cutting) come across poorly, as one would expect, but those actually on the ground in the clean-up did an amazing job.

Kind of off the main subject of Chernobyl here, but I just recently finished watching the series Manhattan on Hulu, about the Atom Bomb. While it is full of the usual fluff and embellishments, it still gave me quite a bit of pause to think about that whole thing. Simply chilling in so many ways, and quite frankly, disturbing on so many levels. A bit of US history that I can hardly be proud of in so many ways.

Back to Chernobyl, I would love to visit the place some day. It is interesting to see the town Pripyat, and its decay, as nature has taken over. Makes my minds gears churn. Certainly while I do not know all the details, and which are total truths of how the fiasco was handled, I know my own country would have botched it in so many ways, and I can only imagine the piles of cover-up that would have been heaped upon it had it happened here. Certainly is amazing to think how many gave their lives to try and stop the progression of this disaster, and the clean up that has been involved from the start and onwards.

There is a lot of fallout still in the forests surrounding the nuclear complex, which will pose a threat of re-release were the first to take hold. There is an enormous effort to maintain fore breaks in the extensive wooded areas

As somee who grew up in the Soviet Union, I can attest that they got the whole late Soviet vibe just right. Director, I believe, is also of Soviet extraction.

I can attest that they got the whole late Soviet vibe just right.
Including Legassov's grim flat in Moscow ? A world class scientist, member of the board at the most prestigious nuclear institute of the Soviet Union, and an expert appointed by the Politburo ? I found that hard to believe. Over here, someone in such a position would earn not far from a million € a year I reckon.

Including Legassov's grim flat in Moscow ? A world class scientist, member of the board at the most prestigious nuclear institute of the Soviet Union, and an expert appointed by the Politburo ? I found that hard to believe. Over here, someone in such a position would earn not far from a million € a year I reckon.
That was exactly right. Technical people were "losers" and treated with disdain.

I once went to the Moscow flat of the president of the Russian oil and gas worker's union. Yep, it was just the same - very basic & stark.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back