advertisement

Cars: Audi, BMW, Mercedes

I drive loads of hire cars for work, so have driven all sorts of new cars and would not hesitate to lease a Mercedes e Class if I were in the market for a new executive saloon. Great cars

I quite agree on the e class, I nearly bought one, but I ended up buying a new diesel 5 series estate, I got a much better deal, I part exchanged 3 years later for a petrol, I've had that since '19, its a really nice car that just waffs me along quite economically considering the size of the car...

That is of course until I see a fellow audio enthusiast.. I immediately overtake them, cut them up, then once in front I can bask in the superiority of driving a nice..ish bm

As my PCP is coming to an end on my A5, went to an Audi dealer today to look at a replacement. Seems that Audi have stopped producing a 6 cylinder diesel version. Bum. :(

High voltage DC has significantly lower losses than AC. About 35% lower.
How so? Have the laws of physics changed? When I was at school, we were taught that power transmission lines used high voltage AC because the I^R losses were lower at high voltage, and the conversion to DC was more efficient done locally.

How so? Have the laws of physics changed? When I was at school, we were taught that power transmission lines used high voltage AC because the I^R losses were lower at high voltage, and the conversion to DC was more efficient done locally.

Apparently not the case - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-voltage_direct_current#Comparison_with_AC

Depending on voltage level and construction details, HVDC transmission losses are quoted at 3.5% per 1,000 km, about 50% less than AC (6.5%) lines at the same voltage.[23] This is because direct current transfers only active power and thus causes lower losses than alternating current, which transfers both active and reactive power.

With AC transmission one also one also get problems with capacitances between the (often) three wires and between the wires and ground. We where taught so when I studied high voltage at school as part of my engineer education. Power transmissions are LONG so it really matters. In the olden days there where problems converting DC voltages, not so any more. As far as I know, under water kables has always been DC.

50 Hz has a wavelength of 6000 km, so at continental scales transmission line matching gets awkward.
DC avoids losses radiation loss, skin effect and most importantly, no requirement for grid synchronisation

So, I made two testdrives with the Passat GTE this week. Two because the first time the battery pack hadn't been charged and because I was curious what my wife would think.

The Passat is an okay car. The hybrid technology works well and the engine is more civilized than my V60 D6. Fully loaded the E-range said 38 km. That's bad; my Volvo (3 years older) still has full range (50 km on the indicator, but in reality about 45 km). So I wasn't too sure about the battery pack. The Passat has loads of space, which is a great pre. The kids would have a lot more space and luggage cannot be a problem in the back (with the Volvo it can be). What really bothered me about the Passat is that it's just a plain car. It's absolutely not a premium car. It's just okay. When you step in an Audi A4 (we did also) it's a big difference. Nicer materials, better details. The same goes for the MB, these cars are really on a higher level. Rationally it doesn't matter, but emotionally it does. As the paint of the Passat wasn't our favorite, we decided to wait. We keep our eyes open for a fully loaded GTE in the right color ánd we look at a petrol A4 Avant. When one comes by, we'll see what we do. I'd really like to drive hybrid again, but I could also argue it will be the last petrol car I'll buy and go for the Audi...

Update: I just bought a GTE! Found a very nice version in silver with a glass roof, all leather and a digital display. Now it feels premium! And it is a way more civilized drive than the Volvo. Now I hope I have a little more luck with this car :)

Just had a ride in my sister's new Toyota Yaris (petrol, manual). It was dark, and the inside of the car was dominated by a vast luminous screen in the middle of the dashboard with a blue-pattern background and "AUDIO SYSTEM OFF" in the middle. "Can you turn it off," I asked. "Oh no. That's the car's computer." Then I saw a sign between the instruments that every few seconds imperiously flashed "SHIFT" with a green up or down arrow next to it. There seemed to be no relationship between the RPM, the speed or the uphill-downhill. I asked (stupid, I know) if it could be turned off. Of course not. There is also, she told me, an alarm that sounds when you change lanes.

Just had a ride in my sister's new Toyota Yaris (petrol, manual). It was dark, and the inside of the car was dominated by a vast luminous screen in the middle of the dashboard with a blue-pattern background and "AUDIO SYSTEM OFF" in the middle. "Can you turn it off," I asked. "Oh no. That's the car's computer." Then I saw a sign between the instruments that every few seconds imperiously flashed "SHIFT" with a green up or down arrow next to it. There seemed to be no relationship between the RPM, the speed or the uphill-downhill. I asked (stupid, I know) if it could be turned off. Of course not. There is also, she told me, an alarm that sounds when you change lanes.

I’d rather kill myself or walk.

I’d rather kill myself or walk.

I agree completely, although I'm not sure about suicide or, perish the thought, walking.
But what is the alternative in 2021? The only one I can see is keeping a car from before. say, 2005-2010, and just spending all the money necessary to keep it in as perfect condition as possible. That's what I'm doing with my 1999 528i.

I agree completely, although I'm not sure about suicide or, perish the thought, walking.
But what is the alternative in 2021? The only one I can see is keeping a car from before. say, 2005-2010, and just spending all the money necessary to keep it in as perfect condition as possible. That's what I'm doing with my 1999 528i.

Waiting is what a lot of us are doing. I hope the driver interface improves in future cars, because most of what I’m seeing in current models is ridiculously complicated and poorly implemented. For me, it’s either wait or do something crazy…

https://toyota-en-us.visteoninfotainment.com/settings-customize.

Kill yourself, walk, or, erm, turn it off....

advertisement

Back