advertisement

Car prices

Fag packet numbers are about right Ponty, ignoring dividend allowances etc. If you fancy a new EV then it's probably as good a time as it ever will be - if you can get one!

Tesla website saying delivery early 2022 for a model Y. Doesn’t sound like there are lead time problems?

Range. Especially in cold weather.
If you find one that works for you on that - as you say NB.
Unless you miss the sound of an inline 6 or V8..

Range could be an issue now (which is partly why an EV doesn’t work here). Not an issue where I’m going.

Have to say that the servicing costs on a Tesla are somewhat unique. Like Zero. Over 3 years. No wonder the lease companies love em.

Unless you miss the sound of a V8..

audi-rs7-rs-7-sportback-carbon-black--600-ps-tiptronic-685659916-1.jpg

:)

Range. Especially in cold weather.
If you find one that works for you on that - as you say NB.
Unless you miss the sound of an inline 6 or V8..

I still have an inline 6 to play with as well.

Range is more about how you drive. I have done several long distance cold dark and wet drives recently. Drove to Birmingham at very close to speed limit or 50 speed limit and range was pretty much spot on at 305 miles estimated tacked well there and back. A couple of weeks later, similar conditions but enthusiastic dual carriage way speeds on quiet roads the whole way and range was horrible, probably around 200 miles; did 160 getting to Norwich then to the Thetford supercharger with around 58 mile range left. Had a coffee and as the chargers were very busy charge speed was slow at around 70kwh instead of the 150 normally possible so a 35 min wait rather than the usual 15-20 min. My worst experience so far - still fine for me.

Anyone else into " Fifth Gear - Recharged" on Quest or Discovery +?

Really liking what they're doing with this. A proper motoring programme about real cars for ordinary people who have to use and live with them on a daily basis (rather than a gas guzzling weekend show off ride).

Two stumpy Labs will fit in the back of a Kia e-Niro, but not its sister car the Hyundai e-Kona. At worst I've seen the range fall 20% in winter compared to summer. That's still over 200 miles usable in one go. I've got it on a salary sacrifice lease scheme. The only things I have to buy are power and screenwash. The savings over my last car are huge, even though I'm paying a lot more up front. No insurance, tyres, servicing, I'll conveniently forget the PCN I received for having my old car on a parking app last month - grrr.

We were following an E39 530i touring yesterday and I remembered how much fun they were to drive, and its classic looks. Then the realisation of being in a car that's about 10x cheaper to run, and goes at fast, and as comfortably hit me. I do miss that M54 dual-VANOS kick though.

In winter my Zoe's range has fallen to 160/170 miles, in summer it's 210/220. I've not found the decrease a problem. I would like heated seats though. Miss those from my old Volvo.

In winter my Zoe's range has fallen to 160/170 miles, in summer it's 210/220. I've not found the decrease a problem. I would like heated seats though. Miss those from my old Volvo.

They're actually more efficient for heating the driver up than the climate control.

They're actually more efficient for heating the driver up than the climate control.

Definitely. The seats take an age to get warm when you sit on them. They're a mix of fake leather (vinyl) and fabric. I'd prefer just fabric I think, although the mixed ones do look better.

My brother was an early adopter and has a series 1 Zoe (2014) which he got new. It has a smaller battery than the current model and much less range (typically <100 miles). He lives near Bury St Edmunds and came up here to visit us (in Manchester) recently. I've driven that trip (in a van, and in a car) and it takes ~4hr30mins. The journey here took him over 9 hours (on a Friday), and his journey home took nearly 10 (on a Sunday). That was two charging stops each way, and on each trip there was an 'issue' with one of the chargers. He also attempted to recharge on a charger in a local supermarket. The App showed the charger as working, and it seemed to talk to the car fine, but we went back to the car 3 hours later and it hadn't added even 1% charge.

He accepts that the Zoe is not the right car for that sort of trip, but he's currently 'between cars' on their other car, so there wasn't a choice.

I want to go electric, but I think the infrastructure needs to catch up a bit more before I do.

I want to go electric, but I think the infrastructure needs to catch up a bit more before I do.

I might go electric this year but if I do it'll be based on the trip between my home and my weekend place (which is a hilly and 160 miles away) being do-able without re-charge even in winter conditions (and with a reasonable amount of contingency) as I'd have my own charging points at each end. I don't think I'd ever want to to use an electric car where I was charging it anywhere other than one of our homes - at least not until the infrastructure situation had improved massively.

I'll keep my petrol estate car for an trips longer than can be comfortably done on a single EV charge.

likewise here - either keep the old 2 litre diesel Superb estate and/or Audi 4.0T petrol for rare or long trips and the EV for daily use

I might go electric this year but if I do it'll be based on the trip between my home and my weekend place (which is a hilly and 160 miles away) being do-able without re-charge even in winter conditions (and with a reasonable amount of contingency) as I'd have my own charging points at each end. I don't think I'd ever want to to use an electric car where I was charging it anywhere other than one of our homes - at least not until the infrastructure situation had improved massively.

I'll keep my petrol estate car for an trips longer than can be comfortably done on a single EV charge.
Yes, that's roughly where I am, too. My 'daily' commute (if I ever find myself doing that again) is around 30 miles (round trip) so eminently do-able in an EV, but the in-laws are about 40 miles away, so I'd want to be able to go there and back at the drop of a hat, without having to ensure a full charge before I set off. Beyond that, the occasional trip to my brother, or up to the Lakes, Snowdonia, North Yorkshire would require a c200 mile range as an absolute minimum. And by that, I mean 200 miles driven at ahem, mumble 'proper' motorway cruising speeds with full heating or aircon, audio, lights, wipers and sundry other electrical drains. In midwinter.

advertisement

Back