advertisement

Cars: Audi, BMW, Mercedes

er, that's exactly the kind of reason I spent 3-4 months hunting down a really nice e39 5-series, a couple of years ago. To my taste -one of the best products they've ever made, and still a great answer for what I want a car for, and... a lovely, quiet , but engaging/enjoyable to drive - for journeys of 6-600miles a day.

Running cost - bobbins. Serviceability -amazing: probably the last car BMW designed for such: all four headlight bulbs are the same, and you can swap each in about 60s each from a standing position (so lose a low-beam, swap for adjacent main until you buy can buy a spare bulb...). All filters ditto, and no tools required. With a Philips driver and a 10mm spanner you can address most of all things (and these are provided as part of the oem toolkit). Want more than that? - the software to diagnose/fiddle with/read/re-code every aspect of the entire onboard ecosystem is openly available, and the support you can find for such by other owners amazing.

It has simple-but sufficient toys, and real gauges, an entirely-analogue feel; handles beautifully with engaging feedback however hard you care to push it (& I do) - and no crappy ipad/idrive/crapscreen boshed hideously into the middle of the dash as seems normal these days, and ... I love it.

[to the extent that the really new/flash-fast thing the local dealer gave me a go in as an upsell - I handed back giggling internally /glad to, after how hilariously-numb the driving experience really was. The very idea he'd think I'd like to pay for sim as 'what you could be driving' ...]

Your experience of the new/flash fast things reminds me of my test of the M4 when it came out.

I do have a hankering to get my hands on an E38…

And how much did realised depreciation cost you over the two years?

Well, it was 2005, the 997 just launched. IIRC the depreciation was about £7K. Was pretty happy with that for 2 years of hassle free, risk free Pork ownership. Good job I bailed, many of those engines went on to lunch themselves and present colossal bills to owners. I can see why they only gave a 2 year warranty (disgraceful really). German build quality and reliability at its finest! Lovely car though.

er, that's exactly the kind of reason I spent 3-4 months hunting down a really nice e39 5-series, a couple of years ago. To my taste -one of the best products they've ever made, and still a great answer for what I want a car for, and... a lovely, quiet , but engaging/enjoyable to drive - for journeys of 6-600miles a day.

Running cost - bobbins. Serviceability -amazing: probably the last car BMW designed for such: all four headlight bulbs are the same, and you can swap each in about 60s each from a standing position (so lose a low-beam, swap for adjacent main until you buy can buy a spare bulb...). All filters ditto, and no tools required. With a Philips driver and a 10mm spanner you can address most of all things (and these are provided as part of the oem toolkit). Want more than that? - the software to diagnose/fiddle with/read/re-code every aspect of the entire onboard ecosystem is openly available, and the support you can find for such by other owners amazing.

It has simple-but sufficient toys, and real gauges, an entirely-analogue feel; handles beautifully with engaging feedback however hard you care to push it (& I do) - and no crappy ipad/idrive/crapscreen boshed hideously into the middle of the dash as seems normal these days, and ... I love it.

[to the extent that the really new/flash-fast thing the local dealer gave me a go in as an upsell - I handed back giggling internally /glad to, after how hilariously-numb the driving experience really was. The very idea he'd think I'd like to pay for sim as 'what you could be driving' ...]
A good friend of mine has two E39s. A 530d and an M5. During lockdown he had more time off than me and spent it curing the rust problems and general fettling. The d has all new suspension now, and is probably good for another 200,000 miles.

When he bought the M5 I went out in it with him, and felt it was down on power. He agreed and, as he would do anyway, went about replacing sensors and getting the engine, Vanos etc just right.

He took me out in it a couple of weeks ago… holy catflap. It’s brutal now. It’s not just the extra power, it’s the instant throttle response that’s the shocker. A lovely machine that’ll probably see him out. Once he replaces the suspension (with oem) it’ll be perfect.

He also has a twenty year old S8, a 1994 Merc E220, a G plate Peugeot 405 estate diesel and two GSXR 1000 bikes!

@Tony Lockhart
Completely agree ref throttle response.

I have an Arteon and Z4. Same power, but obviously the Z4 is lighter, but without turbos.

If I flick the Sport button on, the throttle response is immediate and it redlines. Magical straight 6 noise too.

I also used to own an E39. Great cars.
Ask @hifilover1979 :p

Back on thread.

These German cars have lovely interiors but I prefer BMW or the others.

OP, any decisions?

A good friend of mine has two E39s. A 530d and an M5. During lockdown he had more time off than me and spent it curing the rust problems and general fettling. The d has all new suspension now, and is probably good for another 200,000 miles.

When he bought the M5 I went out in it with him, and felt it was down on power. He agreed and, as he would do anyway, went about replacing sensors and getting the engine, Vanos etc just right.

He took me out in it a couple of weeks ago… holy catflap. It’s brutal now. It’s not just the extra power, it’s the instant throttle response that’s the shocker. A lovely machine that’ll probably see him out. Once he replaces the suspension (with oem) it’ll be perfect.

He also has a twenty year old S8, a 1994 Merc E220, a G plate Peugeot 405 estate diesel and two GSXR 1000 bikes!

Can't go wrong with an E39 (as long as it's been looked after & maintained) ;) The issue with these cars now is a lot are run on shoestring budgets; meaning those that don't do their due diligence end up with a dog and will spend more time & money fixing it than they will do enjoying it!

Hence why my touring is in the condition that it is and up for the price that it's at (and previous E39s and E38s) have all done well when it's come to selling them...

I'd highly recommend the BMW 7 series; their build quality IMO is 2nd to none... But for BMW 5 series; bar the current G31; the jury is still out for me re their build and engine choices

I did exactly the same thing about 7 years ago. Searched Italy for a E39 528i and found one with the "M" kit, beautiful leather seats ("Santorini blau"), top of the range stereo, raindrop sensor, etc. It had 80,000 Km (50,000 miles), now up to 135,000 Km (85,000 miles). Perfect mechanically, the only things that have gone wrong are one engine sensor, the plastic radiator cracking, the ABS module dying, and now a dead seat-sensor for the airbags. A few months ago I drove to the local BMW dealer to see what there was new. They all looked and felt like glittery crap in comparison. I told the salesman I wanted a 6-cylinder engine and a car no wider than 180cm, and his response was " Why do you care about cylinders? You'll never notice the difference." Then he listed all the USB slots, cameras, electric seat position computer, WiFi, etc for about 20 minutes. I left.

PCP - i walk into the dealer and say what can I have for £xxxx per month with £yyyy deposit.

When I've been giving back another porsche, they normally give a decent dealer contribution, and ignore any damage on the return.

it helps I've had 4 cars through them in about 11 years. It also helped with Merc over a period of 6 years. They were a bit surprised I ditched them

it helps if you make friends with your dealer. I bumped into the service team in the 'spoons the other week and bought them a round of drinks....

Well, it was 2005, the 997 just launched. IIRC the depreciation was about £7K. Was pretty happy with that for 2 years of hassle free, risk free Pork ownership. Good job I bailed, many of those engines went on to lunch themselves and present colossal bills to owners. I can see why they only gave a 2 year warranty (disgraceful really). German build quality and reliability at its finest! Lovely car though.

Yes, bore score can leave owners with a £13k engine rebuild bill.

Your experience of the new/flash fast things reminds me of my test of the M4 when it came out.

I do have a hankering to get my hands on an E38…

Swerve time, we already have two V8s. But, as an alternative, perhaps a Double Six? A real waft mobile.

Went for a testdrive with the GTE today. Unfortunately the battery hadn’t been charged, so I’ll go again this Thursday. The car looked pretty good, lots of space!!

Well while you wait, jump in a Skoda Superb estate for a comparison to the VW.

I'd like to go for the Passat because it is a hybrid. The Skoda is not. If I'd go petrol, I'd probably go for the Audi as I find it the best looking car of the bunch. Space is not the biggest issue; we manage just fine with the (small) V60. It's just a nice extra.

advertisement

Back