advertisement

Chernobyl

Wow, what an experience - would love to see more images if your willing to share please.
By all means:
MJiSSpPwWq2OhpS6Z4TqW3Wuc0nB90b6w-N43EJABZcNqTBZRQ8yVOGOyovlUnQ9g-gCyBjgstJl9-fiwPWlqFnzXT4lHm2i7z6joPmr7QYqWqPW5ENFYlZhOhAUT8MPkJo6McvhSzKJlwA6GGPC5uMuepAq_HdfOpU6Vj0rqiEmb1pLFvSV-crIPTpFTLmhPHZpM9EevdbvpyyEv3PS7S_YnnWofZnhF6GtNFBYXV3zV-k_D2nCBYf6YqA3fzkwDqYxG5W69HBqMb7_-R3CZDV_fiWi2el1HWInmSfm_Cw-zQV-fzj0kiXHxVP6zNyDbegata40AuJeQl3sSSrZo9CYRG349BU8DfHQ2LkCZNpXgnI53cKgSmhCQp6Y70HSPRLa006O05hxxnVxAen0JhBaBInpk0u4gXd_6VOiBBSRdWfpq1UJxIXv_7vJOFC-XALzRVvN8Kv0qk4CmsIFVSzKOLsKJxHF9Hij4MF4m_LmHSToQ2TD_1992mpFOKhsv9Oc7UzFuVQOy9ySmFc5Ry1552EGhFtBkktkAfSaZhBbO4bh_kK-M3-q2MIppBcuzAG8SoD-EaYlGumfgh-FF5SznW7h0P_5ZGn5La9psg6R4Av5Weky9weF_DDCjokm9IfI_ZuSoXzg1Txu1pvAqkub=w1366-h293-no

vCyhUyrasr20tOaQVwMydQUhUYWiLV0G-Ioonh1ooTf1RaSGRvQRcRcMi7gCs9ybmanDh6XhlCpWTGVaALCHxB-MMo1pcitCB53WeSSZodwak9LgqjxqWkt4n5nKgGNcIxRIXpD_PwRPEV7xmHBYlDg9NyvUY98tIbmVA7KRpTf3xnNJUMzawva4qq6oGvgzbEVCvErNin6KDOozL617CnPXBHZk7f34xFW4fd7MYWNWSiRbGHtgDW8kw-M_50WLr_uYEA6cACXQJOJfkf9Pt8u62oRVL9KRhCgt7d5Lt4ulvDOyLS38ZGvTaM53Z56CkjhY-nG5YdFEHcLRZtuFeCTvDvFJQODLXo3InuLzDSsKtM8XdgVgASXhk7GfdjWt5adJvLi86uLFu-bubCz811g0U3G5b0NYW0A4xonpturwfyKj9ynp1o-o0BOFFge2StIeUe1NUx9oCUO4p8CmkKvMWuFg3jsSfIK3R41G3-bO4chRK-pGwBjkxYyZeJFeZNyagarIoKmxbJKRu3ON2xNLn06cvn76ZZsoFhLWevTXCb0X70AOL0ZQke0r8Wf49-OKcyqmfDUxbtUII5n8lOado3NFJZa54Cg7JMNDpecl_Usfbet2v6rXqfx-DlfQA75HAOee4r0iU6h6rKawITLt=w910-h609-no

NQSnD3P0mayOskx3LXDtsOHMN8-zhXEtot_nN803S9XThBzzCYidh_JosVH5g_-IvnikttHawECcqSyGW1cm1iWVKtg5ziwOhmHa-df50EKTsxe_ZSOQM5RBeGzhL3h6KWouhek0dKO8aOWvkZbjtW73lin_IkpiQve4wVQ1MmEg4TLEw-5JHswmOvT02TsNfgkKaYWJtn0R-ke5znY-1xBhSqYcbssDEgVQIy96gEmRYDzR9zfndh02hPGpeI6frpJ7FPyzy6ngQA156qOMUIeiX6NIDB4_0XKE7fnJS_JQ_eO5kzacjvEsuxQEhMcSyNM-Dws4MnNjO7vI0RoLhLj-jFFP0blAXqi9KuPnpx6QWjuxI-8GAtGb5iXaUa8v1OSrZuM8OvWDe1dSrJJ9QGrUJm0J0BVV_aD-lWmzTHDQmxC7_AyX5utDJhwKwgngYUyDL9N1TFrB1pQ-aSuvoR0E0-nAPjR24dTvKiJLkiYuOuWsRhmmWSoHpbWKFkU5DvSoY5qUlpSpb5vlk8eNp_pt-r_I-m4usZmgqhu5xuKWMeITK2MojzvWMnhAQh2aQnsgqpkMbCz07lkAabmAjvrRBOIMG7wKule-6SIH-5Sexuh5aotZEE_5x48zm5rV99ReWxa9fEoI5HXqm_VWOPm5=w910-h609-no

3vqzMN1ZG7HLLAXdA

Having just finished the Chernobyl History of a Tragedy book it's clear there are a cast of characters missing(the control room was packed for the test for example), events condensed for brevity etc but the overall gist of the story is pretty well done.
The doctor at the Moscow clinic had gained her radiation poisoning experience from experiments on gulag prisoners during the Soviet bomb program and the TV gives the impression they didnt know what they were doing but in fact they saved many there. Another example, there were further small explosions as the reactor 'woke' from its iodine pit and so was to Legasov completely out of control and they were seriously concerned it would blow at any moment taking out the other reactors and most of europe(this is separate from the unground water tanks issue).
Read the book it's even more engrossing and fascinating than the mini series.

Last edited:
The apartments of a young firefighter family from Belarus and an academician of the USSR Academy of Sciences in Moscow look essentially the same, which is simply unbelievable, given the enormous difference in social status and income.
Another utopia shattered :confused:

Just signed up and watched the first two episodes. Very, very good so far! Yurivv’s comments upthread are interesting and also help give a little context. I’ve no idea how truthful or realistic the portrayal of events is, but the look and feel is great. The rather odd droney music/ambience is pretty good too!
Great interview with the composer, Hildur Guðnadóttir, of the music here

"Guðnadóttir, the composer and cellist (she’s played with Throbbing Gristle, scored films, and toured with Sunn O)))) was joined by Chris Watson on field recording. But this wasn’t just about gathering cool samples, but as she puts it, about listening. So every sound you hear is indeed drawn from the landscape of a similar Soviet-era nuclear plant, but as she tells it, the act of observing was just as important."

I watched the first 3 episode on tablet in the middle of the night with headphones on.

Soundtrack was the icing on the cake

It would have been much better if the show had been made by Russians (or Ukrainians), but unfortunately with Putin in charge it's hard to imagine it would be more realistic than HBO.

Unfortunately, you are right in many ways. Not because the government wants to hide some facts about Chernobyl disaster - it’s all in the past and belongs to another country, not the one where we live now, but because the different subjects are more popular anong "us". Looking at the latest films of "historical" subjects (mainly WWII or so), I want to either laugh or blush. They are more like Marvell movies, but in "our" setting (and it's more sad that we have great films from USSR era on this topic).

Another utopia shattered :confused:

:)
Well, in the USSR there was no communism after all. People worked for money, some got more, others less. Besides, there was such a thing as an eternal shortage of consumer goods. in Moscow, you could buy almost everything that could be bought in the USSR (including foreign goods, though with considerable difficulties), while in the other regions (with the exception of the far north) there was practically nothing. The family of my (future) wife lived in the Arctic Circle then, and their income was about 3-4 times higher than the income of my family, which lived 100 miles south of Moscow, given that the level of education was about the same. In fact, there were much more differences between people in the USSR, but, of course, this is a topic of entire books and scientific research, and not a couple of my rather amateurish messages on the forum.
Even today there is no consensus among us about whether life in the USSR was better than now or not. It is interesting that a significant part of young people who did not live in the USSR, admire by this country, regardless of how positively their parents respond to that life. In truth, life then was not without certain advantages, but personally I am very glad that it remained in the past.

(with the exception of the far north)
How come, were there any state subsidies ? I would have imagined the region to be far less productive than the surrounds of Moscow, or the western republics in general.

The only person I know having experienced life in the USSR as an adult is a friend's stepmother, she does not feel particularly bitter about the regime change. But she does say that solidarity between ordinary citizens had reached a level she hasn't experienced anywhere else since.

My sister lived in Russia for a few month 20 years ago because she was studying for a degree in Russian. She said you could hear gun shots at night and there was a large divide between the rich and poor that was obvious when you looked at the cars in the street. She said most of the posh cars were owned by the mafia.

How come, were there any state subsidies ? I would have imagined the region to be far less productive than the surrounds of Moscow, or the western republics in general.

It happens that almost all exotic minerals in USSR (Russia) are located in hard-to-reach regions (Polar Circle, Siberia, Far East etc.). The same can be said about the largest reserves of common minerals. So all these areas gave a lot of valuable raw materials, and the mining in these conditions is very expensive, and life is very difficult. If there is no high wages and good supply, no one will go there to live.

My father-in-law was the head of explosion department of the coal mine, and my mother-in-law was a CHP power plant operation engineer. They lived in Vorkuta then, you can imagine life there on this video, filmed on May 25 of this year. :)

I managed to nab a code for now.tv which is good until June 29 and I watched ep 1 last night; chilling stuff indeed.

Great interview with the composer, Hildur Guðnadóttir, of the music here

"Guðnadóttir, the composer and cellist (she’s played with Throbbing Gristle, scored films, and toured with Sunn O)))) was joined by Chris Watson on field recording. But this wasn’t just about gathering cool samples, but as she puts it, about listening. So every sound you hear is indeed drawn from the landscape of a similar Soviet-era nuclear plant, but as she tells it, the act of observing was just as important."

Really excellent stuff on the soundtrack. As soon as the last episode had finished I replayed the ending choral track from the soundtrack album. Her cello stuff is good too IMO.

It also reminded me of Brian Reitzell’s soundtrack for the Hannibal series, another abstract, exceedingly moody affair.

advertisement

Back