advertisement

Cannot abide fruit polo's or wine gums.

What did they do to Victory Vs? Loved these in the ‘70s, proper warming in the mouth, but they disappeared from general view for a bit and reappeared a few years ago. Not how I remembered them.

Either my sense of taste has changed, or they removed something from the recipe. Probably political correctness gone mad, or health and safety, or data protection. Or sumfink.

I saw the biggest selection of Fisherman's Friends ever when we went to Iceland a few years ago. Must have been 12 flavours of Fisherman's Friends in the supermarket.

(I love to roam supermarkets when in holiday abroad.)

A few friends of mine bought the Maynard wine gum factory in north London when they relocated. A very well built structure!

I very nearly bought the 15 ft long metal Maynard‘s sign that once hung on the exterior wall.

I saw the biggest selection of Fisherman's Friends ever when we went to Iceland a few years ago. Must have been 12 flavours of Fisherman's Friends in the supermarket.

I`m not surprised, they have an entire wing of their National Gallery given over to pictures of "The Salt Cod".

I`m not surprised, they have an entire wing of their National Gallery given over to pictures of "The Salt Cod".

Yes.
There was lots of dried cod/fish for sale in the supermarkets, I declined the opportunity.

Looked chewy.

Pah! Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries. :D

My dad used to buy Old English Spangles, I think because we hated them.

He also used to like 'chewing wood,' which I also dislike. Aniseed or liquorice flavour? Horrible.

we saw many flavours in Hong Kong

Strawberry or lemon Bon Bons did it for me.

But not the white toffee ones, oh no.

Exact opposite.

The powdery white outer coating... yummers.

The strawberry ones were just wrong. I could tolerate a lemon one, if forced into a corner.

Wine gums are OK, but Jelly Babies are much better IMO.
I haven't had fruit polos in decades. Are they still a sticky gooey mess that sticks to the wrapping paper prior to being opened ? Not only are they not very nice, I seem to remember spending ages trying to peel off the bits of wrapper left behind on the sweets.

Mint polos are nice - sufficiently minty without being excessive. M&S buttermints were the Rolls Royce of mints when I was growing up.

advertisement

Back