advertisement

Car prices

There'll be good money to be made from replacing knackered cells as a cheaper alternative to replacing whole batteries.

Replacing a damaged cell with a knockoff cell is a big risk, not so bad in a phone but even that has killed at least one person, having a dodgy cell explode in the middle of good cells will probably cause the whole lot to go up.

Replacing a damaged cell with a knockoff cell is a big risk, not so bad in a phone but even that has killed at least one person, having a dodgy cell explode in the middle of good cells will probably cause the whole lot to go up.
No more risky than the thousands of dodgy backstreet garages that have repaired braking systems and fuel systems on ICE cars over the last 140 years!

Can I pick the Pink Fish hive mind?

I have a Kia Sportage on HP, with the final payment of £11k due in May.

WBAC have valued it at £16.5k. Considering selling to WBAC, who will settle the finance, leaving me with potentially £5k to put my next car.

Am I missing any obvious pitfalls? The next car would probably be a 4 year lease.

The current Sportage is being replaced with a new model soon, which may affect values I guess.

Your Kia dealer will very likely do you a better deal. WBAC is a branch of British Car Auctions - a lot of their stock goes for auction prices to the trade. Your BIG problem - you are unlikely to get a new car in time, and even if you do a lot of options and specs will be missing becasue of the shortage of electronic components. Current new car lead time are horrendous -that very fact is driving the high used car values. So you might well be better off putting up the cash and buying the current car outright and think about changing it perhaps next year?

You sure you are on HP? - HP would not normally have a big balloon payment like that - the balloons are a feature of the much more common PCP finance...

Seems at least one company have themselves up (despite the risk) to do exactly that and warranty their work.

https://www.hybridbatterysolutions.co.uk/

I suspect if cells blowing up was likely thing, they wouldn't have been in the business for as long as they have. Maybe they know what they're doing.

pretty impressive when it goes wrong.

Agreed but no worse than an ICE car going up

The thing is, Tesla are notorious for making it hard to do any repairs yourself. So in all likelihood, that's a factory-fit battery going t*ts-up.

The new house I’m hopefully buying has an electric car charging point. No more 4x4’s will be required as I won’t be living in an environment to need one. It could make sense to take the leap into an EV. Are the supply issues just as bad with EV’s and what should I buy?

I’ll probably move to a Kia EV6 or Hyundai Ionic next year when I’m forced by my employer to go electric, they’ll fit a charging point at home as an incentive

A friend has an EV6 and likes it. Mine must be labrador friendly although having said that, the Subaru XV is fine for the dog. What I don’t want is a pointless and offensive SUV, hateful things.

A friend has an EV6 and likes it. Mine must be labrador friendly although having said that, the Subaru XV is fine for the dog. What I don’t want is a pointless and offensive SUV, hateful things.

I'd wait until the main manufacturers are releasing their gen 2 designs in a few years. We're still early days...ICE cars can really sip the petrol now.

ICE for us next, last one before retirement? waiting for the dealer to run some numbers, looks like more equity in the Targa than we thought.....

My main requirements are also it being Labrador friendly (ideally big enough to fit a TransK9 cage in the back) plus a real world 200 mile range in winter. It sounds like going to get access to one of the leasing schemes for EV's next year, but I'll need to check out the small print as there is a good chance I'll retire in the next 18 months or so.

ICE for us next, last one before retirement? waiting for the dealer to run some numbers, looks like more equity in the Targa than we thought.....

so much equity in the Targa that I won't need a deposit (apart from holding deposit) on the new (to me) incoming Pork :D - with no change in monthly repayments

I'd wait until the main manufacturers are releasing their gen 2 designs in a few years. We're still early days...ICE cars can really sip the petrol now.

Probably best. I was thinking I could take advantage of the silly used car market and lease an EV through the Ltd Co, which if I understand correctly would cost sod all in terms of BIK.

advertisement

Back