advertisement

Car prices

It was also a French base model tested, one that isn’t available here with a whole load of safety features missing. Certainly a foot bullet interface, but maybe not totally representative of the whole range.

Probably not 'the' place to put this, but as this thread is now up in the list, saves trawling for others..
For anyone thinking of going EV or PHEV - this is worthy of knowing :-
So I now have to make a move or miss out on £350 towards install.
Car not due here really until Mid/late April, possibly later with all this current kerfuffle.

OZEV: Office for Zero Emission Vehicles
Previously known as OLEV: Office for Low Emission Vehicles

The UK Department of Transport and the Office for Low Emission Vehicles runs the Electric Vehicle Home Charge Scheme (EVHS). They offer a grant towards the purchase and installation of a home EV charge point. It is commonly known as the OZEV grant.

Customers can get up to £350 off the cost of an approved EV charge point and installation. Many EV charger manufacturers absorb this grant in the selling price which is good for the customer. However, it pays to check that you meet the criteria.

NOTE: From April 2022, this grant will no longer be open to homeowners (including people with mortgages) who live in single-unit properties such as bungalows and detached, semi-detached, or terraced housing.

From April 2022, this grant will no longer be open to homeowners (including people with mortgages) who live in single-unit properties such as bungalows and detached, semi-detached, or terraced housing.

Ah, so they’re going to can the grant without having the balls to say they’re canning the grant.

People who live in single-unit properties are much more likely to be car-commuters than those who live in apartments, simply because they’re much more likely to have access to parking. The majority of people taking up Ireland’s similar scheme are in this type of housing.

Meanwhile, those who live in multi-unit buildings are much less likely to be able to install a car charger in the first place, even if they had parking on-site. The structure of every apartment development is normally communally owned, and you can’t do anthing to change that structure or its services without buy-in from the other owners. Installing electric car chargers is hell of a structural change, and often requires new electrical wiring, and I know of people who have had difficulties in getting it done (the question of who pays for the electricity once installed is only where the trouble starts...)

So, “we will exclude those who could claim, but continue to allow those who couldn’t claim anyway to claim”..

@Sonority - I can’t speak for how the UK scheme works, but for the Irish one, you don’t need the car before you apply: proof that you have placed an order for an approved car is sufficient to claim the grant. Check if this is true for you.

It appears that I can now claim via the manufacturer with a valid purchase order / proof of intent.
It was (I know I read it somewhere) that a VIN was needed.
For the UK a ~VIN is only given once the car is manufactured, the USA get a VIN with the date given for their car going into production, which could be many weeks before it does.
With the grant being removed - current lead times of 6-8 weeks are going to rapidly extend, as grant = must be fitted prior to March 31st.

How odd that the grant is removed once a (fairly rapid) climb in uptake of PHEV / EV happens.

How safe will it be with 3 years of rust on it ?
I work with someone who made a tidy sum buying dead Fiat 500s that had head gasket failure. Quickly fixed, very quickly sold, bish bash bosh. None were rusty. What’s the world coming to???

Back on topic, used car prices still on the up in the USA.

Supply-chain issues have slammed coveted goods from cream cheese to cars. Shortages have hit the US vehicle market so hard, in fact, that bizarre things have started happening.

Amid a dwindling supply of new cars, used vehicles have experienced record price increases over the last year and a half. Moreover, things are so out of whack that more than a dozen models now cost more to buy lightly used than new, according to a November study from automotive research site iSeeCars.

And the UK.

The average price of a second-hand car is now £19,776. In the week commencing 9 November 2020, the average price was £15,033, according to Auto Trader.

And that's nothing on the biggest model riser, with the average advertised values for Land Rover Defender 90s more than doubling in the last year to a massive £79,000.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money...ar-prices-increase-80th-consecutive-week.html

I work with someone who made a tidy sum buying dead Fiat 500s that had head gasket failure. Quickly fixed, very quickly sold, bish bash bosh. None were rusty. What’s the world coming to???
I bet he can't make money swapping head gaskets on the electric versions.

Can I pick the Pink Fish hive mind?

I have a Kia Sportage on HP, with the final payment of £11k due in May.

WBAC have valued it at £16.5k. Considering selling to WBAC, who will settle the finance, leaving me with potentially £5k to put my next car.

Am I missing any obvious pitfalls? The next car would probably be a 4 year lease.

The current Sportage is being replaced with a new model soon, which may affect values I guess.

Is that an agreed value from WBAC or one just based on the vehicle and its miles? I think they can be shysters and when you actually turn up they knock a load off hoping you take it because you're there ready to sell and have a new car lined up.

Is that an agreed value from WBAC or one just based on the vehicle and its miles? I think they can be shysters and when you actually turn up they knock a load off hoping you take it because you're there ready to sell and have a new car lined up.
Just a quick internet quote, so yes potential for it to go down in person.

I wouldn't sell to WBAC. I would check with the group buyer of the supplying dealer and then someone like Evans Halshaw. They'll offer a reasonable price rather than @matt j says and offer a very good deal to sucker you in and then when you rock up, knock money off for acceptable wear and tear and actually offer you an average price...

Just a quick internet quote, so yes potential for it to go down in person.

A mate sold to WBAC a few years ago. When the WBAC guy had finished inspecting the car, he upped the offer from £6,300 to £6,800 because of the excellent condition. So don’t expect the worst unless you’re selling a shed.

A mate sold to WBAC a few years ago. When the WBAC guy had finished inspecting the car, he upped the offer from £6,300 to £6,800 because of the excellent condition. So don’t expect the worst unless you’re selling a shed.

Fair one, but it wouldn't help to get a couple of offers to compare to.

Motorway can give you another idea of value, although I have never sold through it.

https://motorway.co.uk/

advertisement

Back