advertisement

Cannot abide fruit polo's or wine gums.

Wile we're on the topic of tooth-rotting confectionery and related substances..anybody remember this stuff ?

VOmnxdfl.png

The vast majority of alcopops I've tasted remind me of it.

Wow, forgot all about Creamola Foam. Must have been in the sixties when I had that.

Anyone remember Delsosa rosehip syrup. I remember as a very young kid being given a spoonful of that every day. I always looked upon it as a medication (vitamin c supplement) but it appears it’s still around!

Amazing stuff!
I remember eating a tin in one go and it exited from the other end quite explosively an hour later.

Aft thrusters one-half impulse power Mr Dweezil..

Had a similar experience with a mixed box of raisins and sultanas found at the bottom of my mum's cooking cupboard one memorable day. Periodic and intermittent full aft-thrust throughout the remaining afternoon - punctuated by guffaws from my brother and barely suppressed grins from the parents. An experience not easily forgotten :)

Last edited:
Wow, forgot all about Creamola Foam. Must have been in the sixties when I had that.

Anyone remember Delsosa rosehip syrup. I remember as a very young kid being given a spoonful of that every day. I always looked upon it as a medication (vitamin c supplement) but it appears it’s still around!
Yup I remember that. We used to like a cordial made from half Delrosa and half Ribena.

Slightly OT, but does anybody remember something called Virol? A sort of sticky, honey like substance In a jar, used to soothe babies. Liked the smell of it as a kid.

And Dinnefords Gripe Water which, I suspect, was mostly gin, or similar.

Delrosa Rosehip Syrup was developed in my home town, Wallsend. We were brought up on it. Loved going to “The Green” hospital for all child check ups. Mam always came away with Delrosa. The Green has now sadly gone. Any one remember The Green?

A great quiz question in the north east is three non alcoholic drinks invented in and around Newcastle?

Here’s a recipe:
Boil 3 pints (1.7 litres) of boiling water.
Mince hips in a course mincer (food processor) and put immediately into the boiling water.
Bring to boil and then place aside for 15 minutes.
Pour into a flannel or linen crash jelly bag and allow to drip until the bulk of the liquid has come through.
Return the residue to the saucepan, add 11/2 pints (852ml) of boiling water, stir and allow to stand for 10 minutes.
Pour back into the jelly bag and allow to drip.
To make sure all the sharp hairs are removed put back the first half cupful of liquid and allow to drip through again.

Put the mixed juice into a clean saucepan and boil down until the juice measures about 11/2 pints (852ml), then add 11/4 (560gm) of sugar and boil for a further 5 minutes.
Pour into hot sterile bottles and seal at once.

Thanks for the "quarter of" tip earlier. My 2kg bag of wine gums has arrived and from the experience of 6 (individual sweets) I've had in the last 3 days, these are rather good.

My childhood sweets were fruit salad and blackjacks and they were 4 for a penny in old money. Made my 6d pocket money go further.
I remember loosing a tooth to 'Everlasting Strip' toffee which was a long thin strip that was quite hard.
Can't eat any chewy sweets now without them sticking to the bits of my teeth that are exposed by receding gums and that hurts:(

advertisement

Back